autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Bought a DeWALT dual action sander/polisher! Help...

You aren't going to get much correction from 85rd. It was meant for jeweling like you said. For swirl removal, you might want to use a more aggressive polish such as 205 or Nano. Try those on and you will surely get a better result as there are some swirls that 85rd can't fix.

Hell yeah, those reflections are awesomely crisp. Great job on maintaining that finish!

And yes, my XP is extremely noisy and vibrate a lot too! My Makita is way quieter and vibrates less, just less controllable than a DA.

Stop whining and crying like a baby! Life sucks...deal with it!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks!

Actually, the hood of my car was like 85% swirl free!(just a lil' micro-marring here and there)

thats why I straight away used PO85RD!

My Megs M205 is still in transit! I hope I get it soon!

I have operated a rotary before and it indeed was much quieter as you said!

My hands are still vibrating after using this! lol!

Mike Phillips

[quote=sohail99;356142]

After spreading, I increased the speed to 4(equivalent to 5 in PC) and started doing multiple section passes slowly and with slight pressure(I was impressed as the rotations weren't stopping on moderate to heavy pressure, even on heavy it was moving! )

Thank you for the update.

With your first hand experience recorded here for posterity, anytime someone comes to the forum and asks...

Will the DeWALT DW443 Dual Action Sander work to polish paint like a Porter Cable 7424XP?

We can answer "Yes" and then refer to this thread.

As I've posted before, most "DA Wood Sanders won't rotate a foam polishing pad with product under pressure", and to date that still holds true, but from what you've posted the DeWALT DW443 will rotate a foam pad under pressure.

Quote Originally Posted by sohail99 View Post

One Con regarding DW443 is, it make a hell lot of noise!!!

though I was lost in polishing, a few of my neighbors came out to see what was making such a noise!!

(DW443 was also vibrating the bonnet leading to that amplified sound!!)

and my hands hurt from the vibration!!! (any remedies to prevent vibration damage?)

Thanks for including the negative aspects of the tool also, vibration is a HUGE deal to most "Enthusiast" detailers so anyone reading this that doesn't want vibration issues, you might want to look at one of the other tools on the market.

There was a definite improvement in the test spot. I kinda tried to show the difference to my mom but to her it all appeared the same!

The difference between a swirl and squirrel

All the micro-marring had gone! I did a super close surface inspection and it was perfectly smooth!! ( I love Menzerna!!!)
    Menzerna has definitely figured out how to create abrasives that will remove defects out of clear coat paints and polish out to a clear, defect free finish.

Clear coat paints are very difficult to work on and I got into this business when the industry was changing over from single stage paints to clear coat paints and at that time polish manufactures, (all of them), were struggling to find a way to abrade clear coats without leaving scratches in the paint at the same time, and many polish manufactures are still struggling with this issue... but Menzerna has definitely created the abrasive technology that works and excels in this area.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Bought a DeWALT DW443 Dual Action Sander/Polisher! Help...

Thanks a lot Mike!

btw to further enhance the polishing, can i use LC Hydro-tech pads?(since they are thinner, the pads will rotate faster!?)

Post Thanks / Like

Wow Sohail

Awesome results !! What a difference, waiting for the pics topped off with a sealant & a nice carnauba wax, for sure the finish will be even more awesome & eye popping !

Love the way the metallic flakes are popping

Btw, what is that snappy clean that the LC pad is soaking in ?

Mike Phillips

btw to further enhance the polishing, can i use LC Hydro-tech pads? (since they are thinner, the pads will rotate faster!?)

I don't know if after you get the finish to the level it's at if changing pads will make a HUGE difference... faster rotation isn't needed for final polishing either.

But give it a try and see how it work!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks again Mike! will check em out!

@nirmaljusdoit - Thanks a lot!

Snappy clean is a pad cleaning powder! - Snappy Clean Pad Cleaning Powder, foam pad cleaner, lake country pad cleaner, wool pad cleaner, citrus foam pad cleaner, polishing pad cleaner

Cheap and really effective!

btw this was just a test spot and it turned out real nice!

Mike Phillips

Moved from Hot Topics to Questions about the Porter Cable 7424XP, 7424, 7336, Griot's and Meguiar's Dual Action Polishers

Post Thanks / Like

wish i had seen this sooner. had one of these a couple years back and found out by accident that leaving that ring out makes all the difference in the world. quite a potent little machine really. enjoy.

Post Thanks / Like

Yea!! It is quite a powerful machine and you have to actually work quite hard to actually stop the pad from rotating!!

I have used it to remove sanding scratches with a yellow pad and M105 and it really works great!

I've done up most of my car with it! only remaining panels are the roof and rear bumper!

@Mike - Any safe techniques to work on the roof??

I've seen pics of ppl standing on chairs etc. and doing it, but a little mishap can leave a scratch on the door!

I'll be getting a few sanding discs soon to try out dampsanding with this!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast