autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

New Guy with lots of questions 07 Accord

Hey Guys,

Been on the site alot, finally registered the other day and about to make my first order. I have a 07 Honda Accord which I have been pain stakingly doing by hand ALOT, I have been using Meguiars 3 step mainly and a newer product I found online called WETPAINTGLAZE (it actually works pretty good)

Ok, My questions now
    1) I have a Black 07 Accord some scratches and some orange peel, nothing I can feel with my finger nail, just visual really.. What products should I look at?
    2) I want the wet look, but something that will last a bit I dont want to have to polish/wax/seal every other week
    3) I am getting the PC any opinions on which kit to get?

I already have all the MF towels, etc glass and wheel care products which I like using..

Thanks in advance guys

Post Thanks / Like

Re: New Guy with lots of questions 07 Accord

If you have the budget for it, buy a FLEX. I have the same paint (NBP on a 2005 RL) and wish I had done so now.

Having said that, I have found the Menzerna SIP, PO85RD, and DP MaxWax to be a good combination. If you want a paint sealant in the place of or before wax, go with the Wolfgang DGPS. LK pads are good but don't get the 6.5; go with 5.5 or even 4s as they are more effective and vibrate less than the 6.5s.

Good luck!

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

My advice is a three step paint restoration. Start out buffing with Farecla advanced compound. Use a medium coarse foam pad. Next, polish all the paint with a good cleaner/wax formula. This will make the paint come alive. Use a fine coarse foam pad. The last step if needed is to finish up with your choice of finishing waxes or sealants. Lastly,To remove all swirl marks from the compound treatment, use a thicker wax or sealant with a foam finishing pad. If your looking for durability, then sealants are the way to go. This treatment if done correctly, is sure to create the wet paint effect.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I am also a newbie and would like some recommendations for the least aggressive, good quality clay kit . When getting my supplies together, my old brain forgot the clay. Would like to find it locally if possible and not have to order and wait. The car is new but the paint doesn't feel smooth and slick. Thanks for any help.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

One easy route to take is Advanced Auto Parts, Autozone, or even some walmarts. They should all carry either Meguiars clay bar kit or mothers clay bar kit. Both kits come with the detail spray that you need, a mild aggressive clay bar, and a microfiber. Each kit runs around $17-$19. If your not sweating your not detailing.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ObsessiveClean View Post
    My advice is a three step paint restoration. Start out buffing with Farecla advanced compound. Use a medium coarse foam pad. Next, polish all the paint with a good cleaner/wax formula. This will make the paint come alive. Use a fine coarse foam pad. The last step if needed is to finish up with your choice of finishing waxes or sealants. Lastly,To remove all swirl marks from the compound treatment, use a thicker wax or sealant with a foam finishing pad. If your looking for durability, then sealants are the way to go. This treatment if done correctly, is sure to create the wet paint effect.
    How is a thicker wax or sealant going to remove swirl marks from a compound, it is going to fill them and that is not a permanent fix.

Daver, I would pick pc kit with the Menzerna Sip/106fa kit that comes with the 5.5 inch pads. I would not start out with an orange pad since Honda's have soft paint. Start out with a white pad on SIP and then finish up with 106fa on a blue finishing pad. If the kit does not come with any blue pad I would suggest getting atleast three of these pads. Also Flyfishindawg has some good points, the other advice I would stay away from.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

The compound that I recommended won't create any scratches if used with the right pad. If daver states he has some scratches then the right compound will help remove them by blending the targeted area together. Use a wax or sealant following this procedure to protect and seal the paint. You have a choice of thick paste or liquid. It's all about preference. A better explained step by step process is with the following link.

How to remove a scratch using a circular polisher.

Post Thanks / Like

A compound should always be followed up with a final polishing step or may even need an inbetween step. Yes a sealnt or wax is to protect your finish, not to hide any type of compound swirls. The link you have helps and is not what you suggested. I do not think you understand that Honda has soft paint, there is more to it than just a one compound step, then apply sealant.
    Last edited by ASPHALT ROCKET; 01-17-2009 at 11:05 AM.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I understand that honda has soft paint. The compound that I'm talking about is safe for all finishes soft or hard. It's a great product I'm recommending for scratch removal. If that is what daver is looking for. Asphalt Rocket, I understand that your procedure is different than mine and that's okay. I'm merely offering advice with a product that has worked for me. Now, if I could see the scratches and get a better look, my procedure might be different than what I suggested. It all depends.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree pics would help.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast