autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Any c5 owners step in.

Hi There:
    I have a 01 t/red corvette coupe. Not my dd. 16k on the clock. Really nice glossy paint no scratches or dings,garage kept never in bad weather. I want to remove the swirl marks caused by hand washing over the years.These swirl or halo marks are really noticeable in the sunlight.
    I plan on using these pinnacle products with my p/c 7424. Advanced swirl remover,(orange pad) advanced finish polish(white pad) then sealing with a mequiars cleaner wax.(blue or white pad)
    I just got this p/c 7424. I used it once on my 05 ranger.I clayed the entire truck as the paint felt like you were running your fingers over fine sand paper. These bubbles were all over the paint.Now it is smooth as glass & protected by meguiars cleaner wax. My questions:Are the steps above the proper steps to proceed on my vette?Is the advanced s/r a medium cut? Is the f/polish the fine cut? If the advanced s/r is a medium cut would you use a fine cut s/r instead of the medium cut?I want to remove these swirls with the least amount of abrasive. What is the white foam pad that came with the p/c 7424 used for?
    Thanks for any advice.
    robsc5vette
    Last edited by robsc5vette; 12-18-2008 at 03:17 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Any c5 owners step in.

I would use the same steps. Wash, clay, polish, lsp. The white pad with the pc is to rough to use on a vehicle. I would step up to the Menzerna polishes if possible. The Pinnacle twins are nice but just don't match the results Menzerna will provide for you. You want to start off with the lesser cut polish to see if that takes care of the swirls/scratches, if not you have to move up to the more aggressive polish. How indepth do you want to go with this. I would also suggest the Pinnacle shizzling shine kit.

Post Thanks / Like

Be prepared for tough polishing. Vette clear coat is thick and tough, doable with a PC but not easy. Rotary is a lot better.
    The real WyStang:

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ASPHALT ROCKET View Post
    I would use the same steps. Wash, clay, polish, lsp. The white pad with the pc is to rough to use on a vehicle. I would step up to the Menzerna polishes if possible. The Pinnacle twins are nice but just don't match the results Menzerna will provide for you. You want to start off with the lesser cut polish to see if that takes care of the swirls/scratches, if not you have to move up to the more aggressive polish. How indepth do you want to go with this. I would also suggest the Pinnacle shizzling shine kit.
    Vision Detailing
    Richmond,KY.40475
    859-623-4435

Post Thanks / Like

As a former C5 owner I too suggest the Menzerna polishes as possible. It will still take some time and patience. When funds allow move to a Flex polisher for faster more effective results.

wash --- clay --- polish --- protect

Post Thanks / Like

As said before, go with the SIP/Nano combo to help with your hard clear coat and you will be good as gold. And don't worry about removing too much clear with the pc. If the car has never been polished before you can polish with the pc many times before you ever need to worry about clear coat thickness.

Post Thanks / Like

Another vote for SIP/Nano! If that doesn't do the trick, Meguiar's #105 followed by Nano also works very well on the more stubborn stuff.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Any c5 owners with scratches?

Hi There:
    Today I Detailed my hood using the p/c on speed 6 after spreading the product on speed 3 trying to get rid of the fine scratches.I started with # 9 Mequiars fine cut swirl remover & then the pinnacle advanced s/ remover(medium cut) & then pinnacle advanced polish.I did the whole hood area twice.No change.I went to a local paint shop(napa store) & bought some mirror glaze#4 heavy cut cleaner, pinnacle s/remover & the polish.Tried those items twice & still no change. Scratches are still there & they are not into the c/coat.They should come out fairly easy but did not.
    Any ideals on which menzerna or mequiars products to buy? Is a rotary type polisher the way to go.Which one do you recommend? Is the flex a rotary?
    Signed tired & not too happy.
    robsc5vette
    Last edited by robsc5vette; 12-19-2008 at 09:36 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

If the swirls are that bad get yourself some Meguiars m105, Menzerna sip and 106ff or fa.

Post Thanks / Like

what size pads and backing plate are you using on the PC, I think I missed that ???

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast