autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    As the "semi-official" senior old man around here (just about 63): I don't have problems with my back. Year's ago, I hurt my back in a snowmobile accident and did a lot of back exercises to get myself back in shape.

Today, I have the lift at the shop, but I can still do lots of stretch work (suv hoods, etc).

You might want to try one of those stretch bands that warehouse workers use. They provide a ton of support and are not too expensive. Also, do some research on back muscle exercises.

Toto

Post Thanks / Like
    the car is actually partially to blame. Corvettes sit very low, and back pains are not uncommon getting in and out, especially with addtl lowering. As such you are constantly buffing down, and your spine and neck are curved. Stretching might help some for higher parts, stopping after each panel and reflexing. I find that with the sides, the little carts used in gardens (plastic) work extremely well or sitting on your bum....

Scott

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree with Scott. I can do a large SUV and feel fine but I can do a much smaller but lower can and feel beat. Bending over and reaching wears on me more than just working a large panel. Another thing is the PC itself. It's rough to use. Vibrates alot compared to a rotary. Yeah a rotary weighs more but you're only using it in half the time that you would the PC. Plus, it's totally smooth. No numb hands after using.
    Formerly "justin30513"

www.clean4udetailing.com

Post Thanks / Like
    I feel you Lauren I'm 32, and I get sore too. But then I don't have a great back, and it gets sore from other things. All I have to do is bend over slightly for a period of time. Like before we had a dishwasher, my back would get sore doing dishes at the sink.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a bad back and this is what I use for all lower panels. The main thing is to rest when you feel the "burn"

Last edited by dengood1; 01-05-2007 at 09:17 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JSR
    I went to PEP BOYS and bought one of the little red (matching??) roller chairs to work on the vertical parts of my BMW. I think it was $39 or something. Works great, padded seat, little tray underneath, do a whole side without getting up or abusing my knees. Still get a little stiff after 10-11 passes on the car but nowhere near what I used to.
    But then, I am also in my 50's and 6'4" so the only place I do not bend for is the roof.
    GREAT IDEA..........MY NEXT STOP.......PEP BOYS

THANKS

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BILL
    GREAT IDEA..........MY NEXT STOP.......PEP BOYS

THANKS
    $19.99 at Sears

Post Thanks / Like
    I sit on the driveway to do all the side panels of my corvette. The back end isn't that bad since it's about waist high. The hood though is the worst to me. It's lower than my waist and very wide so I have to reach out a lot to do the center. The hood is hard work!
    Last edited by Rapidity; 01-05-2007 at 11:31 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ok I am over 30, have a large SUV, and I do not have these problems! Is this what I have to look forward too??

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Meghan
    Ok I am over 30, have a large SUV, and I do not have these problems! Is this what I have to look forward too??
    Nah, some people have back problems, some people don't. I've had problems since my early 20's from lifting weights and my job, which requires me to lift 100-200 boxes daily with some weighing 70lbs+. Some days I can't stand up straight! I wake up in the morning with my back killing me and am thinking about getting a Posturpedic mattress. Anyone have one? Thoughts??
    Last edited by dengood1; 01-05-2007 at 11:09 AM.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast