autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mike Phillips

Re: Brand New Black Paint.

Quote Originally Posted by Stype4life View Post
    Hey Mike I really do appreciate the response. We are Talking about an 00 S-Type Jaguar. Painted Black. It will be coming out the shop this Weekend. Not to sure what hes going to do but I know for certain theres no way he can just paint over it. He has to strip the Trunk, Hood, and misc parts of the sides of the car. I will be contacting him to insure he will cut and polish the paint whatever that is.
    Cool car...

Some shops sand and buff paint, some shops don't, depends on how good the painter is and how well dialed-in his paint system and booth are. Some don't sand and buff because it's not part of the package.

You can see a little sanding and buffing in this video...

Optimum Hyper Compound

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MhkBAhXDk8Q]YouTube - Optimum Hyper Compound at Autogeek's Show Car Garage![/video]

But I wont put it pass him if he cuts as many corners as possible painting and shooting as many locations possible on the car. What are you recommending if this is what he does?
    Wetsanding, cutting and buffing are a good thing if it's done correctly and you're looking for a show car finish, if it's done incorrectly it leaves swirls in the paint. If a person doesn't care about a show car finish then it's a non-issue.

I deal with a lot of "Serious Enthusiasts" always looking for a show car finish and people that just want to wash and wax their car, don't know what a person wants though unless they tell us...

Most people don't know what to ask for when getting a custom paint job so I'm writing and article on this topic.

[SIZE=1]So what are the difference between these products?
    Probably the thing to do will be to wait until you get your car back and then pull it into direct, overhead sun and inspect the finish...

Hope it looks like this,
    The sun shots...

and not this,

The picture with the swirls is the horror story that is the norm for buffing work from body shops... a lot of times the painter is "Great", but it's the guy that does the sanding and buffing that makes or breaks the paint job.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Mike got my car back there are no Holograms but there are swirl Marks.
    Since we have Swirls Im thinking of getting the Souvern Wolfgang Kit. Looks like im going to have to do alot of work on this one unfortunately

Mike Phillips

Hey Mike got my car back there are no Holograms but there are swirl Marks.
    Since we have Swirls Im thinking of getting the Souvern Wolfgang Kit. Looks like im going to have to do alot of work on this one unfortunately
    So there are now rotary buffer induced "Buffer Swirls" or Holograms" but there are swirl scratches from being washed or wiped?

Tracers Tracers - RIDS - Pigtails - Cobweb Swirls - Rotary Buffer Swirls - Holograms - Water Spots - Bird Drooping Etchings - Micro-Marring

Rotary Buffer Swirls also called Holograms or Buffer Trails
    Rotary Buffer Swirls leave a pattern that mimics the direction or path the rotary buffer was moved over the paint.

Cropped out section focusing on the Zig-Zag pattern of Buffer Swirls

Cobweb Swirls also called Spiderweb Swirls
    Cobweb swirls also called Spider Web swirls appear to be in a round pattern like a spider web when a bright point of light is placed onto a panel. The scratches are not actually in circles but all kinds of random directions, you see a circular effect because they random scratches reflect or bounce light back at the point of light.

Regardless, you can remove most swirls using a DA Polisher like the PC 7424XP with 5.5" foam buffing pads.

The Wolfgang Twins are easy to use and guarantee haze free, swirl-free results...

Call our 1-800-869-3011 number and they can make sure you get everything you need to do the job right the first time.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12