autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

1" or 2" pads with PC 7424x?

I have a 7424x that has become my backup, and I'd like to use it for headlights & other tight spots. I just bought the Headlight & Spot Repair Kit ( Meguiars Headlight & Spot Repair Kit ) , which came with 3" sandpaper discs, pads, and backing plate.

On my very first headlight, I noticed even the 3" pads & discs had trouble getting into the corners without risking the paint (had several layers of tape, but was still worried that the sandpaper could rip through).

Does anyone use a 1" or 2" backing plate on the 7424? If not possible with the PC, would I need to get the tiny GG polisher just for this use?

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 1" or 2" pads with PC 7424x?

No, that small with that machine will generate too much heat buildup.

Rupes Nano would be a better application.

Right tool for the right job....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BigPoppa View Post
    I have a 7424x that has become my backup, and I'd like to use it for headlights & other tight spots. I just bought the Headlight & Spot Repair Kit ( Meguiars Headlight & Spot Repair Kit ) , which came with 3" sandpaper discs, pads, and backing plate.

On my very first headlight, I noticed even the 3" pads & discs had trouble getting into the corners without risking the paint (had several layers of tape, but was still worried that the sandpaper could rip through).

Does anyone use a 1" or 2" backing plate on the 7424? If not possible with the PC, would I need to get the tiny GG polisher just for this use?

Thanks
    You can use 1" and 2" pads on a PC. I have the set up: a D.A. Adapter 5/8 inch x 11, a Rotary backing plate extension, a FLEX 1" rotary backing plate, 1" Mini Hybrid Foam pads... I got all of this on Autogeek. YES, to the fact that it will build up heat and you need to be very careful/mindful while using it, but it does in fact work Very well for all those small areas that you can never fit a larger pad in. So the Rupes Nano is not the only option, just a safer one.

Post Thanks / Like

1" or 2" pads with PC 7424x?

I have used 2" on PC and it was hard.

Mainly due to such a tiny pad on bulky machine.

I used to do tight corners with hand, but now I use Mckeeys 37 aio headlight polish with short purple foamed wool pad with drill bit attachment and I can get into corners pretty easy with right angle
    Please like my page

Jae @ ONYX Detail Garage

Post Thanks / Like

Rupes Nano looks terrific, but am not in a position to spend that much right now.

Right now I'd just be using the 1" pads to get the corners of headlights. So could be extra careful not to let anything heat up too much.

Post Thanks / Like

I've tried it and very hard to keep pad flush with surface (2" pad with 5 lbs of machine is hard to keep stable). I ended up doing these areas by hand. I just got the Rupes Nano so now that is the tool for small pads. I did have some success with a flexible shaft on a drill but it was clunky (reavlly could have used a third hand to use the trigger on the drill).
    Crispy 2001 Pontiac Grand Prix DD, always clean (except today) Hobby Detailer

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Goose View Post
    You can use 1" and 2" pads on a PC. I have the set up: a D.A. Adapter 5/8 inch x 11, a Rotary backing plate extension, a FLEX 1" rotary backing plate, 1" Mini Hybrid Foam pads... I got all of this on Autogeek. YES, to the fact that it will build up heat and you need to be very careful/mindful while using it, but it does in fact work Very well for all those small areas that you can never fit a larger pad in. So the Rupes Nano is not the only option, just a safer one.
    I just purchased all the above from AG as well and look forward to doing the A pillars , decklid, and smaller areas with them on my DA PC machine. If there are any pros and cons with the outcome once I get to use this set up, I'll definitely share here

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vg247 View Post
    I just purchased all the above from AG as well and look forward to doing the A pillars , decklid, and smaller areas with them on my DA PC machine. If there are any pros and cons with the outcome once I get to use this set up, I'll definitely share here
    You'll like it, just be careful, and please share your opinions about it. It can be hard to control and keep the pad flat on the paint but it will work. I just recently did some pillars and painted trim around some windows and it worked very well.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Goose View Post
    You'll like it, just be careful, and please share your opinions about it. It can be hard to control and keep the pad flat on the paint but it will work. I just recently did some pillars and painted trim around some windows and it worked very well.
    Thanks Goose, will do. For some reason my notification settings are on for the thread subscriptions but not getting emails telling me there are new posts...

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by choijw2 View Post

I have used 2" on PC and it was hard.

Mainly due to such a tiny pad on bulky machine.
    The term is Tippy

When buffing horizontal panels with large tool and tiny pads the tool can be tippy with all that weight and bulk over the top of a tiny pad. At least when working on horizontal panels as a person tends to use the weight of the machine to apply pressure and with small pads you have to be careful as the weight of the machine is enough to compress the pads.

It's less of an issue on vertical panels because you naturally support the weight of the machine.

Quote Originally Posted by choijw2 View Post

I used to do tight corners with hand
    There's always going to be a time and place where working by hand is both efficient and handy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast