autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Pinnacle vs Meg.

Quote Originally Posted by spence View Post
    I used them both on a side by side black panels and could not tell any difference.
    I don't doubt that for a minute.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mfour View Post
    I just used the Meg Ultimate Wax and was blown away with the shine for the money spent. In fairness I want to try the pinnacle
    Not singling this post out, but I always think it can't look "great" if someone has to put the disclaimer "for the money I spent" or "for what it costs". That means to me it looks good, but you feel it could have looked better if you spent more.

There are good waxes that are cheap and there are great waxes that are expensive. If you think "its all the same" I almost feel bad for you. Obviously a wax that is blue, red, or yellow in a tub is blue, red, and yellow on your paint - albeit a thin layer hard to see. Where its noticeable is where you stand back and look at the whole vehicle.

If you think of it this way, you wax tub is "waxed", just with a very thick coat. Now can you see the difference?

Probably both the waxes you are looking at are fine. But, most anal picky detailers will tell you a paste wax will look better than a liquid.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dynamic_Detailing View Post
    There's definitely a difference. This is something I could spend quite a deal of time discussing. I'm not sure who junkman is, but I mean NO OFFENSE to him whatsoever, but from my perspective there are several reasons why there are hundreds of waxes on the market from $10 to $4,000 (Swissvax makes a duo that is almost $4,000).

I won't give an exhaustive dissertation here, but everything from the ingredients (grade of carnauba, amount of crystalline polymers, etc etc), to the ease of both application and more so the ease of removal, to the LONGEVITY of beading and protection and gloss endurance, to the variance the wax provides regarding whether it is a warm deep type of gloss, or a hard candy-shell shallow yet shiny type of gloss, and on... and on... and on... all factor into WHY you use the wax you use. As a matter of fact, even the paint color and type all come into play!
    he definitely misquoted junkman, junkman's take on waxes and sealants is that when being used on a well cared for or show car finish you shouldn't try to use wax to obtain shine, that the paint should be made shiny by proper correction, waxes and sealants are for protection not shine, (although many do have oils and fillers to give a shiny look to the paint). but he does say there are definite quality differences in both sealants and waxes.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cplchris View Post
    he definitely misquoted junkman, junkman's take on waxes and sealants is that when being used on a well cared for or show car finish you shouldn't try to use wax to obtain shine, that the paint should be made shiny by proper correction, waxes and sealants are for protection not shine, (although many do have oils and fillers to give a shiny look to the paint). but he does say there are definite quality differences in both sealants and waxes.

Exactly! Junkman followers know what I'm talking about. Wonder what he would say when asked this question? Pinnacle vs Meg?? I'm sure there is a difference but his theory makes sense. Side by side I doubt you would be able to tell the difference. But who am I to say I'm just a noob and I'm here to learn.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cplchris View Post
    he definitely misquoted junkman, (junkman2000 on here and youtube), junkman's take on waxes and sealants is that when being used on a well cared for or show car finish you shouldn't try to use wax to obtain shine, that the paint should be made shiny by proper correction, waxes and sealants are for protection not shine, (although many do have oils and fillers to give a shiny look to the paint). but he does say there are definite quality differences in both sealants and waxes.
    Ahhhhh, ok... I see, makes sense! Thanks.

He does have a decent point there.
    "Don't Drive Dull!"
    Carsmetic Rehabilitation Detailologist: Aesthetic Actualization

Post Thanks / Like

Regarding waxes, he had a contest for people to guess what final finishes he put on the subject automobile. People had to give their guesses whether it was a sealer, waxes, paint coating or what combination there of was used to obtain a real specimen of a shine. I'll let you search for it so you can decide as well. I'll look for it and add it on if I can find it.

elliot

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dynamic_Detailing View Post
    There's definitely a difference. This is something I could spend quite a deal of time discussing. I'm not sure who junkman is, but I mean NO OFFENSE to him whatsoever, but from my perspective there are several reasons why there are hundreds of waxes on the market from $10 to $4,000 (Swissvax makes a duo that is almost $4,000).

I won't give an exhaustive dissertation here, but everything from the ingredients (grade of carnauba, amount of crystalline polymers, etc etc), to the ease of both application and more so the ease of removal, to the LONGEVITY of beading and protection and gloss endurance, to the variance the wax provides regarding whether it is a warm deep type of gloss, or a hard candy-shell shallow yet shiny type of gloss, and on... and on... and on... all factor into WHY you use the wax you use. As a matter of fact, even the paint color and type all come into play!
    This one? Sheesh...didn't even know this existed

Pinnacle vs Meg.-imageuploadedbyagonline1377720947-037948-jpg

Post Thanks / Like

The only way to settle this would be a double blind test with several waxes on the same type/color surface. I'll just say the $$ doesn't mean diddly except less money in your wallet.

Post Thanks / Like
    Do durability differ between waxes?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hernandez.art13 View Post
    Do durability differ between waxes?
    Good question Art!

Makes one wonder which has more durability between the different types of plant and animal waxes.

Also:
    Would there be a noticeable difference in durability if a "wax" has amino-functional polymers as part of its formulation?
    NOTE:
    It's been said that these type of polymers form a molecular bond to paint...which is supposed to equate to more durability.

But, by the addition of the above mentioned amino-functional polymers, would this "wax"
    now be technically a synthetic; a micro-crystalline wax; a Hybrid-wax; and/or a Sealant?

And, by what testing protocols, would it be deemed to be more, or less, durable than a given plant/animal wax?

This is where the adage: "Buy It and Try It"...probably comes in handy.

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast