autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Souveran- What am I doing wrong???

Hello,

I am very perplexed as to what I am doing wrong when applying Souveran Paste. I bought this with the intentions of using it in place of another manufactures synthetic product on a black car.

I have been doing my initial testing on my wifes older honda before I take the time to do the entire vette, and just can not seem to get much of any benefit from the Souveran. I have done my research, and literally can not find any negatives about the Souveran,

Here is what I did for this version of my test...

Washed car- then choose 4 panels for the following (Front fender/front door/rear door/rear fender.) I wiped down with Menz top inspection, clayed, rewashed, wiped down with 70% IPA, correction with Menzerna SIP and po85rd via PC7424xp and hydro pads, wiped down with Menzerna top inspection and then IPA, then applied sealant/wax.

Panel 1- Synthetic Sealant
    Panel 2- Nothing
    Panel 3- Synthetic topped with Souveran
    Panel 4- Souveran

The paint correction went without a hitch, and so did the application of the wax and sealant. When the Souveran was applied- it was a WOW..... this stuff is going to be awesome- paint was blacker than ever before....

When products were taken back off- synthetic and hour later, souveran 10 min later, and off course souveran on/off the synthetic side 24hrs later, my results replicate what they did before (but not what everyone else on the net seems to find)

The Results-

Panel 1- Looked awesome
    Panel 2- Looked as good as my finishing skills- which is very good- but of course this was the bare panel....
    Panel 3- Looked identical to panel 1, very nice.
    Panel 4- HERE IS THE SHOCKER- Looked JUST like panel 2!

I could not believe it, and need to figure out what is going on! This is just weird- it looks great going on, and comes off and looks like I did nothing. I had a few other people look at it, and say the same thing. (I left one in on the fact that there was one bare panel- and lone behold- he pics #4!) Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

I really want this to work, but cant seem to get it. I do not care about longevity- heck, my plan was to reapply after each wash- and since it sits inside- a short life is no biggie!

AM I MISSING SOMETHING????

Thanks,
    Nate

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Souveran- What am I doing wrong???

Thats strange. Some may argue if there is even enough benefit to most eyes between different brands/styles of LSP's.

I think there is but some may not.

Maybe it has something to do with the Honda paint, maybe its just not for you? Im not sure...
    Luxury Mobile Auto Detailing
    Pensacola & Orlando

Post Thanks / Like

Unfortunately, I did not leave a bare panel after finishing mine with 85RD, but my impression was that after the sealants, it was worse, and after Fuzion, it was better -- maybe approaching bare 85RD. This is not so different than your impressions.

My observation is maybe this is just how good 85RD is. Of course, you will have to put something on it to protect it. I think the color will also impact the results. IME, sealants have a hard shine that look better on silver, etc., while carnaubas look comparatively better on warm colors.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Yea, I did a spot test on the vette too, but honestly, the paint is pretty darn good already. Maybe I (and the others) just do not see the difference. I know many say it takes a day or two to really see it pop- but some days have passed. Who knows!

At least I found awesome new microfibers from the geek!

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I have literally spent several more hours surfing- and the only thing I can chalk up is that maybe it is too cold? The air temp was about 55, so it was a bit chilly. After seeing some pics from other sites- I think it is ME. I am not giving up on it yet!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by nch209 View Post

When products were taken back off- synthetic and hour later, souveran 10 min later, and off course souveran on/off the synthetic side 24hrs later, my results replicate what they did before (but not what everyone else on the net seems to find)
    Hello Nate and !

It sounds like you did some decent testing here.

Sealants should provide you with the results you expected to see and evidently they did not disappoint. Sealants are basically a synthetic wax however their durability is generally greater than that of Carnauba.

Most sealants should be allowed to cure for 8 to 12 hours before topped with a wax.

The addition of a wax product over a sealant will usually add more depth and naturally a bit more protection.

Your mention "souveran on/off the synthetic side 24hrs later". Do you mean you left the Souveran paste wax on 24 hours before removing it?

Pinnacle Souveran is a wipe on wipe off paste wax.

From the Souveran web page.

1. Apply Souverän™ by hand using a Polyfoam Wax Applicator . Apply a thin, even coat to one panel at a time.
    2. Souverän does not dry to a haze. Once you’ve covered a panel, you can immediately buff using the included Cobra Gold Plush Jr. Microfiber Towel.

Could it be that because it's relatively cold there is still some residual paste / haze left on that panel and more buffing is needed to remove it to make it really shine?

I've used Pinnacle Souveran many times and have never been disappointed with its results and have never applied it then removed it as directed and have it look like nothing was ever applied.

BobbyG - 2004 Millennium Yellow Z06 Corvette

Post Thanks / Like

all i can say is i use souveran paste . and after i apply it ilet it sit for hours. thats when it begins to look its best. right away it doesnt do anything. must wait for sure . leave the car in the sun if u can .
    names tom i live in nj with my wife cindy .and our 3 children. samantha gabriella and little tom...

Post Thanks / Like

I have tried some side by side tests with various products and I found it hard to see much difference on small areas side by side comparisons especially if the paint in great condition. Paint in great condition looks great by itself.

For me, it seems I need to do large areas and then able to judge how light reflects at various angles (curves) and rely based upon my prior memories of other products.
    Al
    The Need to Bead

Post Thanks / Like

i noticed more of a glow the next day actually . i use souveran evertime i enter my truck in a show . its my top wax for that show car deep gloss. love it ..
    names tom i live in nj with my wife cindy .and our 3 children. samantha gabriella and little tom...

Post Thanks / Like

directions say WO WO ... and you let it sit for hours in the sun ..... I wonder if that degrades some of the carnuba?

Any chemists on the forum?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast