autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Vet my shopping cart--Griot's, pads, and polish

I'm looking to do my first paint correction on my black Subaru 2005 STI. The paint is in pretty rough condition with superficial scratches and swirls everywhere. There are also a few deeper scratches that catch your nail that I know I won't fix with the polisher. I've been reading the forum for a while to get a better idea of what I will need to do my first job and just want some input before I pull the trigger and potentially buy the wrong thing or miss something important. Here is what I have in my cart.

1. Griot's Garage 6' random orbital with 10' inch cord (sorry don't want to pay $20 for a longer cord)
    2. M105
    3. M205
    4. Lake country dual action hook and loop 5' backing plate
    5. Lake country CCS smart pads DA 5.5' foam pad in orange, white, grey and blue.
    --I got 1 of each of these. Not sure if I need more since my car and possibly my wife's car will be the only jobs I will do.

Other questions: Since I have black paint I am interested in possibly a 3rd step with something such as PO85RD. Can I use the blue pad for this?

I also plan on applying wax to the car with the polisher. What pad do you use to remove the wax with?

Of course I plan to wash with 2 buckets and grit guard first followed by clay.

Thanks for the input. I tried to do as much research on my own before asking redundant questions.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Vet my shopping cart--Griot's, pads, and polish

Quote Originally Posted by caseENT View Post
    I'm looking to do my first paint correction on my black Subaru 2005 STI. The paint is in pretty rough condition with superficial scratches and swirls everywhere. There are also a few deeper scratches that catch your nail that I know I won't fix with the polisher. I've been reading the forum for a while to get a better idea of what I will need to do my first job and just want some input before I pull the trigger and potentially buy the wrong thing or miss something important. Here is what I have in my cart.

1. Griot's Garage 6' random orbital with 10' inch cord (sorry don't want to pay $20 for a longer cord) I did the same, as long as you have a good quality long extension cord you are fine. You will love the GG6 polisher!
    2. M105
    3. M205
    While the Meguires 105/205 combo are the most popular combo, for a new guy they are also the most finicky polishes to use IMO. There will lots of debate about this but do a search and you will find more people asking questions about how to learn to use these polishes, they are a great polish but have a learning curve for sure. I have them and do use them on occasion but I mostly reach for the Wolfgang combo. I find them easier to use and a lot easier to get a mar free finish. I would not want to try my first polishing with 105/205 on black paint ...... + they are on sale this week. Wolfgang 8 oz. Swirl Remover Combo, Wolfgang polishes, total swirl remover, finishing glaze, machine glaze
    4. Lake country dual action hook and loop 5' backing plate
    5. Lake country CCS smart pads DA 5.5' foam pad in orange, white, grey and blue. I would go with the Lake Country Thin Hydro tech pads, I like hydro tech foam much better than the ccs Foam, it does not absorb mas much product and they finish better. Lake Country Hydro-Tech 5 1/2 x 7/8 Inch Foam Pads , hydrotech foam pads for water-based polishes, lake country foam pads, buffing pads
    --I got 1 of each of these. Not sure if I need more since my car and possibly my wife's car will be the only jobs I will do. I'd go with about 3 of the cyan and tangerine and one crimson for now. You need more than one because the pads get saturated during polishing and you get build up from polishing. A clean pads works much better than a used soaked one. If it's in your budget you may want to consider a 4" backing plate and a couple of each cyan and tangerine 4" pads for those tight hard to get areas.

Other questions: Since I have black paint I am interested in possibly a 3rd step with something such as PO85RD. Can I use the blue pad for this? Starting out I would say there is no reason for this. You have daily driver that when finished will look leap years ahead of where they are now and as you mentioned there will be a few deep scratches you can't get anyway. You can save this for a later date for a way to advance and tweak your system.

I also plan on applying wax to the car with the polisher. What pad do you use to remove the wax with? For application I use a Black or Blue CCS pad, I've used a Crimson HT pad in the past and never noticed any marring but there is some debate about this so for now I have switched to black ccs. I also prefer to use a 4" pad just because it get into much tighter spaces. To answer your question I remove my waxes and sealants with a good quality microfiber towel this way I can inspect the paint as I go and can be sure to get it off in all the areas. It is very easy to wipe off with most of todays waxes and sealants

Of course I plan to wash with 2 buckets and grit guard first followed by clay.

Thanks for the input. I tried to do as much research on my own before asking redundant questions.
    With the above all said, you should also take a hard look at the Meguires Micro Fiber polishing system Meguiars DA Microfiber Correction System, paint polishing system, car polish, car detailing system, compounding system, remove scratches This system has awesome correction capability and is very easy to use! I prefer the foam HT pads and the WG combo but if you were to take a poll here you would find me in the minority I would bet. If you go this rout then you could drop the LC 5" backing plate and buy the 5" starter kit that comes with a Meguires 5" backing plate Meguiars DA Microfiber Correction System 5 Inch Starter Kit, paint correction kit, dual action polishing kit Then add a couple more each of the cutting and finishing pads and you are all set. IMO this is the easiest for a new person to use and has awesome correction capability and fantastic finishing results in a true 2 step process (you can has LSP protection after the final polishing step). For a great final step for daily drivers (or any car for that matter) you could do a coat of Collinite 845 wax Collinite Liquid Insulator Wax #845, liquid wax, heat-resistant wax, car wax great durability and shine. I just recommended this combo to a friend and he is supper happy, heck he even treated me to pizza and beer and he is cheap!

There are tons of options and systems, for every person that like one thing there is another that likes something else. You will find your self over time trying different things and changing what you use but like Mike Phillips says, "find something you like and use it often". There will be lots of time to try more products and I assure you you will!

This is only mypersonall opinion, I hope you get some other feedback to help you decide what to order for the first time. Don't forget to watch for the free shipping blocks, sales, and use those forum discount codes to save you some cash!

~~ Yale

Oh and WELCOME!

"Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration." Lincoln's First Annual Message to Congress, December 3, 1861.

Newport, Oregon USA!

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Wow, thank you for taking the time for such a thoughtful response. I will definitely check out those links. I am not married to the idea of using 105/205. It just seemed like the most common thing on this forum so figured I couldn't go wrong.

Any input some others would be appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like

Black BMW, just started correcting and am in love with 85rd. Have hit it twice now with a LCountry gray and a blue. Both times, amazing.

Followed it up with a Blackfire Wet Diamond Seal and wow. Now if only I could fix my road rash.