autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like
    Great job!
    Did you say it almost took you a divorse?
    2008 Acura MDX Sport white pearl (daily driver)
    2009 BMW E70 X5 4.8i jet black (garage queen)
    2013 BMW F25 X3 2.8 jet black (wife's car)

Post Thanks / Like
    I feel for ya gandblah. I had the same expectations after reading it takes people 4-6 hours to do the entire vehicle. So I figured maybe 8 since I'm new to doing the polishing. Well it took me about 14 hours to do a complete detail not even touching the engine bay. I figure it was about 10-11 on the exterior. I don't think I risked a divorce, but my wife was sure getting annoyed that I was in the garage from Saturday to Saturday the entire week.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by supercharged
    Great job!
    Yeah - good weather is rare in Colorado these days and I spent all 3 of the rare days that we got polishing the car - so - wifey wasn't too thrilled !!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimm
    I feel for ya gandblah. I had the same expectations after reading it takes people 4-6 hours to do the entire vehicle. So I figured maybe 8 since I'm new to doing the polishing. Well it took me about 14 hours to do a complete detail not even touching the engine bay. I figure it was about 10-11 on the exterior. I don't think I risked a divorce, but my wife was sure getting annoyed that I was in the garage from Saturday to Saturday the entire week.
    Grimm knows !! Thanks for making me feel better - I thought I was a slow dunce who should get this detailing bug off his back ASAP !!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by supercharged
    Great job!
    Nice choice of car supercharged. Are you active on Acurazine too?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by gandblah
    Grimm knows !! Thanks for making me feel better - I thought I was a slow dunce who should get this detailing bug off his back ASAP !!
    I started doing everthing the "right way" this past summer and it was taking me from 12-16 hours to do the car. As we get more experienced, we'll get better and faster.

The hardest part is the endurance, it is a lot of work and after so many hours, you begin to fade. It's amazing how these guys can detail all day, every day. I try to make myself take breaks or else I'll get tired, start rushing to get done and get sloppy.

As painful as it could be, the end result makes it all worth it. For me, what's very motivating is knowing I did it myself (of course all what I do is based on what I learn here). It's a great feeling to drive down the street knowing your car looks better than anybody else out there, that is until you run across somebody from here

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah, I figure a lot of time on mine was wasted by doing it so many different days. I worked on mine I think like 3 hours on Saturday, then a couple on Sunday, then like an hour or so every night, and finished with like 4 on the next Saturday. You figure with all the time getting started, getting the PC ready, cleaning the pads, etc. that probably is an extra hour or more right there. The way my back felt though, I know I couldn't do detailing on a daily basis.

I was really hoping to start doing it on the side for a little extra cash, but unless I can cut my time in half I don't know if it's worth the effort. I hate the thought of wasting entire Saturdays for a little extra money. Not to mention with a two year old and a one month old at home I probably WOULD end up divorced.
    Last edited by Grimm; 12-27-2006 at 02:29 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    That is good work, I am also getting ready for my first, but need to wait for the weather to get warmer.

Post Thanks / Like
    looks great i cant wait to try my hand.... I have a silver car too... wish it was black

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12