autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Excessive vibration normal w/ 7424?

Hello,
    I bought a 7424 package from AG this month. I got a great deal and service was superb. Thanks AG.

I used my 7424 today. When I first began using it at speed 5, vibration was definitely noticeable but not excessive. After a few hours, the vibration was excessive to the point that I couldn't hold on to the side handle at speed 5. I was examining the 7424 and noticed that I was able to tip the backing plate back and forth quite a bit. When I did this, the backing plate was not perpendicular to the machine.

Is my 7424 defective or is this normal?

Marty

I forgot to mention that I'm using a 5" backing plate w/ a 5.5" pad and the correct counterweight. The backing plate is tightened and there is a spacer.
    Last edited by inssane3gt; 12-23-2006 at 02:06 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    That doesn't sound normal. The PC does vibrate quite a bit, but the backing plate shouldn't have any play in it...at least mine doesn't. I'd double-check to make sure it's attached correctly. If it is and the problem persists contact AG, I'm sure they'll make it right.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you for your reply sir. I've got the 7424 in front of me right now. I took the backing plate off. I'm able to rock the nut where the backing plate screws into back and forth quite a bit. The entire part with the counterweight is shifting. I'll contact AG.

Thanks,
    Marty

Post Thanks / Like
    I don't know whether your PC is under warranty or not. If it isn't here's a link that discusses in detail how to replace the bearings in the head of the PC. Mods, if this link isn't allowed please delete. I've also included a parts diagram and parts price list.

http://www.detailcity.org/forums/car...+cable+bearing

http://www.toolpartsdirect.com/cgi-b...tercable/7424/

When it comes to a persons worth, money is a lousy way to keep score.
    - GH

Post Thanks / Like
    You may also want to consider removing the side handle. I haven't used it, but I've heard mention that the machine seems to vibrate more, or be harder to handle using the handle. I like just having my hand directly over the pad. I feel more in control.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GearHead_1
    I don't know whether your PC is under warranty or not. If it isn't here's a link that discusses in detail how to replace the bearings in the head of the PC. Mods, if this link isn't allowed please delete. I've also included a parts diagram and parts price list.

http://www.detailcity.org/forums/car...+cable+bearing

http://www.toolpartsdirect.com/cgi-b...tercable/7424/
    Thanks for the reply. I bought the machine this month and only used it for one day. I don't think there will be a problem getting it replaced. But thank you for the links, I did read the diy bearing removal as it will come in handy down the road.

Marty

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimm
    You may also want to consider removing the side handle. I haven't used it, but I've heard mention that the machine seems to vibrate more, or be harder to handle using the handle. I like just having my hand directly over the pad. I feel more in control.
    When I first began polishing I had the handle on with moderate vibration. As hours passed I had to take the side handle off and place my other hand directly on top as you mentioned due to the vibration. I was able to finish the polishing. I waxed by hand afterwards.

Marty

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    I took another look at the machine. I don't think the bearings are faulty because if I hold the housing (where the counterweight screws into) down, there is no play when shifting the nut (where the backing plate screws into). But if shift the nut without holding anything down there is about 1/8" play vertically and horizontally.

Happy Holidays,
    Marty

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by inssane3gt
    I took another look at the machine. I don't think the bearings are faulty because if I hold the housing (where the counterweight screws into) down, there is no play when shifting the nut (where the backing plate screws into). But if shift the nut without holding anything down there is about 1/8" play vertically and horizontally.

Happy Holidays,
    Marty
    I'll be interested to see what you find out with this machine. Keep us posted.

When it comes to a persons worth, money is a lousy way to keep score.
    - GH

Post Thanks / Like
    Insane3Gt
    I am familiar with this machine use been using one for years as a sanding machine.
    Remove pad, take out the to screaws with washers, that hold the weight.
    Now you should be able to pull out the bearing. Under this bearing is a philips screaw that holds a hub to the shaft.
    Had to replace this hub once. You might be able to take the woble out by tightening this screaw.
    lol
    Last edited by Ritchie Lee; 12-25-2006 at 12:38 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast