autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

[Pics] Unboxing the Griots Garage 6" Polisher

I just snagged a Griots DA on sale for $111 shipped, which really sealed the deal for me as I was debating between the PC7424XP, the Meguiars G110v2, and the GG6". I know some people really like seeing exactly what you get when you buy these products so I thought I would take some pictures as I took everything out of the original packaging.

Note that this was ordered from GriotsGarage.com and not AG, so don't expect the Griots tape sealing up the box if you order from AG! I also bought a foaming sprayer, which is pictured inside the box, this is not included with the polisher (they are about $2.50 and it seems to work well).

First Impressions:
    The machine is very sturdy, and appears to be very well built. It is much heavier than the 1st generation Porter Cable 7424 which I was using previously. While I have not used it to polish a car yet, my first reaction the machine is very positive. I had heard from that this machine was not as well built as the PC or the G110v2, but I really do believe that those claims are unfounded.

I plugged the machine in and started it up, noticing that the machine has a very nice slow start feature. I think this will be great to avoid slinging product all over the car, and given my disliking for using painters tape, this will be a good feature for me. The on/off switch has a nice resistance to it, and has a unique design. You push the switch towards the head of the machine, as with the Porter Cable, but instead of sliding it back to turn off, you just press it and it "unlatches" (for lack of a better word). I don't really have an impression of this either way at this point in time.

The included backing plate is fairly stiff, and measures just under 6". It would work well for 6.5" pads -- if you want to use 5.5" pads you would need a smaller backing plate. I have one from LC on order and I will post back when I get that installed.

Not pictured are two extra carbon brushes, a thin wrench for the backing plate, and a hex wrench.

Mike Phillips

Re: [Pics] Unboxing the Griots Garage 6" Polisher

Congratulations on the new polisher!

Post Thanks / Like

Nice purchase there, that is one great machine to work with!

Post Thanks / Like

Looks very nice. I think its cool that they include a DVD for people who may be first time users.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    Congratulations on the new polisher!

Quote Originally Posted by Meghan View Post
    Nice purchase there, that is one great machine to work with!
    Thank you, I'm very excited! I'm still a detailing noob, but I've been doing my best to get up to speed as rapidly as possible. Someone gave me a 1st Gen PC7424 and while it is a nice tool, I just felt limited by its ability to maintain pad rotation on curved panels and body contours.

I feel like I am going to be much happier with this machine, and with it carrying a lifetime warranty I feel great about the investment (and it was on sale!).

I also just got my Lake Country 5" backing plate a few minutes ago from UPS -- AutoGeek packaging is really top notch -- there was no way this thing was getting damaged in transit. I have a small supply of Hydro-Tech Pads and a few W8006/9006 pads I will have to play with this weekend. Hopefully I can get my late model e36 looking new again!

The DVD is good. It's very succinct and to the point. Richard Griot himself demonstrates the tool, and it is a very easy to follow step-by-step that even the completely uninitiated would have no problems following. If you've already watched all of The Definitive Mike Phillips Collection then you'd find it a bit superfluous, but it's a nice touch regardless.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ethereal View Post
    First Impressions:
    The machine is very sturdy, and appears to be very well built. It is much heavier than the 1st generation Porter Cable 7424 which I was using previously.
    Coming from the original PC you're gonna love the difference! Using the MF DA System you can really lean into it when necessary without stopping the pad.. even at the reduced speed used with the MF pads. Put a smaller BP on the PC so it's ready to go with smaller pads when needed. The PC is still a very capable machine! I keep the small MF DA pad on mine. Always nice to have a spare anyway just in case...

I always find myself pushing the GG switch the wrong way to turn it off. ::shrug::: I wish everyone put the speed control wheel where you can reach it ala Flex without having to tip the machine and look.

TL

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I used it tonight to throw a quick coat of Mothers Carnauba Cleaner Wax onto my car, which needed a quick wash and wax. It was free when I bought some stuff at AdvancedAutoParts a while ago, and I have to say it leaves a really impressive gloss on the paint for an over the counter cleaner wax, and it was free!

The Griots is a great machine; all there is to it.

Post Thanks / Like

I would have bought it from AG and gotten price match plus 5% back. Good luck with it, though.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I wasn't sure what AutoGeek's price was on the unit, I figured they may be selling it at a loss if they did a price match + 5% which I didn't want them to do.

I always find it best to buy straight from the manufacturer when it comes to bigger ticket items like this as then they have a record of the purchase when/if a warranty issue arises.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ethereal View Post
    I always find it best to buy straight from the manufacturer when it comes to bigger ticket items like this as then they have a record of the purchase when/if a warranty issue arises.
    couldn't agree more, congrats on the new purchase...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast