autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: PC Results

Post Thanks / Like

PC Results

I deceided to take home a junk hood from a Honda Accord, Nighthawk Black pearl from our dealerships body shop so that I could experiment without fear.
    I started with the PC and the SwirlBuster Orange pad from Autopia and Spyder Compound from Chemical Guys. I then swithed to a fresh Orange pad and Menerza IP, followed by Menerzas FPII and a green pad. I then used a black pad and Menerza Finishing glaze. Finally Klasse AIO topped with Sourveran. Below are the results. I realize much better noiw what can and cannot be acomplished with the PC, and also am sure that using my technique, I will do no harm.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails PC Results-p1010007-jpg   PC Results-p1010008-jpg   PC Results-p1010011-jpg  

Post Thanks / Like
    I wish I had some junk hood to practice with my rotary on.

Post Thanks / Like
    Check out any body shop. They've all got scrap piles that they will be happy to get rid of. I just waited until I saw a black hood, since my cars are black, I wanted to practice on black too.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Light-Zone
    Check out any body shop. They've all got scrap piles that they will be happy to get rid of. I just waited until I saw a black hood, since my cars are black, I wanted to practice on black too.
    Your right, body shop love to get rid of old parts!

Post Thanks / Like
    If you have the time, discuss the techniques, products, and time it took. This could be a valuable source for newbies that get frustrated when they first use the PC.

Scott

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Looks good...I plan to use the PC on my sister's car before I try it on my own. She doesn't mind, so that's a bonus
    2006 Infiniti G35 Coupe 6MT

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by killrwheels@autogeek
    If you have the time, discuss the techniques, products, and time it took. This could be a valuable source for newbies that get frustrated when they first use the PC.

"Dogs in cars again. Going away. Going away fast" - P.D. Eastman, Go, Dog. Go!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Reddwarf
    Sorry, I've been quite busy at work the past few days.

The reason for this experiment was to see how agressive I could be with the products I already own, and to see not only the final results, but the results after each stage of the process as well. This way I could gauge the progress when actually working on my car. The only difference being, my SLK is in fine condition, whereas this hood was a mess.

I began by cleaning the hood using P21s cleaner. I know, it's strong stuff, but I wanted to remove all unknown waxes and sealents to in effect, start with a clean slate.

I then used Spyder, a compound/polish from CG, and a new pad I had just received from Autopia called the Swirlbuster. It's an orange pad, about 3X the thickness of my other pads, and is very firm as well. I applied the Spyder in 2 lines from the squeeze bottle, each about 8 in. long to work half the hood. I was able to work the product about 3-4 minutes and with substantial pressure too. Don't forget, this was an experiment, and I had no fear of ruining my paint. I buffed off the remainder after the polish began to break down. I could have gone another minute longer with the PC, but wanted to move on.

Next was a fresh "regular" orange pad, and Menzera IP. I followed the same proceedure as above, trying, with additional pressure (more than I had ever dared to use on mu SLK) to make a dent in the micr-marring of the paint.

Then on to the FPII with a green pad (one from a competitors store, made for German Paints). After the FPII stage I could have stopped and the results would have probably been visually very similar to what the results were after using the Menzernas Finishing Glaze. But I continued.

After topping the Fininshing Glaze with Souveran, the results were amazing. Spider Webbing gone! Minor Scuffs either greatly dimished or gone, but obviously deeper scratches were still to be seen.

All in all, a worthwhile experiment and good use of a half an hours time. I'm much more familiar with the products I own and understand what they can and cannot do. I highly reccomend this to any and all who spend their hard earned money looking for the best results for their paint.

Light-Zone