autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Best pad and polish to use for heavily oxidized paint???

Hello, I am new to autogeek and just purchased a PC 7424 with the XL pad kit and have a few questions. I am going to be polishing something that is heavily oxidized and wonder what pad and polish I should use. I should probably use the yellow pad correct? What kind of Polish should I use? Thinking a swirl cutter? Any tips would be greatly appreciated!! I should be getting the kit tomorrow.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Best pad and polish to use for heavily oxidized paint???

Quote Originally Posted by Kobe24 View Post
    Hello, I am new to autogeek and just purchased a PC 7424 with the XL pad kit and have a few questions. I am going to be polishing something that is heavily oxidized and wonder what pad and polish I should use. I should probably use the yellow pad correct? What kind of Polish should I use? Thinking a swirl cutter? Any tips would be greatly appreciated!! I should be getting the kit tomorrow.
    An orange 5 inch pad and Meguiars M105.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh yeah I was also going to ask how you clean the pads. I saw it comes with some kind of spray to spray on them and clean them. How long does it take to clean them and when do you know it is dirty enough that you need to switch to another pad?

Post Thanks / Like

Start out with the least aggressive method first. With out pictures it's hard to help. You can try megs 105, menz power gloss or menz SIP with a white or orange first. You will need to follow up with at least 2 more steps after that. Get a good finishing polish megs 205 or menz 106FA. that's just a start. Remember, pictures do help us help you.

Get some pad rejuvinator either DP or wolfgang. Soak them for 15 minutes then rub them down with your thumb. Repeat then rinse

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I will try and get some pictures for you guys tomorrow. I didn't get any 5 inch pads. Does autozone or anyone sell pads? I want to get started tomorrow. I bought some Meguiars #6 and Meguiars #7 from AG with my buffer kit because I heard those 2 were good. I have several different buffing projects to do. Some with perfect paint and some that are fairly oxidized and one that is heavily oxidized. I have several vehicles and several tractors I want to polish. Thanks for the help.

Super Member Joshs2013MSAltimaSL's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I will try and get some pictures for you guys tomorrow. I didn't get any 5 inch pads. Does autozone or anyone sell pads? I want to get started tomorrow. I bought some Meguiars #6 and Meguiars #7 from AG with my buffer kit because I heard those 2 were good. I have several different buffing projects to do. Some with perfect paint and some that are fairly oxidized and one that is heavily oxidized. I have several vehicles and several tractors I want to polish. Thanks for the help.
    5.5" pads and smaller are the only ones that really work with the PC. Pictures help and the type of car. Depending on the type of CC it has will tell you how you need to approach it.
    Be sure to check out http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...-everyone.html. All pictures are welcome!!

Post Thanks / Like

If it were really really bad oxidation i would say a yellow pad. Polish wise, what the people said above me are great

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by joshs07redss View Post
    5.5" pads and smaller are the only ones that really work with the PC. Pictures help and the type of car. Depending on the type of CC it has will tell you how you need to approach it.
    I forgot I did get two orange pads that were 5.25" with my kit. Although all of my other pads are 6.5" Why would they have the buffer kits with 6.5" pads if they don't work? Not doubting you but I will be a little disappointed if if I bought the kit and they don't work good.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Does autozone or any auto parts store sell Meguairs 105?

Super Member Joshs2013MSAltimaSL's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I forgot I did get two orange pads that were 5.25" with my kit. Although all of my other pads are 6.5" Why would they have the buffer kits with 6.5" pads if they don't work? Not doubting you but I will be a little disappointed if if I bought the kit and they don't work good.
    I'm not sure why they put these pads with the kits. I got some when I bought my PC kit. 5.5" pads are the way to go with the PC. Maybe you can trade the bigger pads for some smaller pads here on AG? Autozone doesn't sell M105 and I don't think they sell pads. If they do sell pads, I want to say that it's the Meg's pads. They definitely don't sell CCS pads though.
    Be sure to check out http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...-everyone.html. All pictures are welcome!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast