autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Help with which pads to use on my 7424

I have a PC 7424 (First style, not the 7424xp) and have been using LC CCS pads since the couple years I have had it. Overall, the combination of the 7424, 6.5" and 5.5" orange and white CCS pads has worked well for me when it comes to polishing, but I believe I can achive better results with different pads. There are some places on my car where there there are curves and angles that the pads just don't really make the best contact. Afterwards I can still see some slight swirling from the pads not making the best contact and breaking the polish down all the way.

My car is a bright red newer model GM, that is in pretty good shape with lighter swirling from washing nothing that neglected at all or needs to see a real tough polish and pads. I'm not a pro detailer by any means, just a hobbyist, so I'd like the use pads that are fairly easy to get the hang of using.

Which of the LC pads do you all reccomend that are pretty versatile and work well on flat and contoured surfaces? I have been looking at the flat, hydo tech, and kompressor pads, but am unsure which are better to use. The Kompressor pads claims to be made to work well on contoured surfacers, but the individual fingers on the pad worry me for some reason I could see these creating holograming and swirling or the fingers breaking off. Do you all have any suggestions for an amateur to polish with?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Help with which pads to use on my 7424

If you plan to buy new pads already, you may want to look at the new Meg MF pad system.
    Luxury Mobile Auto Detailing
    Pensacola & Orlando

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LuxuryMobile View Post
    If you plan to buy new pads already, you may want to look at the new Meg MF pad system.
    This it?
    Meguiars DA Microfiber Correction System 5 Inch Starter Kit, paint correction kit, dual action polishing kit

I am not familiar with the DA Microfiber Correction Compound, but is it comparable to any other of the other Meguiars polishes when it comes to cut an finishing? It seems hard to believe, but does the DA Correction Compound actually correct and finish well all in one step like the directions seem to imply?

Post Thanks / Like

Yea thats it.

Check through the show and shine's where guys have used the system. Very impressive stuff.
    Luxury Mobile Auto Detailing
    Pensacola & Orlando

Post Thanks / Like

I also have the first generation Porter Cable 7424. I was amazed at the difference in performance when I switched from the 6 1/2" to the 5 1/2" pads. If you stick with the foam pads you can't go wrong with these from Lake Country.....

Lake Country 5 1/2 x 7/8 inch Beveled Edge Pads 6 Pack, foam pad kit, build a kit, buffing pads, curved edge pads

BobbyG - 2004 Millennium Yellow Z06 Corvette

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BobbyG View Post
    I also have the first generation Porter Cable 7424. I was amazed at the difference in performance when I switched from the 6 1/2" to the 5 1/2" pads. If you stick with the foam pads you can't go wrong with these from Lake Country.....

Lake Country 5 1/2 x 7/8 inch Beveled Edge Pads 6 Pack, foam pad kit, build a kit, buffing pads, curved edge pads
    I am thinking that a less thicker pad will also help polishing performance too, since the CCS pads are thicker than the LC Flat pads