autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Porter cable backing plates..

First let me start off by introducing myself and saying im new to the website and to this fourm. I just purchased a Porter cable 7424 DA polisher and was wondering if someone could point me in the right direction for buying new backing plates for it. I got the standard size hook & loop plate for it but i want to get a backing plate that will allow me to use pads that are between 3'' and 6''. (possibly smaller if thats an option?) Thanks for the help guys!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Porter cable backing plates..

Hello, and welcome to the forum.

The Plates you seek can be found here at autogeek's store.
    Lake Country does make all sizes that will fit the PC7424 DA Polisher.

The required sizes would be 2-7/8" yellow Urethane Backing Plate for 3" Pads.

3-1/2" Backing Plate for 4" Pads

5" Backing Plate for 5-1/2" Pads. (Griots Garage also now makes a very nice 5" Ventilated Backing Plate which would be very nice and will fit the PC type machines)

There are more options, but am fuzzy in memory, that certain Plate and Pad Combos could be used with Microfiber Bonnets, ands thus could be used in such a fashion for both applying, and removing waxes and sealants, or 1-step products.

Hope this helps.

Mike Phillips

Hi stanza387,

Since this is your first post to our forum let me start by saying,

Welcome to AutogeekOnline!

Next let say that just about any car detailing topic that you're interested in I have an article on it and a lot of the time you can find it by going to Google and typing in a few key words for the topic and then add my name.

Out of all the articles I've written in my life I share this one the most as simple as it is....

Video: Mark your backing plate to make it easy to see pad rotation

Click the link and you'll find lots of "other" information for your Porter Cable like the backing plate you see in the picture PLUS the link to the store where you can purchase it.

And again, more info in the actual thread.

Video: Mark your backing plate to make it easy to see pad rotation

Post Thanks / Like

hello welcome !!!!!! try lake country 5 inch backing plate lc-43-125da with the 5.5 lake country pads always try to match the pad made by the manufacturer to the backing plate made by the manufacturer . and if you can get mike phillips detailing how to book it has every thing you need to start polishing to a show car shine... also i would sign up for mike phillips competition ready detailing class the knowledge you gain from the class and the cool cars will blow you away.. and just keep posting here on the forum.. glad your here keep on shinning

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all the replies guys.. and Mike its awesome to see that you are on these forums responding to your fans and answering our questions. Being able to pick your brain and getting your feedback is so valuable. I did order my PC 7424 from AutoGeek and I did receive your new version of "The complete guide to a show car shine" and I'm blown away by how much you go into detail and how much I'm learning from it (I haven't finished it yet, just got it yesterday). Its like a beginners bible for detailing.

I also work at a marina so i wax a lot of boats and I know this is AutoGeek but i got a quick boat question for you mike.. is there any other steps to prepping a boat for compound, polish, and wax? Like with a car you would wash and then clay to remove contaminants. Is there a step for removing contaminants on a boat? or is that not necessary when it comes to fiberglass and gel coats?

Switching back to cars... I'm looking for a good scrub brush. Other then using microfiber to wash a car what is something stronger to use that will remove tough dirt and grime? I don't want to use a standard firm bristle scrub brush because that would just be stupid. Does anyone have any recommendations on a scrub brush that is firm and stiff enough to remove tough dirt but soft enough to not damage clear coats?

What product do you guys recommend for restoring black flat/smooth plastic? I'm getting ready to completely detail my black Buick Lacrosse and it has a lot of this. Also whats a good headlight restoration product/kit? Thanks again guys for all the help and i will post before and after pictures of my whole detailing job to my Buick. I am using Wolfgang 3.0 swirl remover and Wolfgang 3.0 finishing glaze. I am then going to top it off with Meguiar's Mirror Glaze Synthetic Sealant 2.0 #21. I also have Meguiar's clay im going to use and Quik Detailing spray to lubricate with. Wish me luck guys! This is my first time detailing and buffing out a car ever and my first time using a DA polisher. I have only used a rotary buffer and have only detailed and waxed/buffed boats so any advice would be appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like

I've read that people have good luck with Meguires Back to Black for restoring black trim. For headlights, Meguires PlastX is a good place to start. I've had good luck with it.

But I bet you'd do fine with any of the headlight polishes AG sells. I'd pick up a dedicated 3" pad for the headlights. There is a new polish in the McKee's line. Be sure to apply a protectant after polishing to prevent continued hazing/discoloration.

McKee's 37 All In One Headlight Restoring Polish, headlight restoration
    McKee's 37 Headlight Protectant Spray