autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: First time using my DA, not thrilled..

You may want to try out the products you have on the Toyota first. The paint may be softer and you may get better results.

Just a thought.

Edit: I don't know much about their products, but I would try to one, or two step polish if you can.

Do a couple of test spots with different pads if you have them. Maybe you can get one to give you good cut but still finish well.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, I don't think the Truck was really ever cared for. I guess I was hoping I could bring back some of its luster but perhaps due to neglect, that can't be done.

Post Thanks / Like

Looks similar to "crows feet" in the paint. You can't correct that without repainting.
    '03 Corvette Z06

Post Thanks / Like

Another thing is you are using a DA, not a rotary. A DA has it's limits, especially if it's not forced rotation.

Post Thanks / Like

Lots of great advice here, to include from the master himself, Mike.

The HF polisher is not a bad machine. I've been using mine for years now. The products and pads are probably where you can gain the most improvements. Going with a Lake Country 5" backing plate along with a host of 5.5" pads in orange, white and blue/black will do you wonders. Stepping up to a better polish/compound will provide much better results too, as long as the paint is state it can be recovered.

Your 4Runner should be pretty easy correct. My wife's Highlander has really soft paint, and a white LC Flat pad with Meguiars Ultimate Polish clears it up every time very nicely. I've never had a need to go with a MF pad or even a compound, to include wiping out the damage caused during dealer prep for delivery. If I do need something stronger, I'll go for a more aggressive foam pad and compound before I'd even think about a MF pad.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Weaverpsu View Post
    I have a Porter Cable knockoff from HF. Same power, size, etc. If I try to post pictures before making them smaller they fail to attach. Cruz, I used only 1 pad but also only did half the hood with it before cleaning. Also, I used clay bar first before attempting project.
    Your machine, your pads, your polish - none of these would make anyone's top 10 list. But if you want to try to make this system work, I'd try different pads first, the HF pads I tried were way too soft to correct.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a Porter Cable knockoff from HF.
    It's not a PC knock off. It certainly deserves better than to be mentioned in such a way, especially since you haven't even given it a fair shot to do it's job. I didn't read every word in this thread, but I heard you mention 1 pad. If you expect "dazzling" results, you're going to have to invest a bit more than your efforts so far. You expect to be dazzled, yet you only managed to polish half the hood? Are you even motivated? No offense but it doesn't sound like it.

That "knock off" happens to have a noticable upgrade in speed, torque, and power vs. the PC... In no way am I suggesting you outta be an instant fanboy just because you bought it, I just don't understand the instant disrespect towards it. Why even mention or compare it to a PC when the PC is inferior to it? But whatever, if you truly believe it's below certain standards then you'll probably wind up with below standard results.

Quote Originally Posted by AuroraDetailing View Post
    Another thing is you are using a DA, not a rotary. A DA has it's limits, especially if it's not forced rotation.
    A DA has is limits, yes, but that really only applies to certain things and not necessarily as a whole. Yea it has its limits vs. a rotary if you're talking time and effort.. But in the end they're both going to wind up at the same destination.

As the Junkman would say "Destination Shineville" HF DA did the job. You're telling me a rotary or any other polishers end result would look significantly better than 100% correction? On this paint? Keep in mind this is a daily driven 2003 Toyota Tacoma. It is what it is, meaning it's not perfect.. And no amount of $ that you can pay for a "worthy" polisher is going to change that. You can polish a turd, but certain defects can't be polished out [i.e. small chips, cracks, whatever you want to call them] because you can't make those bits that make it a turd magically disappear and expect perfection unless you repaint the panel. In this case it's not the DA that's limiting the results, it's the paint that's holding back perfection.

It doesn't matter if I used my HF DA or my $400 Griots Boss 21 to polish this paint, as long as the defects were able to be removed by both machines without any significant issues [i.e. crazy hard paint that the 8mm couldn't handle] then they both would've ended up with this same end result. I think we can agree on that.

First time using my DA, not thrilled..-imageuploadedbyagonline1472536593-474717-jpg

Quote Originally Posted by chet31 View Post
    Your machine, your pads, your polish - none of these would make anyone's top 10 list.
    So the PC was a workhorse and a starter machine for a whole generation of detailers and has stood the test of time to have earned its honorable mention and respect..

But a totally different tool company comes along and manufacturers a polisher that's actually more powerful than the PC, but all of a sudden there's no way it would ever make anyone's "top ten list"... Who are these people? I'd love to see a real life Pepsi challenge between these entry level polishers 1 day so we could have a good laugh at everyones real unbiased opinions based on performance and results, instead of a brand name on a label.

Post Thanks / Like

Summary; your polishers fine, do play with pads and compounds to give yourself more option.
    And don't confuse a polisher with a spray booth ��
    And stick at it, my first car only pulled out 80% of the defects...
    Still 80% less sh1t than when I started...

Have fun practicing in the Tacoma.. It'll look heaps better by the end..
    All the best.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by shadwell View Post
    Summary; your polishers fine, do play with pads and compounds to give yourself more option.
    And don't confuse a polisher with a spray booth 😉
    And stick at it, my first car only pulled out 80% of the defects...
    Still 80% less sh1t than when I started...

Have fun practicing in the Tacoma.. It'll look heaps better by the end..
    All the best.
    Also, the paint is done.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, I don't think the Truck was really ever cared for. I guess I was hoping I could bring back some of its luster but perhaps due to neglect, that can't be done.
    In my opinion - You're looking to bring back the luster with the tools and polishes you have on hand (VS getting a respray). I guarantee if you stick with it and work through correcting the whole vehicle to the level of your 50/50 shot, you'll have a dramitic improvement in curb appeal ( = luster). My wife's black A4 was ROUGH when she got it, which meant I could only safely take it so far. Sure, when I was done there were still RIDS and you could see the sandblasting dits in the hood, but it still had great shine and garnered plenty of compliments.

Sorry I'm not savy enough to do multiple quotes in a thread - But as Eldorado2k said: "It doesn't matter if I used my HF DA or my $400 Griots Boss 21 to polish this paint, as long as the defects were able to be removed by both machines without any significant issues" - I think only having so much clear to work with and the condition it's in are the signifigant issues you're up against.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast