autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Getting a PC, couple questions

Hello. I'm new to the forum and this is my first post. I have read a lot here and this went to my bookmarks as soon as I found it.

Well my AG order came in today . I got: poorboy's kit w/ ssr 2.5 & 1, spray and gloss, spray and wipe, natty's blue, 2 MF towels, CCS 6.5" orange, white, and gray, and the xmt pad cleaner. I also got ex sealant and black hole glaze.

Now, I am ready to order the Porter Cable. I have a couple questions. I think I am going to just go with the porter cable itself, no pads in the kit (except the bonus CCS 5 1/4" orange pads). Is the counterweight that is included ok to use with the 6.5" pads? Is that just the counterweight that comes already installed in the PC? Also, what size backing plate should I get? I was thinking the 6" since I was only planning on using 6.5" pads, but after reading a little bit I'm seeing the 5" plate being used a lot.

Thanks for the help!! I hope to be a contributing member in the near future!

Super Member Joshs2013MSAltimaSL's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Getting a PC, couple questions

The counterweight included will work fine. You will want to invest in getting 5.5" pads with a 5" BP. The 6.5" pads with the PC don't do so well. You will get much more correcting done with the 5.5" pads. Most of us on here with a PC will use the 5.5" and 4" pads. Congrats on your first order...you must be really excited. Welcome to the forum!
    Be sure to check out http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...-everyone.html. All pictures are welcome!!

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

hey thanks for the quick reply! yeah im pretty excited! its like a whole new world opened up. im familiar with the normal wash, clay, wax, but i cant wait to take it to the next level. I have a black 2000 pontiac grand prix. I had it repainted summer of 07 and have kept up on it pretty good, so the paint isnt bad. just swirls/ webs from normal wash n dry, and a few light scratches.

My plan is:
    Wash
    Dry
    Clay
    Try ssr1 w/ white pad, but if needed go to ssr 2.5 w/ orange pad, followed by ssr1 w/ white
    Black Hole Glaze w/ gray
    Sealant w/ blue (2 coats)
    Natty's Blue by hand, a day or 2 after sealant

So the 5" backing plate would be a better choice? I want to use the pads I got in the kit for now, and I just want to make sure there wont be an issues with the smaller backing plate when using the 6.5" pads, especially on the softer pads, I dont know if there would be issues with uneven pressure or something like that. Thanks again!

Another cool thing is my boss is letting me use the shop I work at, so I'll have tons of overhead flourescent lighting that shows pretty much anything on the paint. Will have a halogen handy though for closer inspections.

Post Thanks / Like

Don't waste your time with the 6.5" pads they won't correct anything. Use them to apply waxes. Do what Josh recommends.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

smaller pads it is. if theres a for sale section here, these pads will be in there soon

1 last question before i submit my order, i have an orange pad for ssr 2.5, white for ssr 1, gray for the glaze, and blue for the sealant. would this be a good route to start with?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 00blkgtp View Post
    smaller pads it is. if theres a for sale section here, these pads will be in there soon

1 last question before i submit my order, i have an orange pad for ssr 2.5, white for ssr 1, gray for the glaze, and blue for the sealant. would this be a good route to start with?
    Yes, but start with the least aggressive combo first. Like white with 2.5 and then orange if you need more cut. Good Luck

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 00blkgtp View Post
    Best thing for you to use is the AGO code for free shipping, and if you are looking at the 5.5" pads, which are best with the PC look at this kit.

Dual Action CCS 5.5 Inch Foam Pad Kit

Super Member Joshs2013MSAltimaSL's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

If the SSR1 and white pad aren't aggressive enough, go up to SSR2.5 with a white pad. If that doesn't work, then you can step up to the orange pad. Like Surfer said, start with the least aggressive combo first. You will be amazed at how nice your black car will look after all this. Good luck!
    Be sure to check out http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...-everyone.html. All pictures are welcome!!

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

well i put in my order last night, again to AG. got a 7424, 5" backing plate, ccs 5.5" orange, white, gray, and blue pads. I wish I could afford that package above, but for now I just need stuff to get me started. I'm already catchin crap from my gf for getting this stuff, since im laid off and all lol. I think this should be enough to get me going though.

As for my process, does my "outline" look right?

Ill be sure to post up some pictures when I do it. Can't say it will be perfect since it's my first time, but if it looks anywhere near some of the cars on here, i'll be happy.

Post Thanks / Like

im about to order one myself

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast