autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: What I heard.

Post Thanks / Like

What I heard.

I was searching around the internet for car detailing sites and I came across a website that said that using and orbital at low speeds, below 2000, is as safe as using a d/a. To me this is very questionable. What do you guyz think? Also, I am thinking about breaking out the orbital on my car, and yes I know the dangers and I am very cautious about doing this but I think I can do it. I've been practicing on an old car I have. I've been using the pads from my d/a and I was wondering if this is ok. The only difference I see is the size, but I'm not the expert. Advice on any product/pad combos would be helpful too. The paint on my car is in good condition, but I have swirls and its driving me nuts.Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    it truly depends on what polish, which pad, and what type of surface. The heat transfer from a circular/rotary is much higher than the PC. Add in the rounded corners of a car, or a wool pad, and you could have some trouble. Most professionals dont use rotaries about 2000 rpms. I would pratice first, and then apply the results to your finish last. Anything else might just be uncivilized.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by killrwheels@autogeek
    it truly depends on what polish, which pad, and what type of surface. The heat transfer from a circular/rotary is much higher than the PC. Add in the rounded corners of a car, or a wool pad, and you could have some trouble. Most professionals dont use rotaries about 2000 rpms. I would pratice first, and then apply the results to your finish last. Anything else might just be uncivilized.
    I'll probably wait till I use it on my car and continue to practice on the other and play around with different combos. The swirls in my paint are bad, but not bad enough to loose any paint over. Are their any links to sites that might be helpful to learn more about the rotary process?

Post Thanks / Like
    I think the only speed you should use an orbital on is under 2000 rpms. So I believe that site was written by an amature. And since I get a pay check for detailing, I consider myself a pro.

Just be careful with the orbital... remember, take your time and when it doubt... stop and cool it down.
    *Signature removed by admin.