autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Question on selecting pads to work in tight areas

I have a few questions regarding my 7424 and polshing pads. I am getting ready to purchase a few things and I need to get some pads to corrct the top part of my rear bumpr. It has never been machine polished before due to the fact that there it not too much of a overgang lip to really fit a pad to do so. If I used a 5.5" pads, there'd be some overhang off the edge while polishing. I don't know if this is a good idea or not, or if this could cause the pad to flex around when it's not making contact and cause more of a problem. Or I could use a 4" pad, but from what I have read these are intended to be used to correct a small defect or a small section. Are these safe enough and will hold up long enough to do something such as to top part of my rear?

If a 4" pad is the way to go, is there a different counterweight that must be used for much smaller pads? I noticed on the original weight on my 7424 it says to use 5" pads

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Question on selecting pads to work in tight areas

I bought a Griot's Garage 3" RO polisher from Autogeek for just that reason. It's also great for doing the A/B/C pillars, painted mirrors, etc. I've even used it to polish glass, headlamps and tail lights.
    2007 Ford Edge SEL AWD 2006 Ford Mustang GT 2009 Ford F-150 XLT Supercab 4x4

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 05RLS2 View Post
    I have a few questions regarding my 7424 and polshing pads. I am getting ready to purchase a few things and I need to get some pads to corrct the top part of my rear bumpr. It has never been machine polished before due to the fact that there it not too much of a overgang lip to really fit a pad to do so. If I used a 5.5" pads, there'd be some overhang off the edge while polishing. I don't know if this is a good idea or not, or if this could cause the pad to flex around when it's not making contact and cause more of a problem. Or I could use a 4" pad, but from what I have read these are intended to be used to correct a small defect or a small section. Are these safe enough and will hold up long enough to do something such as to top part of my rear?

If a 4" pad is the way to go, is there a different counterweight that must be used for much smaller pads? I noticed on the original weight on my 7424 it says to use 5" pads
    I have the same issue with my wife's Lexus. The LC 4" HT or CCS pads will work for this area. Just be aware that apparently because of the 1.25" thickness, the 4" pads don't correct as quickly as the thin 5.5 pads. I had to really back off on the pressure as the pads will squash and stop spinning quite easily and I had go to a longer polish time and multiple passes with the same compound to get the correction and gloss I wanted.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not sure for your PC specifically but I can tell you 4" pads will hold up fine. I was using the FLex Edge adapter with 4" pads (a story unto itslef) but my buddy had a custom Flex BP made for me that is just less than 4" in dia. With this I purchased a pile of 4" HT pads and so far I love them as much as my 6 1/2" pads.
    :dancebanana:

Sky's the Limit Car Care

Post Thanks / Like

I really like the Buff & Shine 4 in pads. The center is recessed for you BP and the shape of the foam in perfect for tight areas.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Troy Fuller View Post
    I really like the Buff & Shine 4 in pads. The center is recessed for you BP and the shape of the foam in perfect for tight areas.
    That'll be my next purchase. The 5.5" pads are amazing.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyMetal View Post
    I have the same issue with my wife's Lexus. The LC 4" HT or CCS pads will work for this area. Just be aware that apparently because of the 1.25" thickness, the 4" pads don't correct as quickly as the thin 5.5 pads. I had to really back off on the pressure as the pads will squash and stop spinning quite easily and I had go to a longer polish time and multiple passes with the same compound to get the correction and gloss I wanted.
    That makes sense due to the thickness. With the 5.5" pads do you not get vibrations from the pad when it it not making contact to the surface? I always though that this could always cause more marring due to the fact that the pad might be off balanced