autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Not happy with Griots/Menz result...

BLK,

I PM'ed BobbyG. Here's what he had to say:

"The clears on Corvettes are especially hard from the factory and also very thin. Make sure he didn't break through the clear.

It certainly won't hurt to give the Meguiar's product you have a try..

Depending on the damage he did you might need to begin with Menzerna Power Gloss and bump up the speed to 5 with an Orange foam pad.

Menzerna Power Finish PO203 is a bit less aggressive and I'd probably start here with a White Pad.

Menzerna Super Finish PO106FA is a real favorite of mine. This has a 2.5 / 5 for the cut to gloss ratio. Use this with a gray and blue pad on a DA ."

Post Thanks / Like

Generally, the clears on newer Corvettes are especially hard from the factory and also very thin. I have a C5 Z06 and the clear is extremely hard..

Menzerna Power Gloss is a great product and I've used it with both a rotary and dual action polisher. Speeds on the rotary are generally 1400 to 1600 rpm and 5 to 6 on my dual action polisher. I prefer to use this with my rotary polisher and a purple wool / foam pad. If I do use it with my dual action polisher I'll use a Yellow or Orange pad on speed 5 to 6.

Menzerna Power Gloss is very aggressive and is designed to remove sanding grit scratches between 1000 and 1500. In reading your description it sounds like the surface defects you're trying to remove are much finer. I think this may have happened and you induced additional swirls because of using a very coarse product.

Menzerna Power Gloss won't give much of a gloss at all, in fact it will look very hazy but smooth and consistent.

The chart below will help in understanding what to try and when. It's helped me fine tune a process when I'm scratching my head.

Menzerna Power Finish PO203 is a bit less aggressive and I'd probably start here with a White Pad.

Menzerna Super Finish PO106FA is a real favorite of mine. This has a 2.5 / 5 for the cut to gloss ratio and will make the finish like glass. Use this with a gray and blue pad on a DA .

If you really want to push the gloss up try Menzerna PO85RD shown above.

Take your time and do a few test spots and gage your progress. perform 3 to 6 sectional passes on a 2' X 2' area and complete one panel at a time...

Good luck,

BobbyG - 2004 Millennium Yellow Z06 Corvette

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the in-depth write up Bobby.

I have ordered the stuff you (and Heavy) recommended.

I did not break thru the clear anywhere- I actually am a certified PPG/DuPont refinisher so I'm fairly knowledgeable about clear coat and paint systems. Obviously, I'm not a professional detailer but both PPG and DuPont require training on wet-sanding and buffing (rotary) before certification is issued.

I have a buddy with a ABS/Plastic paint thickness gauge and I plan on taking some readings on my car when I get time. Its more of a curiosity thing.

I've also had some conversations with some Bowling Green techs, and they informed me that the newer 2009-up Vettes have roughly 2 coats of clear on any major panel- which is sufficent thickness mil-wise to do minor 2000 grit sanding if neccessary.

Just an FYI- in case you were curious.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BLKZ06 View Post
    Thanks for the in-depth write up Bobby.

I have ordered the stuff you (and Heavy) recommended.

I did not break thru the clear anywhere- I actually am a certified PPG/DuPont refinisher so I'm fairly knowledgeable about clear coat and paint systems. Obviously, I'm not a professional detailer but both PPG and DuPont require training on wet-sanding and buffing (rotary) before certification is issued.

I have a buddy with a ABS/Plastic paint thickness gauge and I plan on taking some readings on my car when I get time. Its more of a curiosity thing.

I've also had some conversations with some Bowling Green techs, and they informed me that the newer 2009-up Vettes have roughly 2 coats of clear on any major panel- which is sufficent thickness mil-wise to do minor 2000 grit sanding if neccessary.

Just an FYI- in case you were curious.
    Awesome and congratulations!!

Great to hear and thank you for posting.

I'm glad GM's decided to add a bit more clear to an $80,000 dollar car, I mean this is not the time or the place to be cheap... Thank you again..

BobbyG - 2004 Millennium Yellow Z06 Corvette

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BobbyG View Post
    Awesome and congratulations!!

Great to hear and thank you for posting.

I'm glad GM's decided to add a bit more clear to an $80,000 dollar car, I mean this is not the time or the place to be cheap... Thank you again..
    Thanks for your recommendations!

I plan on updating this thread as soon as my new Menz stuff gets here.

Post Thanks / Like

Just food for thought...

I've had excellent results with Meguiars M105 and M205 with both a Flex P-14 rotary and GG6 DA using the Kevin Brown Method.

GG6 DA:
    M105/LC orange 5.5" flat/speed 5-5.5/15lb pressure/1" per second arm speed. (2-3 pad rotations ped second)
    M205/LC white 5.5" flat/Speed 4-5/10lb pressure/1"-2" per second arm speed. (4-5 pad rotations ped second)
    Menz PO85/LC black 5.5" flat/Speed 4-5//10lb pressure/1"-2" per second arm speed. (4-5 pad rotations ped second)

Follow that with Menz Top Inspection check/wipe down then three coats of Z-2 with ZFX. This is my GoTo combo that works for me.

Post Thanks / Like

Most Vettes I've done have been in decent shape. I go straight to SIP/orange/rotary then 85RD/black/DA.

Anything deeper and I do 105/orange/rotary with 85RD/black/DA.

Do a test spot when your products arrive.
    There is vast amounts of knowledge at your fingertips, use Google, Youtube, and the search button.

Post Thanks / Like

I used the 85rd on my black vette and was not all that impressed - plus I had to buy a liter of it

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by maxniman View Post
    I used the 85rd on my black vette and was not all that impressed - plus I had to buy a liter of it
    It would be nice if it came in a smaller size. I had great results with 85rd. I've never had a bad experience with any Menz product

Post Thanks / Like

I have as well had great results with the Menz line, I use SIP with orange, 106 with white, and PO85rd with blue LC CCS pads. Car comes out looking amazing.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast