autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Talk to me about XMT1

The other day I first used the XMT line. I used XMT2 on the Scion Tc and had very good results. It handled some light swirls, no dusting, a little goes a long ways and it left a great finish. Well today I am working on a new Pruis (bought in Nov.) and there are very light swirls in various spots on the car. Since it isn't bad around the whole car I figured I'd try XMT1 out instead of using XMT2. Well I think that was a mistake. I could not get it to work right. No matter what I tried I got dusting. I used the PC and a LC white polishing pad. I tried using more product, less product, sprayed some QD to dampen the pad, tried speed 5, speed 6, worked it in a lot, and not, did a smaller area, a larger area ... no matter what it dusted. Plus the swirls and light waterspots were still there! The roof had minor water spots on it and XMT1 barely did anything with them. So I used Poorboy's PwS and that got rid of the water spots no problem. So to say the least I am a little disappointed with XMT1.

So, sorry for my ramblings but how do you use XMT1 and get no dusting? What do you use XMT1 for? Light swirls? As a follow up polish after a heavier polish? What is your process with this polish? I know that every detail product has different characteristics and there are different learning curves but I just can't figure this polish out! Thanks for any replies to help this situation.

PS- Do you find that it stains plastic and rubber as well?

Post Thanks / Like
    Ive used the xmt 1 and orange edge pads, and that worked well. maybe the pad u used is to soft? Dont know how soft the LC white pad is...
    EVOIX

Post Thanks / Like
    I get dusting with ALL my polishes (Optimum and entire XMT line)

I've never had luck with XMT 1, I truly feel it's too light for swirl removal. With XMT #4 just coming out, I think this completes the line much better.

Most of the time I use XMT 3 and get LSP ready no problem. If the vehicle has light imperfections, XMT 2 is perfect.

I like to use XMT 1 and a light cutting pad or Blue Edge pad for removing any sealant/wax. It works well for this and to "jewel" the paint and prep it for a new sealant or wax.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey budman,

Well I know people say that XMT does not dust but it does a little, at least that's what I have experienced with it. To me it's not a big deal weather it dusts or not...oh I should say though that it only dusts on me when the pad is getting full of polish, after I clean the pad it does not dust...well that's just me not sure if you tried cleaning the pad.

As for XMT #1 and what its purpose is, I've only used it as jewelling the paint. Like you said, after an abrasive polish like XMT #3 I go over it with XMT #1 to just jewel the car. I find that XMT #1 is best for that. However, I have used XMT #1 with a white pad on my Lexus and it left my Lexus flawless, mind you the Lexus is brand new and has no scratches...well none that I've been able to see just yet.

That's about all the feed back I can provide....other then that hope the rest of the gang here joins in and helps you out.

Post Thanks / Like
    From my experience XMT #1 does not do much on swirls. It does remove some light marring. I always get some dust from the XMT line.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Nica
    However, I have used XMT #1 with a white pad on my Lexus and it left my Lexus flawless, mind you the Lexus is brand new and has no scratches...well none that I've been able to see just yet.
    Ya this is a brand new silver Toyota Pruis... exaclty the same boat as you here. Thanks everyone for your replies. Atleast I know I'm not going loopy because I couldn't get this polish not to dust . I mean this isn't like a snowstorm all over the car but enough to bug me atleast. I guess I'll be reserving this polish for perfecting paint after I've used heavier polishes. Thanks again.

Post Thanks / Like
    I like XMT 1 for hand applying the BMW door jambs and door pillars on the cars I recondition. It really replaces the Pinnacle Paste Glaze (so sorry to see that product be dropped). XMT is a quick wipe-on/wipe-off that does a nice job in those areas.

Also, I occasionally use it after compounding and glazing on parts I might have glazed too lightly or parts that didn't come through "just right". It's quick and easy work and doesn't require a re-process of the area.

Toto

Post Thanks / Like
    *Whoosh* I thought I was the only one who experienced dusting from XMT1. From what little I have used of #1 I didn't find it to be much help in removing anything but light hazing. Then again I used it with a polishing pad, not a light cutting pad. I've used #3 a few times when I needed to do some spot buffing on scratches. I experienced dusting with #3 as well, but I was pretty successful in minimizing if not removing the imperfections.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have used XMT#1 to just clean the paint. It's abrasives are mild......very.......so all it will do is take off old wax and grime.
    Formerly "justin30513"

www.clean4udetailing.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Totoland Mach
    I like XMT 1 for hand applying the BMW door jambs and door pillars on the cars I recondition. It really replaces the Pinnacle Paste Glaze (so sorry to see that product be dropped). XMT is a quick wipe-on/wipe-off that does a nice job in those areas.

Also, I occasionally use it after compounding and glazing on parts I might have glazed too lightly or parts that didn't come through "just right". It's quick and easy work and doesn't require a re-process of the area.

Toto
    Toto, you say it really replaces the Pinnacle paste glaze? Wasn't that a wax? XMT1 is a polish with no protection. Sorry, I'm a little confused.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast