autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Red face Bought a DeWALT DW443 Dual Action Sander/Polisher! Help...

Bought a DeWALT DW443 Dual Action Sander/Polisher! Help...

Hey guys!

I had bought a DeWALT DW443 dual action sander to use as a polisher, a couple of days back.

Actually, I went for it since it was the closest thing to a DA polisher available here!(No DA polishers are available here locally!)

Also the specs were quite close to that of the Porter Cable 7424XP except for the fixed backing plate.

Here's a quick product description from Amazon.com
    Quote Originally Posted by Amazon.com
    The DEWALT DW443 right angle orbit sander is easy to use and delivers superior finish with 4.3 amp motor which sands at the speed between 4,300 and 6,800 orbits per minute.

Ergonomically designed with counter-balanced dual plane and gear case with rubber overlay for low vibration, the DW443 is comfortable to use for longer periods of time. It features a built in side handle, high capacity dust bag, and 10- percent ball-bearing construction for increased durability and longer life. Use it 6-inch, simple to replace hook and loop paper.
    I've ordered 6(nos.) 6.5" LC pads(2 orange, 2 white, 1 gray and 1 red) for it.

I just wanted to confirm/ rather, I wanted opinions of all you guys on how this unit is?

It feels really sturdy, has excellent build quality and has 5mm pad throw.

I had an old 8" pad meant for my rotary that I attached to it and kinda pressed it down on the back of my hand with the unit running. It didn't hurt a bit(though it was vibrating!)

So I guess it shouldn't hurt the paint!?

Here are a few pictures :-

Sorry for the image heavy post!

I really have no idea how this will be as compared to PC7424XP or G110v2.

How are the specs?
    Will this prove to be a worthy polisher?

Thanks

Mike Phillips

Re: Bought a DeWALT dual action sander/polisher! Help...

I have not used one of these personally but I posted something about this recently as it relates to the old Griot's Garage DA Polisher, let me see if I can find my post and copy what I wrote there so I don't have to retype the same reply...

Hang tight... super search in progress....

Mike Phillips

Here's the thread...

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...plan-look.html

It's towards the end... hang tight...

Mike Phillips

The pertinent part is on page 5, I suggest reading through the thread or at least pages 4 and 5, here's the link to page 5

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...an-look-5.html

And here's my comments, a portion from post 48, be sure to read about the history of the PC i the included link as it too will explain what the deal is...

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips

There's a lot of "orbital wood sanders" in the wood sanding industry and a lot of people think that because it's the same "type" of tool it will work to polish paint, but the fact is the only orbital wood sander, (that I know of), that's ever been successfully moved from the wood sanding industry to the paint polishing industry is the Porter Cable 7 series and their relatively new kissing cousins, the "New" Griot's Garage 6" Random Orbital Polisher and the Meguiar's G110 series... which are both patterned after the Porter Cable Unit.

So you need to give that tool to someone you know that sands wood and transition over to one of the new models or a PC or a Meguiar's unit.

I think I cover more of the history of the PC here,

The Free Floating Spindle Assembly - The Story Behind The Story...

Now what I wrote about "Wood Sanders" in general either applies to your DeWalt or it doesn't, the only way you can find out is to place a foam buffing pad on it, add some chemical to the face of the pad, (lubrication), place the face of the pad onto the surface of some clean pad, turn the polisher on at the highest setting and then apply some firm pressure, 10 to 15 pounds and see if the pad rotates under pressure.

If it will rotate a pad under pressure... then it will remove swirsl...

If it won't rotate a pad under pressure... this it won't remove swirls...

It was designed to oscillate a thin piece of paper... (sandpaper), huge difference between a thin piece of paper and a foam buffing pad that's going to get wet with product.

Mike Phillips

6 minutes in 3 replies to search, find, copy and paste all the related information...

Let us know how your pad rotation under pressure test goes...

Be sure to somehow mark you pad or backing plate to be able to see if the pad is in fact rotating.

Mike Phillips

Here's one way of marking a backing plate to be able to monitor pad rotation...

5.5" Hydro-Tech pads

Under pressure, pad rotation won't be fast but it does have to rotate...

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by sohail99 View Post
    It feels really sturdy, has excellent build quality and has 5mm pad throw.
    5mm = Finishing Sander, very tiny orbit. The Porter Cable, Meguiar's and Griot's have an 8mm or 5/16" throw or orbit if I remember correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by sohail99 View Post
    I had an old 8" pad meant for my rotary that I attached to it and kinda pressed it down on the back of my hand with the unit running. It didn't hurt a bit(though it was vibrating!)

So I guess it shouldn't hurt the paint!?
    Vibrating is the problem. Vibrating won't remove swirls but if you have a friend hold the pad against your back you can get a great massage out of the polisher.

Chances are that even smaller pads are just going to vibrate, it has to do with the design of the tool...

This design works...

Close-ups...

Post Thanks / Like

Wow!! Thanks for the super fast replies Mike!

It was designed to oscillate a thin piece of paper... (sandpaper), huge difference between a thin piece of paper and a foam buffing pad that's going to get wet with product.
    Now this is worrying!
    I'll definitely test it out with the pads! I hope it passes the pressure test.

And since it has a black backing plate I've already marked a line on one side(with a gold marker) that will enable me to see whether its rotating or not!

While I was doing that test with 8" pad on the back of my hand, I applied quite a bit of pressure and the unit didn't seem to bog down!!
    (will check it with the pads anyways!)

Thanks a lot.

I'll try to polish my refrigerator door with it along with a 8" pad I already have.

Lets see what happens!

Post Thanks / Like

I noticed it says 230V, 50hz on the DeWalt. I hope that means you're not in the United States...

Post Thanks / Like

^Yup, am not!
    Thats why I couldn't import most of the DA's like PC/G110/GG.

Though Flex comes in 230v but its totally out of my budget!

btw here's a reassuring comment I found on Amazon.com
    Polisher use, August 4, 2005
    By product user "dealer" (Nevada) -
    This review is from: DEWALT DW443 6 Inch Heavy Duty Electronic Variable Speed Right-Angle Random Orbit Sander (Tools & Hardware)

We use this DeWalt Random Orbital as a polisher for vehicles. The unit comes with the velcro fastener required for professional polishing pads. The unit is balanced and easy to use for a long period. The results have been outstanding. It is recommended by our supplier of professional polishing products.
    I really hope it works!

@Mike -

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast