autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Best $50 to spend on accessories

Everyone, thanks for the replies.

The $50 comes from getting a gift card at work and using that means I don't have to tell the wife I'm spending money on car cleaning products (she is a touchless car wash junkie in recovery lol) ...

I've got some 845 that'd I'd like to use on the silver car and I'm very intrigued by the natty black car wax for hers, but I need to decide if A.) I can use the polisher correctly and B.) achieve results that make it worth pulling down the big lights etc for a clean car. This is why I'm hoping to limit my initial spending to a small out of pocket cost.

I've currently got in my cleaning supply list: multiple grades of clay, 2 or 3 qd sprays, 845, duragloss aw, optimum spray, sonax wheel, einszett cockpit, chemical guys maxi suds 2 and a gilmour gun, 2 buckets with grit guards and a big rubber tote bin full of varying quality micro fibers some Korean, some cheapo auto store grade, 2 waffle weaves for drying and I practice my sheeting technique any chance I get

Next month I could buy more pads or differing products but I'm hoping to spend as little as possible to evaluate the DA usage

Post Thanks / Like

I'm a newbie too, but with a crew cab truck and a crossover at home I went with 12 pads to start. Actually, it was 14 with the two reds that came free with the package I bought. I was looking for best "bang for the buck" too but after spending $200 on a PC package I didn't feel like I would get results I'm happy with on just 6.

I started with a $50 order last fall too but you have a much nicer starting point than I did coming from dawn and turtle wax. Good luck! This is one of the best enthusiast sites I've ever seen. There truly is no such thing as a dumb question here, which is rare in the world of internet commandos!

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

You don't need 2 or 3 QD sprays! Use 1, and get familiar with it. Why not get some Duragloss Fast Clean & Shine? I was speaking with Dr. Bill @ Duragloss about this time last year and he turned me on to how they'd been mixing Aquawax with FC&S and getting amazing results. Seems the best mix they'd found was 3 parts Aquawax to 1 part FC&S.

FC&S on it's own is a good QD spray. For that matter, Aquawax can be used as a QD spray, just mix it with distilled water.

But it's the mix of the two that gives you the cleaning ability of one, with the lasting protection of the other.

For wheels, the cheapest alternative would be Megs Non-Acid wheel cleaner. That and at least the two biggest Wheel Woolies, and the largest Daytona brush. For color changing wheel cleaner, Megs DUB cleaner is BY FAR cheaper than Sonax, and works as well. Often you can find it at your local auto part store on sale. (Advance has it BOGO sometimes. Last time I bought 10 bottles!)

The Nattys may be interesting... but a sealant (your 845) will be much better protection in the long run.

I wouldn't sweat learning how to buff paint with a DA. Just stay within your shoulders, don't work too fast, don't run your machine too fast, keep your arm speed slow, arm pressure medium, and make slow, deliberate overlapping passes. Finish one area, wipe down, move to the next.

But first... tape off half a dozen areas and do your TEST SPOTS. Do 2 with the same compound, different pad. Use the same machine speed, same arm speed, same arm pressure, same amount of section passes *5~6 passes*. Only thing different would be the pad.

Then 2 more with another compound, same two pads as before. (Say orange then white.)

Then compare the results of all four sections.

Best section wins.

OR.... you might have a section that is close, but you want a little more.

That's when you move to section 5, where you did say orange pad, FG400, machine speed 4, etc. this is where you might like to step up to machine speed 4.5, or 5... then compare it to the same compound, with the same pad, (just that you used a bit slower machine speed).

WRITE EVERYTHING DOWN when you're testing like that. Once you get it, you've got it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cardaddy View Post
    You don't need 2 or 3 QD sprays! Use 1, and get familiar with it. Why not get some Duragloss Fast Clean & Shine? I was speaking with Dr. Bill @ Duragloss about this time last year and he turned me on to how they'd been mixing Aquawax with FC&S and getting amazing results. Seems the best mix they'd found was 3 parts Aquawax to 1 part FC&S.
    I just acquired them from buying the "clay bar kits" they sell, where mothers and megs used to include QD as lubricant.

I've always liked DG AW, but i'm trying to establish a good baseline with these cars where they are clean and protected from the elements, and to do that I'm looking to use the DA polisher. I ran the bag test on the new subaru, and it needs clayed, which isn't a big deal but I confirmed it needed it.

I always thought 845 was a wax, not a sealant perhaps I'm wrong. I understand that silver won't "pop" like a clean black car will, but I'd like it to stay clean and smooth

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jmikolich View Post
    I just acquired them from buying the "clay bar kits" they sell, where mothers and megs used to include QD as lubricant.

I've always liked DG AW, but i'm trying to establish a good baseline with these cars where they are clean and protected from the elements, and to do that I'm looking to use the DA polisher. I ran the bag test on the new subaru, and it needs clayed, which isn't a big deal but I confirmed it needed it.

I always thought 845 was a wax, not a sealant perhaps I'm wrong. I understand that silver won't "pop" like a clean black car will, but I'd like it to stay clean and smooth
    So, things in life happen, and now the spring weather is back again after some sleet, hail and freezing rain all in the past 24hrs.

Let's up the ante to $100, and see what we can do for that amount.

I'm thinking:
    $16 for backing plate , 5"?
    $55 for 6 pack of 6.5" LC pads (but which selection? was thinking 2x orange, 2x white, grey and red)
    $?? Pad cleaner?
    $?? Compound? Megs UC?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jmikolich View Post
    So, things in life happen, and now the spring weather is back again after some sleet, hail and freezing rain all in the past 24hrs.

Let's up the ante to $100, and see what we can do for that amount.

I'm thinking:
    $16 for backing plate , 5"?
    $55 for 6 pack of 6.5" LC pads (but which selection? was thinking 2x orange, 2x white, grey and red)
    $?? Pad cleaner?
    $?? Compound? Megs UC?
    So I'm impatient, as a millennial I have to have everything immediately, so I placed an order to take advantage of the 15% off and ordered the following, no real clue whether its 100% correct for what I want, but I figured, as many of you have pointed out, i'll never have enough supplies and something I buy today, though I may not take full advantage of it, will be useful at some point.

5" backing plate
    6 pack of lake country flat pads (2 orange, 2 white, 1 black, 1 red)
    The BOGO of Meguiars Starter kit
    The perfect MF starter kit with MF wash (2 chinchillas, 2 gold plus Jr, 2 AP towels)
    1liter of Carpro TRIX
    8oz Menzerna AIO

Total $150 with then free shipping, and 15% off, and the $50 from this thread my total wife explained amount is $80, Which I don't think is too bad.

Next up on my list is to buy more pads, but I'll probably be waiting until they go on sale.

Post Thanks / Like

If your budget is $50.00 then look at AMAZON.COM as I did in making my purchase of a Porter Cable DA polisher and a 6.5 hook & loop backing plate and then there was a deal on Lake County foam pads 6 total which encompass what ever you could want in a polishing pad assortment. Also I did get some 3M Perfect It Show Car Carnauba Paste Wax and 3M Perfect It # 2 Polish. In all you should be able to find some great items at better prices.

Sorry also you can go to Harbor Freight as they sell the 6" foam finishing (black) and (red) for cutting pads and they are very cost effective as well as Meguiar's 105 & 205 polishes. Hey just giving you some information and yes they sell backing plates there and also polishers like your Porter Cable DA polisher but it is a no name brand but it seems to work very well . . . . Good Luck!!!

Post Thanks / Like

yeah a 5" plate..
    And whatever you have left on pads....
    BUT I wouldn't get a multipack of varying pads.. i'd select the correct pads for the paint types and condition you have and get multiples of..

Problem you have is the Scooby is soft paint so will likely need softer polish and finish pads but the VW are generally harder and will need firmer pads.. soooo
    for now get the aplpication and finishing pads for application only..

Then when you have $100+ bucks get 4 off each polish pads and light correction pads..

Its all well and good to apply LSP with DA BUT if ots over imperfect paint it will be compromised..

I expect the first time you correct and finish you'll love the reuslt and wanna do both cars in full.. thats normal..

All the best..

Post Thanks / Like

Great info from CARDADDY

And use the black car as it will show you more clearly difference than the silver sticky scooby paint.. which is a bit of an outlier in terms of "typical paint and products to use..)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12