autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Mike Phillips

Re: G110 V2 - Lets ROCK AND ROLL BABY!

Quote Originally Posted by ASPHALT ROCKET View Post
    Looks like the Festool, talk about a nice polisher. There would be no debate on what da was better, the Festool would end that.
    If you want to continue with this topic please start your own thread.

Thanks Dana.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by loudog2 View Post
    Has anyone tried the Dodo juice polisher? Everone is getting their own.
    I spent some time with PJ and Dom at SEMA and they never brought this topic up once?

Mike Phillips

I haven't looked on the Meguiar's site to check but I'm guessing this is some Meguiar's wording for the new tool?

Quote Originally Posted by craigr View Post
    Internal feedback circuit increases torque when downward pressure is applied
    Because I'm kind of a word guy, I'm kind of wondering if instead of the word increases a better word or words would have been restores and/or maintains?

The torque comes from an electric motor driving a Free Rotating Spindle Assembly, the motor only has so much deliverable power from it's original design. Under load, traditionally the first generation Porter Cable Units would bog down as would Version 1 G110 polishers.

I played a little with one of these at SEMA and when holding my hand against the face of the foam pad and pushing I could bog down the motor and then the circuit would kick in and increase power, (electricity/amps), and the motor would be restored to it's pre-load speed.

So I'm not sure this means more torque is created than it originally had, it's just the original torque it came with is restored or maintained.

The end results is the same, I'm not an engineer so I don't know if what's happening is specifically more torque is increased or if original torque is restored and maintained.

Again, not a big deal to me the wording just caught my eye.

I'm also happy to say I have a G110v2 on the way so I'll have a chance to test it out first hand.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    If you want to continue with this topic please start your own thread.

Thanks Dana.

No problem Mike, just was answering Loudog's one post.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by superior_shine View Post

Please let me know if you find these reviews helpful. If so I'd do mor ein the future with other polishers.

Great vids and helpfull since I am debating if I should buy a DA or not and wich kind. I'm used to rotaries and was wondering if the vibrations of a DA would numb my hands, oh well I don't do it for a living anymore so I guess it doesn't matter.

Thanks for the videos.
    Last edited by dave_from_here; 12-03-2009 at 05:29 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a hunch this feature could be a game changer:
    Internal feedback circuit increases torque when downward pressure is applied

I could care less about amps and watts, Torque is what gets the work done.

Oh, you _do_ care about amps and thus watts (BTW, watts are another face of amps) because that is what generates that torque that gets the work done.

Before term "game changer" is (too easily?) thrown around one needs to know what exactly happens when feedback circuit kicks in and what is the result.

I don't know details of this particular implementation but many feedback circuits work in manner similar to this one:

Circuit senses motor is bogging down. It sends more "juice" (amps) to the motor so it doesn't bog down (similar to what cruise control does when you start going uphill). When it doesn't need that much any more it backs off. It might back off for safety reasons too, for example to prevent motor from burning out if extra power was applied for too long.

Feedback circuitry with increase in power is something manufacturers do for many different reasons, to get extra kick without stronger motor (along the lines of "our motor is rated for only X amps all day long but if we once in a while send more juice through it it won't significantly detoriate it's life"), or to get longer life out of motor (along the lines of "our motor is rated for a year at X amps but if we run it at full speed only when needed and rest of time below average longevity will increase") or any variation in between.

Which one is in G110 V2? IMHO it does not matter. It will cut what it will cut, it will last what it will last, and solely that will be able to provide answer whether feedback circuitry is relevant to us or irrelevant to us and relevant only to manufacturer's bottom line.

Plus game has been already changed for good with Flex XC 3401. For something to be called "game changer" _again_ that tool would have to cut faster than Flex, finish better than Flex, be safer than Flex, cheaper than Flex and smaller than Flex. And make espresso better than the way I like it.

In other words: I don't think it will happen. Not with the "PC" based design. Especially the espresso part.

Post Thanks / Like

Zoran- thanks for the post...informative. To me, the new Griot has more power available, so no matter what the G110V2's feedback circuitry does it still cannot match the Griot for raw power (and torque). Sounds like both of these buffers are great choices for the price and of course Griot's lifetime guarantee is a plus.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Waxmax View Post
    Zoran- thanks for the post...informative. To me, the new Griot has more power available, so no matter what the G110V2's feedback circuitry does it still cannot match the Griot for raw power (and torque). Sounds like both of these buffers are great choices for the price and of course Griot's lifetime guarantee is a plus.
    You are welcome.

To me differences in power are not # 1 criteria if they are similar enough in power. There are many other reasons that make me prefer one polisher over another.

Post Thanks / Like

*off topic and please chime in if anyone wants to* so basically the new G110v.2 would be more "consistent", meaning that is will keep rotating and not bog down as easy, but still not match the overall more power the griots random orbital has (not to mention the griots is cheaper, more powerful, and has the lifetime warranty)? with the griots random orbital having more power, has anyone noticed that it will not bog down as easy and not be much of an issue?

p.s. could someone please post a little video of the griots random orbital (and/or the 3" as well) in action? i may ask santa for one...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BigAl3 View Post
    so basically the new G110v.2 would be more "consistent", meaning that is will keep rotating and not bog down as easy, but still not match the overall more power the griots random orbital has (not to mention the griots is cheaper, more powerful, and has the lifetime warranty)? with the griots random orbital having more power, has anyone noticed that it will not bog down as easy and not be much of an issue?
    Answer to this is impossible. There are so many variables and questions there: "What constitutes more overall power? More amps or corrective ability?" "How are amps measured to start with?" Etc. Who can answer that without knowing exact internal details of both and having just one in hand? Nobody. Final answer is as always in the pudding, using both machines hard earning a living over many cars, not for 15 minutes or over one or two cars.

That is why I think it would be wise if someone would send Joe a copy of Griot's V2. He sure would put both through their paces.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast