autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

6.5 inch pad for GG DA?

Getting ready to buy supplies this month, what's better for the GG DA?? 5.5 or 6.5 in pads? It will be buffing my truck, parents excursion, sisters focus, and a toy hauler. Thanks
    David 2000 Ford F-350 DRW CCLB BLACK/GOLD
    Wish list:
    Everything Mike has in his garage for detailing

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 6.5 inch pad for GG DA?

Most will tell you 5.5 since it's thinner, resulting in faster correction. I use the Griots with 6.5 and even 7.5 with great results.
    There is vast amounts of knowledge at your fingertips, use Google, Youtube, and the search button.

Post Thanks / Like

Stick with 5.5" pads. The GG DA can turn 6.5" pads but it is way slower. Maybe look into picking up a couple Optimum MF cutting and polishing pads.
    Ryan 2006 Volvo S60 R

Post Thanks / Like

Since it comes with a 6" backing plate you can use 6.5" pads. Unlike the Porter Cable, the Griots can spin the larger pads. You can always get some MF pads for more correction.

Post Thanks / Like

6.5" the max.
    Flex 3401 & PE14

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jomax View Post
    Getting ready to buy supplies this month, what's better for the GG DA?? 5.5 or 6.5 in pads? It will be buffing my truck, parents excursion, sisters focus, and a toy hauler. Thanks
    I use both, but, prefer the 5.5. I initially used 6.5 since that is the standard backing plate. I eventually got the 5 in BP and 5.5 in pads. Now I use my 6.5 in pads on my Flex 3401 and my rotary.

With that said, the Excursion and toy hauler are mighty large vehicles. Tough call on that. 6.5 will hold more product and cover more area, but, 5.5 will corrrect faster.

I think I would go with Megs MF DA system in 5.5 inch. The kit comes with a 5 in BP. You will get quick correction and nice finishing with that system. Some repaints are not as user friendly with it. Has the Excursion been repainted?

Meguiars DA Microfiber Correction System 5 Inch Starter Kit, paint correction kit, dual action polishing kit
    Kevin
    Griots Garage 6in ROP, 3in ROP, pneumatic 3in polisher
    Flex 3401, Porter Cable PC7424 (the old non-XP model).

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 5.4 Shelby View Post
    I use both, but, prefer the 5.5. I initially used 6.5 since that is the standard backing plate. I eventually got the 5 in BP and 5.5 in pads. Now I use my 6.5 in pads on my Flex 3401 and my rotary.

With that said, the Excursion and toy hauler are mighty large vehicles. Tough call on that. 6.5 will hold more product and cover more area, but, 5.5 will corrrect faster.

I think I would go with Megs MF DA system in 5.5 inch. The kit comes with a 5 in BP. You will get quick correction and nice finishing with that system. Some repaints are not as user friendly with it. Has the Excursion been repainted?

Meguiars DA Microfiber Correction System 5 Inch Starter Kit, paint correction kit, dual action polishing kit
    Three spots.. Rear quarter panel(jacked knifed trailer) and they blended it with the rear door, so I count the whole rear door, and the hood was repainted. They had it since new so that's all that was painted.
    David 2000 Ford F-350 DRW CCLB BLACK/GOLD
    Wish list:
    Everything Mike has in his garage for detailing

Post Thanks / Like

Three spots.. Rear quarter panel(jacked knifed trailer) and they blended it with the rear door, so I count the whole rear door, and the hood was repainted. They had it since new so that's all that was painted.
    You might have to adjust your technique in those areas. Then again, you might not. I would be prepared to adjust it. The rest of the car should respond well to the MFDA system if that is what you choose. Even if you end up with foam pads, you might have to adjust technique on the repainted parts.
    Kevin
    Griots Garage 6in ROP, 3in ROP, pneumatic 3in polisher
    Flex 3401, Porter Cable PC7424 (the old non-XP model).

Post Thanks / Like

A point was brought up about the Opti MF pads for polishing, sorry to hi-jack the thread a tad but are the MF pads that much better for correction when using a good machine polish compared to foam pads for polishing? If so, why is this? Thanks guys!
    2022 Elantra N Cyber Gray
    Some say..."He likes Swedish fish because they're made with caranuba wax"

Post Thanks / Like

A six pack of 5.5" flat pads will cost you $35--a six pack of 6.5" flat pads will cost you $50. With your first six pack you save almost enough to buy a 5" backing plate so everytime after that you purchase pads you'll be saving money. And even though the GG has the power to handle the larger pads it will correct faster with the 5.5" pads. I can't believe 6.5" pads will save you as much time on a large vehicle as 5.5" pads will save you on correction and polishing times as they are the most time consuming step in detailing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast