autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Pinnacle Ultra Poly Clay - Most gentle clay? As gentle as Sonus SFX?

I want to know if Pinnacle Ultra Poly Clay is as gentle as Sonus SFX Ultra-Fine Detailing Clay? The reason I ask is because just the OTC Meguiar's clay bar has marred by soft black Porsche paint.

I want the absolute MOST GENTLE clay bar. I don't care if I need to fifty more passes with the clay to remove the embedded particles, I just don't want the clay to mar the paint and force me to polish. Both clay bars (Pinnacle Ultra Poly Clay and Sonus SFX Ultra-Fine Detailing Clay) bill themselves as being maintenance clays that will not mar surfaces.

Both claim that they need to be used with their specific clay lubricants. While I have never seen this been the case with prior clays, do either of these need their respective lubes in order to produce a mar-free finish?

All in all, in the forum's opinion, which clay is the most gentle? I have it narrowed down to Pinnacle Ultra Poly Clay and Sonus SFX Ultra-Fine Detailing Clay. Which one of these (or another I am not thinking of) is the best for what I need?

Thanks and happy detailing!

Mike Phillips

Re: Pinnacle Ultra Poly Clay - Most gentle clay? As gentle as Sonus SFX?

I'd say if Megs clay marred the paint on your Porsche then probably rubbing any clay against the paint is going to mar it.

There's only so non-aggressive a product can be and after that it's all about the paint.

I just don't want you to be disappointed in any clay product because from what we've all read and experienced when working on soft paints is the stuff is scratched easily.

Me? If I'm going to clay a car with any clay I've already decided I'm also going to do at least one machine polishing step.

Just sayin...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    I'd say if Megs clay marred the paint on your Porsche then probably rubbing any clay against the paint is going to mar it.

There's only so non-aggressive a product can be and after that it's all about the paint.

I just don't want you to be disappointed in any clay product because from what we've all read and experienced when working on soft paints is the stuff is scratched easily.

Me? If I'm going to clay a car with any clay I've already decided I'm also going to do at least one machine polishing step.

Just sayin...

Thanks, Mike! You're right, but what else is new! I think that if I am claying, I should finish up with a LC HT Crimson Pad and some Menzerna SF4500?

The kicker is... I have Opti-Coat 2.0 on my Porsche. If I am claying and then polishing, then that would remove the Opti-Coat, right? Maybe the Opti-Coat would allow me to clay without it marring? If it were you, and you had Opti-Coat on the car, would you still machine polish? If I do that, and still want the Opti-Coat 2.0 protection, then I would need to re-apply, correct?

Thanks for your input and continued help, Mike. You're the Greatest That Ever Lived (Ali ain't got nothing on you!)

Post Thanks / Like

The lightest graded clay available is fine. Brand does not matter because it is only made by one company in the US because of patent law. The clay is then packaged and sold retail to the customer. The colors don't matter because the retailer can request different colors. As long as you are buying a brand name and not the generic off of eBay it's all the same. So buy the biggest cheapest bars you can get. Just a quinky dink. I have only seen clay come packed one way. Clear plastic wrappers. They only thing different is the box if it comes with one.
    inDetail, "It's all in the details."

Post Thanks / Like

Why are you claying your car when you have opti coat 2.0 on it? Im confused...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BlackHawk View Post
    Why are you claying your car when you have opti coat 2.0 on it? Im confused...
    I feel embedded contaminants in the paint. From what I've read, claying is still necessary with Opti-Coat 2.0. Is there another way to release the contaminants if a car has Opti-Coat on it?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Radarryan View Post
    I feel embedded contaminants in the paint. From what I've read, claying is still necessary with Opti-Coat 2.0. Is there another way to release the contaminants if a car has Opti-Coat on it?
    IronX?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by af90 View Post
    IronX?
    Would iron-x be safer than a fine clay? Also, what if the contaminants are not all iron? I've never used iron-x but I assume it only works on metallic contaminants.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Radarryan View Post
    Would iron-x be safer than a fine clay? Also, what if the contaminants are not all iron? I've never used iron-x but I assume it only works on metallic contaminants.
    You are correct, ironx works on iron and does not remove other contaminants that may be bonded to the paint.
    Nova College of Dental Medicine Class of 2017
    Please check out my detailing YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/roshan517

Post Thanks / Like

Talking Re: Pinnacle Ultra Poly Clay - Most gentle clay? As gentle as Sonus SFX?

Quote Originally Posted by inDetail View Post
    The lightest graded clay available is fine. Brand does not matter because it is only made by one company in the US because of patent law. The clay is then packaged and sold retail to the customer. The colors don't matter because the retailer can request different colors. As long as you are buying a brand name and not the generic off of eBay it's all the same. So buy the biggest cheapest bars you can get. Just a quinky dink. I have only seen clay come packed one way. Clear plastic wrappers. They only thing different is the box if it comes with one.
    not true. clay magics patent has expired. the yellow clay is available again.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast