autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    McKee's 37 Product Support
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Lets discuss Pinnacle Paintwork Cleansing Lotion

Quote Originally Posted by TimmyG
    I've heard plenty of positive reviews for this product. I've even heard people mention that on a white paint job, it's a must. Does anyone else feel this way? Why or why not? I'm currently working on a trashed arctic white 1996 firebird formula convertible with tons of swirls and rids. They're slowly but surely being removed and I'm just curious if I can use this cleansing lotion to my advantage before applying a sealant and topping with a paste wax.

Please advise!
    Pinnacle Paintwork Cleansing Lotion is designed for vehicles that are new or very well maintained. It is not designed to remove swirls, scratches and other paint defects. This product is designed to be used before applying a wax or sealant on paint that's in great shape.

Quote Originally Posted by TimmyG View Post
    I've looked at both of these products and I'm truly wondering if I even need a prewax product. I've looked at the Griots Garage cleaner, Pinnacle, P21s, etc. Just not sure if I need one of not. Would an IPA wipedown/CarPro Eraser application suffice?

I don't want to comprimise on quality here. If a prewax cleanser gives me a better, glossier finish at the end, then I'll order one.
    You're comparing apples to oranges. Griot's Garage Pre-Wax Cleaner and IPA remove polishing oils that are on the surface. Paint cleaners, such as Pinnacle's Paintwork Cleansing Lotion, actually polish the paint and remove below surface contaminants along with previously applied waxes and sealants. This leaves your paint squeaky clean so your wax or sealant of choice will bond better.

Using a paint cleaner, such as Pinnacle Paintwork Cleansing Lotion or P21S Gloss Enhancing Paintwork Cleanser are definitely beneficial and will lead to an LSP that looks better and lasts longer.

Quote Originally Posted by nightanole View Post
    I hope i didnt ruin my hood. I got the sample with one of my orders. I figured i could use it since is so non abrasive that it doesnt remove swirls. Well i did what it said, washed, in garage under florescent light, did back and forth with microfiber towel. Worked great at rounding over the 2 big scratches i used it on. Could not see them. So then i put a coat of zaino z5 anti swirl and z2 standard, and CG nano sealant.

Well it direct sun light i have holograms at the 2 spots i used it on

Should i strip it and re wax, or should i try to correct? I cant think of anything less abrasive then the lotion.

It says not to hand swirl, so im not sure how to get rid of the holograms, if use the lotion again.

It sounds like the holograms were already there and Pinnacle Paintwork Cleansing Lotion removed the fillers from the product that was previously applied. Holograms are caused by the motion of a rotary polisher and are impossible to inflict by hand.

To remove the holograms/swirls, you will need to use an abrasive polish in conjunction with a dual action polisher. Pinnacle Advanced Swirl Remover works well when paired with a Lake Country CCS Orange or White pad on a Porter Cable 7424xp.

Post Thanks / Like

Thankyou for the detailed response Nick! I actually ordered the Griots Garage prewax cleanser with my last order so I'm going to give it a try. I'll eventually try the Pinnacle lotion on my Z06 I'm thinking.

2012 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 - Torch Red

Post Thanks / Like
    Are these products truly non abrasive. I mean, don't they just have very mild abrasives? Or, do they clean paint 100% with chemicals. I thought of using one, just to change up my LSP(strip off old LSP), but I just polished not too long ago and I'm not ready to use anything that removes and clear.I do own the P21S cleansing lotion, but I bought some CG Citrus and Gloss and the Griots clear wax remover to strip my old LSP. What do you think? Think I can remove the old LSP without a cleansing lotion, as paint is in excellent shape not and really to want to touch it with anything even mildly abrasive.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TimmyG View Post
    Thankyou for the detailed response Nick! I actually ordered the Griots Garage prewax cleanser with my last order so I'm going to give it a try. I'll eventually try the Pinnacle lotion on my Z06 I'm thinking.
    Sounds good.

Quote Originally Posted by swanicyouth View Post
    Are these products truly non abrasive. I mean, don't they just have very mild abrasives? Or, do they clean paint 100% with chemicals. I thought of using one, just to change up my LSP(strip off old LSP), but I just polished not too long ago and I'm not ready to use anything that removes and clear.I do own the P21S cleansing lotion, but I bought some CG Citrus and Gloss and the Griots clear wax remover to strip my old LSP. What do you think? Think I can remove the old LSP without a cleansing lotion, as paint is in excellent shape not and really to want to touch it with anything even mildly abrasive.
    Pinnacle Paintwork Cleansing lotion is in fact non-abrasive. Through the use of advanced chemical cleaners, it removes below surface contaminants. It does not remove any clear coat.

Post Thanks / Like

I recieved a 2oz sample in one of my orders. I understand what its supposed to do. I just couldn't tell if it was doing anything at all.

So I personally do not recommend it.
    Jacob

Post Thanks / Like

TimmyG,
    I will make this real easy it's a great product and if you like to try some before you buy it shoot me a PM and I will send you out a sample .
    Lamborghini Broward

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Im just going to strip the hood and figure out whats going on. The car only has 6k on it ( i bought it new before winter). I got 2 big scratches over winter and didnt want to buff out a brand new hood. So the no abrasive "round over edges of scratches so light doesnt catch them" was what i was looking for. And it worked great. from any angle in the garage or cloudy day, the 2 scratches are 90% gone and im tickled.

But looking at the front of the car during a sunny day, i can see EXACTLY where i applied the lotion.

Should i have washed the hood after the lotion and before the wax? Maybe i trapped some lotion in between the paint and the wax layer?

Im relieved that you say i didnt damage the paint

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by timaishu View Post
    I recieved a 2oz sample in one of my orders. I understand what its supposed to do. I just couldn't tell if it was doing anything at all.

So I personally do not recommend it.
    Find a vehicle that hasn't been waxed in 6 months and put a tape line down the middle of the hood. Apply the Pinnacle Paintwork Cleansing Lotion to one side along with a coat of wax, and then apply just a coat of wax to the other side. You'll notice that the wax spreads much thinner on the side first polished with Pinnacle Paintwork Cleansing Lotion. Watch the durability too.

Quote Originally Posted by nightanole View Post
    Im just going to strip the hood and figure out whats going on. The car only has 6k on it ( i bought it new before winter). I got 2 big scratches over winter and didnt want to buff out a brand new hood. So the no abrasive "round over edges of scratches so light doesnt catch them" was what i was looking for. And it worked great. from any angle in the garage or cloudy day, the 2 scratches are 90% gone and im tickled.

But looking at the front of the car during a sunny day, i can see EXACTLY where i applied the lotion.

Should i have washed the hood after the lotion and before the wax? Maybe i trapped some lotion in between the paint and the wax layer?

Im relieved that you say i didnt damage the paint
    Keep in mind, just because a vehicle is brand new doesn't mean the hood wasn't already polished by an inexperienced rotary buffer user at the dealership. This happens way more than it should, on both new and used cars.

If you can actually see where you applied the lotion, as in the strokes of the applicator, it sounds like it wasn't fully removed. Pinnacle Paintwork Cleansing Lotion is designed to be applied very thin and buffed off almost immediately after application.

A dime-size drop of polish on an applicator is more than enough to do half a hood, if not more.

If you could, take a couple pictures of the hood in direct sunlight so we can get a better idea of what you're working with.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick@Autogeek View Post
    Sounds good.
    Pinnacle Paintwork Cleansing lotion is in fact non-abrasive. Through the use of advanced chemical cleaners, it removes below surface contaminants. It does not remove any clear coat.
    Very helpful, thanks. Do you know if the P21S product is the same???

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nick@Autogeek View Post
    You're comparing apples to oranges. Griot's Garage Pre-Wax Cleaner and IPA remove polishing oils that are on the surface. Paint cleaners, such as Pinnacle's Paintwork Cleansing Lotion, actually polish the paint and remove below surface contaminants along with previously applied waxes and sealants. This leaves your paint squeaky clean so your wax or sealant of choice will bond better.

Using a paint cleaner, such as Pinnacle Paintwork Cleansing Lotion or P21S Gloss Enhancing Paintwork Cleanser are definitely beneficial and will lead to an LSP that looks better and lasts longer.
    Does a polish like PO85RD fill the same function as Pinnacle Paintwork Cleaning Lotion (with the obvious difference of having very mild abrasive properties)? That is, if you use the PO, does that make the Pinnacle unneccesary?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast