autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Not So Easy

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Not So Easy

Quote Originally Posted by expdetailing View Post
    DP4Duke,
    It sounds like you did everything within your grasp and stuck to the pbl line to let it work as a system. It's easy to understand with the way synergy is marketed why you had the feelings you had. That being said though, I would bet anybody that no wax on earth can look any better than synergy does on top of pbl coating.
    So, how did the prep work impress you? Did you walk away thinking you could have done better, or were you impressed with the results?
    I was very happy with the entire process except after I applied Synergy, which I applied by hand.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DP4Duke View Post
    I was very happy with the entire process except after I applied Synergy, which I applied by hand.
    My suggestion is always apply waxes/lsp's by machine. Until I got my 3" Rupes I'd use my PC (which I sold) with a 3" backing plate and an LC 4" black pad speed #2. Thin is in and it will make your application so much easier along with making your investment in the high end wax go much fuuuuurtherrrrrr.
    2013 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track Edition
    2015 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2016 Pearl White Nissan Altima SR
    2019 Nissan Rogue SL

Post Thanks / Like

I think you guys are way over thinking this..

Let me ask you how long did you wait to apply synergy on top of the sealant after you applied the sealant??

And what was your process in applying the synergy (what applicators, wait time, towels, temperature, in the sun??)?
    It's all in the details

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EVOlved View Post
    I think you guys are way over thinking this..

Let me ask you how long did you wait to apply synergy on top of the sealant after you applied the sealant??

And what was your process in applying the synergy (what applicators, wait time, towels, temperature, in the sun??)?
    Not to be rude here Evolved, But I think you are over-thinking this with the questions you are asking. What would it matter what applicator he used?
    His main concern was about the look he expected that he did not recieve after applying the wax. Sealant curing time, as I see it, and based on my experience, has no effect to the look after a wax is applied. Sure, a sealant has to have curing time to look its best, but he stated his sealant looked satisfactory before he applied the wax.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by expdetailing View Post
    Not to be rude here Evolved, But I think you are over-thinking this with the questions you are asking. What would it matter what applicator he used?
    His main concern was about the look he expected that he did not recieve after applying the wax. Sealant curing time, as I see it, and based on my experience, has no effect to the look after a wax is applied. Sure, a sealant has to have curing time to look its best, but he stated his sealant looked satisfactory before he applied the wax.
    But he's also the first person to my knowledge who has posted anything negative about Synergy? So like I said before, machine apply it. I'm going with others, he applied it too thick which is common with hand application. Like Mike says, let the machine do the work.
    2013 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track Edition
    2015 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2016 Pearl White Nissan Altima SR
    2019 Nissan Rogue SL

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, I believe the fact that he applied it too thick has already been established. What seems to be lost here with some of those that are posting was that his main complaint was about the look he was expecting and did not receive. The application and removal issue just added to the main complaint, but was not a central point in his disappointment.
    I explained the coating provided so much of the look he sought that nothing else was to be gained by the wax. I'm guilty of the same. I felt this way about blackice over bfwd. I thought my way through it, and recognized what happened.
    I shared this experience with the OP, and it seems he understands now. I think he'll grow more and more attached to his synergy as he uses it in the future, just as I have been doing with my blackice.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I did not apply Synergy with the machine because I could not get the wax to pop out of the container and I do not have a pad that small, although I will get one for the future. The sealant was allowed to cure for about 18 hours. The detailing was done in a garage and the temperature here in SC has been 60-70 degrees this week. As for the applicator, I used the pad provided with the Synergy. For the record, I am a person who always reads the manufacturers instructions and I try to follow them exactly as recommended.

Based on the comments and suggestions, would it be best to let the sealant do its work minus the Synergy and use the Synergy on a car which I had not used the sealant?
    Last edited by DP4Duke; 09-27-2014 at 01:16 PM. Reason: wanted to add a question

Post Thanks / Like

If I were you, I would use the sealant and the synergy on my (your) car because synergy would give the cc and sealant protection.
    Another person such as a friend or a customer, IMO, would not/could not appreciate the synergy at the level you do, or will in the future.
    If you want to seal and wax someone else's car, use a good bang for the buck wax, but not the synergy, IMO.
    When it comes to machine applying over a sealant, I will use the least aggressive method, which is by hand, unless I am recommended otherwise by the manufacturer. I don't like scrubbing my sealant with any pad w/ wax on a DA no matter what.

Post Thanks / Like

Synergy is a pretty easy wax to use. It spreads pretty far and wipes off pretty easy. I do not believe using a sealant under it would effect either one of those properties. So, I'm in the camp of "you may have applied too much". You should be applying it thin enough so it hazes (dries) almost immediately out of sun/heat. If your waiting around for a panel to haze after waxing it - you applied too much.

As for the wax itself - it's quite amazing. I'm using it now and the durability seems quite unsurpassed compared to conventional products. I wouldn't apply it by machine, but only because it's costly and you tend to use more product with machine application IMHO.

As for the looks of Synergy - I like it. And.... I don't like the look of every wax. However, the difference of any wax over over any sealant will be subtle - especially if the surface was polished correctly prior and the defects removed. Waxes can actually diminish certain aspects of the look of paint - they can also enhance others. It just depends on what look you prefer.

You may just like the clear look of the sealant better on your particular car - and that is fine. Or, you may be disappointed because you expected to see a "difference" after applying Synergy - but didn't. Either way, you live and learn what works for you. I've bought waxes I didn't like as well for whatever reason - but Synergy wasn't one of them.

Post Thanks / Like

My BlackIce spreads pretty far and wipes off pretty easy too, however it does not act this way on my smooth paint that has BFWD on it, that's for sure. I wonder how close Synergy is to BlackIce?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast