autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Mike Phillips

Re: GG 6", Megs G110v2, or Flex 3401

Quote Originally Posted by 07 z-oh-6 View Post

I'm just saying with the KB method, from what I understand, there are certain factors/combinations that make it unique.
    And in my post above I agree that at least portions of it have merit.

I just took some pictures of a similar technique I use with the rotary buffer when working around edges and tight areas, I'll post them after I remove all the sanding marks out of the Elky.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by kb2ehj View Post
    Mike,

Do copies still exist of the DVD you made using the PC? or was it a combo set with the rotary polisher video which if I'm reading your past post correctly you say never went into production.

Mark
    Only the PC video made it to production and retail sales. The Rotary Buffer DVD never made it to market and they were never sold as a combo.

Last time I checked, you can still order it from various places like CostalTools.com
    In their search box just type in, DVD

They also include a link back to the AutogeekOnline.com discussion forum.

Now that I no longer work for Meguiar's it's theoretically possible the Rotary Buffer DVD could be manufactured and sold, if nothing else it would be fun to see myself 4 years younger. Richard Lin has the Glass Master.

It should be noted, I don't make a dime off the sales of the PC DVD so I have no vested interest in promoting it except that Richard Lin is still a good friend of mine.

Post Thanks / Like

I got PMs from a couple people regarding the KB method. Thanks to all of you. I have not had a chance to read about it and study it. I am hoping to slow down a little by this weekend and get a chance to read up on it.

IT sounds very similar to the techniques Griots was teaching with the PC when I bought it from them years ago. I went to a couple of their "tech sessions" which I assume are like "Detail Fest." Their polish bottles are even designed with a cap on them to use to spread the polish around on the pad without getting it on your fingers. The last guy I worked with in a tech session told me he like to "almost stop" the pad. If any of you have been reading my "smoked a pad" thread, you would see that the pads would never tolerate that with my new GG ROP.

The differing opinions are mind-boggling. Even within companies. I have had AG staff and or videos tell me everything from "let the weight of the machine do it" to "15-20 lbs pressure" to "15-25lbs pressure"

I guess it boils down to experiment, experiment, do another test spot and experiment again. Glad I have my old truck to practice on so I don't make these early mistakes on my Mustang.

Sorry to hijack your thread. Back to the duscussion at hand.
    Kevin
    Griots Garage 6in ROP, 3in ROP, pneumatic 3in polisher
    Flex 3401, Porter Cable PC7424 (the old non-XP model).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    Last time I checked, you can still order it from various places like CostalTools.com
    In their search box just type in, DVD

They also include a link back to the AutogeekOnline.com discussion forum.

Now that I no longer work for Meguiar's it's theoretically possible the Rotary Buffer DVD could be manufactured and sold, if nothing else it would be fun to see myself 4 years younger. Richard Lin has the Glass Master.

It should be noted, I don't make a dime off the sales of the PC DVD so I have no vested interest in promoting it except that Richard Lin is still a good friend of mine.

Thanks for the link. I have it bookmarked and next pay period might just be making a purchase. LOL

To bad you don't get at least a little something in the wallet for it.

Have you (& AG) thought about doing another updated version of these two video's? I suspect they would sell reasonable well over here.

Super Member Driven Auto Detail's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    It's the trend on detailing discussion forums to over-complicate things that are very simple.
    I just wanted to quote this since I find it so VERY TRUE. I've been guilty of it as well in the past, but now days I'm all about simplifying the process. The KB method is a great example of over-complicating the process (although I've not read the long-winded "paper" that explains it all).

Thanks for the great info Mike!
    Mike Shumaker | Driven Auto Detail
    Authorized Opti-Coat Pro Installer

Serving Central Indiana & Beyond!

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everyone of your suggestions and helpful guidance. I finally placed my order today for the Flex with Autogeek!

After leaning towards the Griots, I changed my mind at the last second. I was really intrigued by the KBM method, but it seemed to be overly complicated for a novice like myself. I have also read that there could be dusting issues with the KBM method and the m105/205 combo.

I calculated the difference in price with the Griots, all the accessories, and the m105/205 combo and the difference was ~70 dollars compared to the Flex with all the accessories and without the m105/205. This also allows me to use my SIP/Nano combo I bought a while back but havent had the chance to use.

I should be getting everything by next weekend, just in time for spring break! I hope the Flex with the SIP/Nano combo will be able to tackle all the swirls on my car .

Tuan

Post Thanks / Like

The Flex is an awesome machine, good choice!

What kind of car and what color is it?

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

The Flex is an awesome machine, good choice!

What kind of car and what color is it?

I have a dark gray Acura tsx. I hope I have the right products for the soft paint.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tuan209 View Post
    I have a dark gray Acura tsx. I hope I have the right products for the soft paint.
    Start of with nano/white pad, see if that does the trick. With Menzerna, you must make sure all the abrasives have broken down. People will say wait until the polish turns clear, but Kevin Brown told me that's inaccurate.

I really like Meguiars SMAT products(105, Ultimate Compound, ScratchX 2.0, SwirlX, 205) because you don't have to break the abrasives down. You can find Ultimate Compound, ScrtachX 2.0, and SwirlX at your local auto parts store.

Post Thanks / Like

People will say wait until the polish turns clear, but Kevin Brown told me that's inaccurate.
    What is accurate? That is something I am struggling with. The only thing I have to go on is the turning clear. What other indicator is there?
    Kevin
    Griots Garage 6in ROP, 3in ROP, pneumatic 3in polisher
    Flex 3401, Porter Cable PC7424 (the old non-XP model).

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast