autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BILL
    You can try, it might improve, but if it were mine?? i'd wet sand as i said before.......but you need a person who knows what there doing. if you DON'T KNOW??? DON'T TRY WET SANDING IT ALONE.........
    RE: West sanding--how do you know whether it is the color coat or the clearcoat that is orange peeled. If it is the base coat, you are screwed. If this is not correct, someone please educate, and I will apologize for any wrong information.

Post Thanks / Like
    Personality has a lot to do with customer service. When I worked at Sears, there was this guy who was a little off the wall, but was such a nice guy and had amazing customer service. I'm not calling you off the wall, so don't get mad at the monkey!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackCoupe
    RE: West sanding--how do you know whether it is the color coat or the clear coat that is orange peeled. If it is the base coat, you are screwed. If this is not correct, someone please educate, and I will apologize for any wrong information.

A base coat is very smooth, dull, and lifeless.......without the clear, the base coat has no nothing.....once the clear is put down the base jumps to life and the transformation is actually quite beautiful...so with that said your peel will come with the clear coat.......especially visible on the side panels.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BILL
    A base coat is very smooth, dull, and lifeless.......without the clear, the base coat has no nothing.....once the clear is put down the base jumps to life and the transformation is actually quite beautiful...so with that said your peel will come with the clear coat.......especially visible on the side panels.
    Not meaning to argue--just want to understand. Why is it that you are saying that there can't be orange peel in the base coat? It might not show up until you put the clear coat on, but they are both "paint"--its just that one has pigments???

Post Thanks / Like
    Urethane Base Coat Ready to spray. Shake stir with a paint stick. Stain it right into the gun cup. Apply 2-3 medium wet coats or until covered waiting a flash time of 10-20 minutes between coats. A final mist coat can be used to make the metallic appear more even. U.B.C. leaves a smooth finish, Do not solvent clean or sand in between coats of base coat color. This product does require to be clear coated within 7 days.
    Acrylic Lacquer Clear Coat. Wait one hour of base coat color to dry before application. Easiest to use. Ready to spray. Shake it up. Stir it with a paint stick. Strain it with a strainer right in to the gun cup. Recommended tip size is 1.4. Create a slow build one coat at a time. It takes 4 medium wet coats with a flash time of 5-10 minutes between coats. If orange peel exists wet sand 1500 and 2000-2500 after cure time.

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow!

this tread has a lot of information, but i have another question for you all:
    ¿should i be able to actually feel this orange peel with my fingers?. I have just seen a black BMW Serie 1 with orange peel and i was able to feel the roughness, which doesnt happen to my car.

(????)

Post Thanks / Like
    in basic terms, orange peel is the difference in amount of clear sprayed onto a finish. Essentially its like larger pockets of clearcoat, although I use that term quite loosely. Uneven would likely be a better term. As such you can feel very bad orange peel, and highly noticable on very reflective colors (red, yellow, black). Polishing would remove any lifeless spots that might be oxidation, but to really remove it involves wetsanding and a professional. You are clearly removing some clearcoat to essentially even out the layers of clear.

And you can have orange peel in single coat paint. Look at Toyota .. and their blacks. Remember its uneven levels of paint. When you look at clearcoated paint it is most noticable as top layers, but I have seen some cars wet-sanded that still showed some orange peel and yet body shop was afraid to go further because likelyhood of breaching the paint level.
    Last edited by ScottB; 07-08-2006 at 12:09 PM.

Scott

Post Thanks / Like
    Im dealing with a one - in - a -life - choice.
    am i going to do this in my car? am i going to do this to learn and become a professional? am i going to do that in my moms car? why is my car on fire?

Post Thanks / Like
    ejejejeje loquito!

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Wet Sanding

I am wet sanding small areas with 1500 to get some scratches out (NO CLEARCOAT) and want to know what PC pad to use and what product to use in order to get the shine back to where it should be.

What are the steps and pads/products shoud I be using.

Thanks
    RedBrick

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast