autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: New PC

Post Thanks / Like

Description of the action of a PC7424:

These polishers rotate the pad like an orbital polisher, and they move the pad back and forth. The dual motion means that the polisher does not stay in one spot. You might even say it propels itself. This prevents burning the paint. A dual action polisher is ideal for people who are new to mechanical detailing, or just don’t want to risk it.
    One more time in case anyone missed it:

These polishers ROTATE the pad like an ORBITAL polisher...AND they move the pad back and forth.

Is the nail in the coffin yet???

Post Thanks / Like
    I second the nail in the coffin....if all it does is "jiggle" when you apply pressure it is still doing its job.....look at the polish trail...you will still see very small swirling motions in the polish trail...just not perfectly round....remember that "orbit" is more of a side to side motion that actually rotating.....

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Nica
    Yea, my Edge 2000 pads do not rotate like in the video. I think it's the pressure, I just noticed the video and he was hardly applying any pressure, so I'm going to have to try it again and this time just let the weight of the PC do the work.

Thanks for posting the video again, even though I've been looking at it almost every day I still missed that
    Man, I wish I could get hi-speed internet !! Too bad MAX or one of the other Gods don't record it and offer it for sale. I would buy a copy of it and the other detailing videos that I can't view at 36K.
    Wm.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by orngez
    I second the nail in the coffin....if all it does is "jiggle" when you apply pressure it is still doing its job.....look at the polish trail...you will still see very small swirling motions in the polish trail...just not perfectly round....remember that "orbit" is more of a side to side motion that actually rotating.....
    Okay I finally get it.."...if all it does is "jiggle" when you apply pressure it is still doing its job..." this did it because this is what I've seen. Thank you guys for all the help really do appreciate it

But let me throw this out there, my PC's counter weight says "5 inch pads ONLY" so does this mean ONLY 5 inch...I know that there is a 6 inch counter weight available would this make a difference?

Post Thanks / Like
    Man...I thought I made it clear...you guys are making this tough...

The pad does NOT just jiggle, unless there is too much force, it is SUPPOSED to ROTATE like an orbital AND ALSO move side to side.

Reread the description of the DUAL meaning two, dual means two motions, one is in a circle, the other is an off axis wobbling, it's not supposed to STOP rotating.

What I meant by the nail in the coffin was that description should solve what BOTH motions are supposed to be once and for all.

Post Thanks / Like
    I beg to differ. The PC does not have a forced rotation like a rotary. It is free spinning, which is exactly what these guys have witnessed. It will spin in a circle, but only until pressure is applied. Then it only orbits, or moves around the axis in the same motion as your hand when you wax by hand. That is exactly why the PC is so user friendly, because it will stop spinning. If it were to orbit and spin and the same time, I would have to believe it would generate a lot more heat, and be much more likely to cause damage if misused.

Post Thanks / Like

Orbit

I disagre with you Grimm. Maybe you don't understand the original problem. When I use any of the edge pads, the pc will not rotate, however, when I switched to the white pad that came with the pc it does in fact rotate. I can apply 15lbs. of pressure to the head of the pc and it will still rotate. Rsurfer

Post Thanks / Like
    The PC does cause the pad to spin...but the spinning of the pad is from centrifugal force. This spinning is not fast enough to do any paint correction, though.

Since this is caused by centrifugal force I can hold the pad even at speed 6 and prevent it from spinning. The bigger the pad the more it will spin....I have 6" pads that will stop spinning at any amount of pressure and 7.5" that always spin no matter what speed or pressure.

Like Grimm said, the PC rotates circular but off axises, the same as your hand waxing in a circular motion, but thousands of times faster.

Edge pads, unless on speed 6, do not spin much and pretty much don't spin at all with pressure.

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree with you blkyukon and everything that blackmagic has said. The only difference that I have is that when I used the screw on white 6" pad, it does rotate and orbits unlike what you claimed with your 6" pads. Go figure!!! Your input is greatly appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by blkyukon
    The PC does cause the pad to spin...but the spinning of the pad is from centrifugal force. This spinning is not fast enough to do any paint correction, though.

Since this is caused by centrifugal force I can hold the pad even at speed 6 and prevent it from spinning. The bigger the pad the more it will spin....I have 6" pads that will stop spinning at any amount of pressure and 7.5" that always spin no matter what speed or pressure.

Like Grimm said, the PC rotates circular but off axises, the same as your hand waxing in a circular motion, but thousands of times faster.

Edge pads, unless on speed 6, do not spin much and pretty much don't spin at all with pressure.
    So to conclude, the 6 inch Edge pads don't spin much and don't spin at all with pressure. The next question is this, even though the pads are not spinning properly are they working properly?

So if I get the Lake Country pads with a 5 inch flexible backing plate they will spin/orbit and work? Just like in the video?

Sorry guys for the dumb question and I don't mean to annoy anyone but if I don't ask I'll always wonder.

Thank you

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.