autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

First timer with the pc

Ok i have a few more questions. I was trying tonight to check my work out with the halogen lamp system. Well that was a bad idea for me to buy it. I have a black 93 mustang and i had already used the poorboys ssr1 with the orange pad and i thought i had it really good. Yea right until i hooked up the lights. Wow it looks terrible. Definetely better than it did but now how do i get rid of the scratches. Paint looks great everywhere except were the scratches are. YOu cant feel them with your nail or anything but i dont think a little pc with some polish is gonna work. Is there any thing you would suggest for a relative novice. Products or techniques. I tried to go over the hood a couple of times with the ssr2 just to see if that would lessen the scratches but it really hasnt. I showed my wife tonight what i was dealing with and she laughed and said its a 93 its supposed to look like that. I just feel like i wont be able to get them out. thanx alot Kevin

Post Thanks / Like

Re: First timer with the pc

Can you post a more detailed description of what you did after the ssr1 via orange pad. Which pad with the ssr2? How long did you work it?

First of all, I think an orange pad was way too aggressive a pad for the ssr1. Though pads can alter the cut of a product, going too aggressive with a very light polish, or the opposite, going with a no cut pad with a heavy compound will not get you the right results.

I hope you didnt do the whole car.

When you go back at it, do this.

Tape off a 2x2 area or even 1.5x1.5. Try the ssr2 with a white pad. Check your work. Are most of the swirls gone? If so, make one more pass. If only light light marring remains than go ahead with the ssr1 with a white or black pad. If a lot of marring remained after the ssr2 w.white, try ssr2 with a orange.

If it still doesnt make a dent you might need a stronger polish/compound. Make sure youre fully breaking down the polish. If you dont break it down it will leave marring behind. Put some pressure on the pc. Take a sharpie and draw a straight line on your BP so you can see the actual rotations. Put enough pressure on it so that it still spins but not enough to bog it down.

Dont underestimate the pc. Im sure its just in your technique.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

thanx for the reply. They really arent swirls like a buffer would make, more like very small fine scratches. I took pics of it but i cant figure out what setting to use to get them to show up. if i take the pic towards the light which is how they really show up you cant see anythng but glare. Here are the steps i took in order. Only did the hood area.
    ssr1 with orange pad
    got the halogen light and almost cried
    ssr2 with the orange pad(still lots of scratches, very fine)
    ssr1 with the white pad( hoping it would fill a bit or correct scratches)no dice
    now im back to square one. I will not give up until every scratch is gone. I dont care how many hours it takes or what products. Its a clearcoated old mustang. I used moderate pressure, enough to flatten out the pad alot but not really bog down the unit. I had enough pressure to warm the paint so i figured i was doing it right. I kept going over the 2ft by 2ft area untill all the product was basically gone. Im not using alot of product just a few pea size dabs around the pad. I also prime the pad a bit with ro water from my kitchen. thanx for any info. Its gonna happen just may take more time. Kevin

Post Thanks / Like

you could try menzerna SIP

Post Thanks / Like

The orange pad will leave marring. It will be espeacially noticabe on black in sunlight. The fine swirls you see might be from the orange pad.

Like Dsoto said use the 2 with the white, then check. Wiork til polish is broken down. Use a figure 8 motion overlapping each pass. If it is good go to the 1 with a gray pad. If the white didn't work, go orange, white then gray.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

so is marring the very fine scratches im seeing? Also if the orange and ssr2 isnt enough to get out the bigger scratches how is it going to get rid of the smaller ones with a weaker pad? ie using the white pad with the ssr2. thanx for all the info. Kevin

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

one other thing. how much product should i be using on each section. I dont get to actually use the polish long it seems to dissapear after the first swipe over each spot. Almost like im buffing with nothing on the paint. kevin

Post Thanks / Like

Well to be honest, without any pictures of some sort we cant really tell you what those scratches are. They could very well be marring from the orange pad or it could just be scratches that you already have. You might have really hard paint which is why the orange pad didnt do anything, or your technique can might just be wrong. Theres a lot of variables.

I dont know if you have anything stronger than ssr2 but you might need it considering the age and condition of the car. So did the ssr2 w/orange actually do anything? If it did, than try another pass, than make a pass with the ssr2 and a white pad. If theres still marring try ssr1 with a white or black pad. I have a feeling it might be your technique though.

Or in the end, you probably need a stronger product.

Post Thanks / Like

Think of a piece of wood. If you have a imperfection, you use a coarse sandpaper to get that out. Then, you use a more fine sandpaper to smooth the coarse one out. After that you would use the finest sandpaper to make it stain or paint ready.

If you have heavy swirls SIP or megs 105 with a orange pad might be needed(kinda like the coarse sandpaper). Then, you would use the white pad with maybe your SSR2, power finish 203 or SIP again on a white pad. To shine it up you can then use your SSR1 on a gray or blue pad.

Use a quarter size amount in the middle or 3 small dots around the edges. polish until it start turning clear. Do a 2ftx2ft section at a time.
    Last edited by loudog2; 03-01-2009 at 12:53 PM.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

i have a question. why does the polish im using break down so fast? ive been watching some vids and it seems like when they are polishing the product is creamy for a long time and has to be wiped off to check the work. i dont have to wipe off anything its gone in one or two passes and i mean gone dont even need to wipe it off. am i using too little product? kevin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast