autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

SSII...VERY Dissapointed...###???

OK guys, please let me say this first...I swear from the bottom of my heart I am not trolling here!

So I'm new to Pinnacle stuff and bought a can of SSII to try this year after all the reveiws. Well, a few weeks ago I got around to trying it out. I didn't do it as part of my "spring cleaning", but the surface was in great shape when I applied it. As history just in case it's relevant, I applied the SSII over a layer of Mother's carnuba paste about a month + old.

I applied one panel at a time doing the WOWO. By far, the easiest, one of the most enjoyable products I've ever used. Product worked great, no sreaking or anything out of the ordinary and seemed to work as advertised. I was not overly impressed with the finish, but that may be largely in part to the fact my car was already in great shape. I'd simply say the SSII didn't change my finish at all that was noticeable.

Here's where it get's tricky...car stayed clean for about a week and the wax did not get wet during this time. Car was driven for about two days in a good rain shower. Car was washed (with Pinnacle Bodywork Shampoo mind you) about 3-4 days after the rain. Pre and post washing revealed little to no water beading at all. There was no tight beads and the water just kinda hung around sticking to the paint in sheets. The best way to describe it is water sitting on a car with no wax! Drying was even more dissapointing than the lack of beading. I have PakShak towels in excellent shape. The towels just kinda drug across the paint. Drying it down was a horrible experience. After one washing, the surface just feels like there's nothing there. A clean MF on a clean surface doesn't even glide smoothly across.

What did I do wrong???????

Post Thanks / Like

Re: SSII...VERY Dissapointed...###???

I don't know. It looks great on my car. Gives it a candy coated look. IT never sees rain, so I cant speak for durability in rain. Mine beads 3 months later at least when I wash it. If yours wore out that quickly, I could see why you are disappointed.

What kind of paint? Clear or single stage? Factory or Repaint?

How long since last polish? Machine or hand?
    Kevin
    Griots Garage 6in ROP, 3in ROP, pneumatic 3in polisher
    Flex 3401, Porter Cable PC7424 (the old non-XP model).

Post Thanks / Like

Not all waxes bead after washing. Try looking at your car after it's stationary in a rainstorm, you'll change your mind.

On a side note, I would have applied it to bare paint, not topping another carnauba.
    '03 Corvette Z06

Post Thanks / Like

from what ive experienced applying different waxes on top of other waxes that were already there dosent seem to work...at least not for me... what i do is polish the car, with something like po85rd and it removes the old wax and leaves a nice shine, so now that surface is wax free i apply my new wax i am going to put. its what i do and has always worked well for me, hopefully others may chime in and say what may have been the problem.
    Hi !

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=93fox;459253]from what ive experienced applying different waxes on top of other waxes that were already there dosent seem to work...at least not for me... what i do is polish the car, with something like po85rd and it removes the old wax and leaves a nice shine, QUOTE]
    You're also leaving behind major polishing oils with 85rd if you don't remove them before applying an LSP.
    '03 Corvette Z06

Post Thanks / Like

[quote=07 z-oh-6;459255]
    Quote Originally Posted by 93fox View Post
    from what ive experienced applying different waxes on top of other waxes that were already there dosent seem to work...at least not for me... what i do is polish the car, with something like po85rd and it removes the old wax and leaves a nice shine, QUOTE]
    You're also leaving behind major polishing oils with 85rd if you don't remove them before applying an LSP.
    hmm never thought of that... but the wax up to this day has been holding on pretty well. its a tip mike gave me and it worked for me. now i have to keep an eye out and see if the wax is still holding on pretty well.
    Hi !

Post Thanks / Like

I think your problem was not cleaning the paint either chemically or mechanically. Think of waxing a car like repainting on old wooden fence.... you are not just gonna repaint the fence when the previous paint is cracked and peeling if you want the new coat to stick. You are gonna scrape the old paint off first then repaint! Same principal here....the Mothers was probably at the end of its life span. SSII is one of my favorite waxes and I never had any trouble with it. So I would suggest a paintwork cleanser on your next effort! Pinnacle and P21S both offer great paintwork cleansers that work great on a surface that is in good condition such as your is!

McKee's 37 Product Support
    Post Thanks / Like

You can have the most expensive, sought after hand made wax in the world, but if the surface being applied to isn't prepped properly, don't expect great results.

Next time try Pinnacle Paintwork Cleansing Lotion, P21S Paintwork Cleanser or Klasse AIO prior to applying the wax.

For best results, prep is key.

Post Thanks / Like

I would have personally removed the previous wax and started on a fresh finish. Sounds like you applied and removed properly. Sometimes a little sun makes it look deeper and better. Not sure why no beading however ...

Scott

Post Thanks / Like

Yea...those were the same thoughts I've been having. I haven't thrown it away, LOL. I'll do my full spring cleaning/prep and give it another fair try. I know there's a reason...there's no way I had this poor of a performance following what all I've heard from you guys about it.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast