autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Super Member antti@561detailing's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy1970 View Post
    Mike,
    How many man hours did the project take, would you say? Also looks likes all the work went into above the water line. Any tips for tackling a project that needs help below the water line?
    We had about 15 guys and it took 4 hours I believe Tim mentioned it somewhere...

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk
    561 Car Detailing Gtechniq Accredited Detailer

Post Thanks / Like

Re: How to wetsand, cut and buff a gel-coat boat

Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy1970 View Post
    Mike,
    How many man hours did the project take, would you say? Also looks likes all the work went into above the water line. Any tips for tackling a project that needs help below the water line?
    My neighbor and friend that restores boats told me he would not touch the bottom but his worker would for two grand on a 31 footer including paint.The problem is how you secure the boat after you pull it off of the trailer to do the work.Big boat yards have ways of doing it but small yards generally dont.
    "Chrome wheeled, fuel injected and steppin' out over the line"

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Znig22 View Post

This looks great Mike, You and the guys nailed it!

Thanks for sharing the knowledge and products with us all.

No problemo... this is what I do... take things that are dull and neglected and show others how to make them shiny again. It's a fun job and my passion as well as a LOT of work!

Quote Originally Posted by David@LakeCountry View Post

Looks fantastic! Oxidation removal on boats is a lot of work!

Thanks David. Lake Country pads were a huge part of the success behind this project.

Just to note, for our next boat detailing project both you and Eric are always welcome to join in the fun. I'll safe you guys a couple of rotary buffers with your names on them.

Post Thanks / Like

Wow - great turnaround!
    Bates Detailing
    Auto * RV * Bus * Boat * Aircraft * UFOs
    http://www.batesdetailing.com

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Bates Detailing View Post
    Wow - great turnaround!

Thanks Anthony.

It was a ton of work but you should see how hard the guys that attend these projects work, really hard.

They treat each project as though it were their own.

It's really amazing to be quite honest.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    Thanks Anthony.

It was a ton of work but you should see how hard the guys that attend these projects work, really hard.

They treat each project as though it were their own.

It's really amazing to be quite honest.

Yeah Mike - I bet it was tons of work! Myself and 2 other guys will put 60 man hours in a boat no problem If you could please send me those 15 individuals that helped with this ship - we will make Middle Tn be one of those places that is seen from space cause of the incredible shine lol! Wish I had the resources available to yourself - you definitely have the detailer dream job! And you deserve it btw - so passionate about this industry! Love reading and viewing your experiences Mike
    Bates Detailing
    Auto * RV * Bus * Boat * Aircraft * UFOs
    http://www.batesdetailing.com

Mike Phillips

Yeah Mike - I bet it was tons of work! Myself and 2 other guys will put 60 man hours in a boat no problem.

If you could please send me those 15 individuals that helped with this ship - we will make Middle Tn be one of those places that is seen from space cause of the incredible shine lol!
    Nah... then I'd have to do the project all by myself. Nothing wrong with that as I think of it as a form of exercise but having a team of guys passionate about creating professional results is too nice.

Wish I had the resources available to yourself - you definitely have the detailer dream job! And you deserve it btw - so passionate about this industry!

Love reading and viewing your experiences Mike

Thank you for the kind words Anthony, they are very much appreciated. And passion is the key word. I found my passion for working on cars and teaching others how to work on cars and have poured myself into it all my life now.

I forget how many cars, trucks, boats, etc I've buffed out in my life, but a lot.

I also forget how many people I've taught to machine polish paint, be it in a formal class, a casual get together or in some guys garage, but a lot.

I still have a few years to go before I retire so I expect I'll still be buffing out more cars and teaching more people how to buff out cars.

It was a real honor to go to Argentina to teach our 2-day detailing boot camp class to the guys at the far end of South America, that was a pinnacle moment in my careerer.

Autogeek's Detailing Class in South America!

And there's more to come...

Post Thanks / Like

The cool factor is on these Thursday "EXTREME MAKEOVERS" is we dont care what we work on...cars, boats (not just the 120 in. cars, the ones that float in water) or bicycles.Mike tells us what to do and all of us work like a well oiled machine to "MAKE IT SHINE." Thanks for the opportunity Mike.
    "Chrome wheeled, fuel injected and steppin' out over the line"

Post Thanks / Like
    Ok guys, I bought a used bass boat last year, and to say the least she was oxidized. I got a shine to come back to her, but I have a weird issue. If you look in the picture, in front of and around the cleat is the color the boat SHOULD be, everywhere else is still reflective, but discolored. Is there any thing to do with this? I've used my makita and wool with meguiars one step ultra marine and still can't make a dent<br/>

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Loner5777j View Post

I have a weird issue. If you look in the picture, in front of and around the cleat is the color the boat SHOULD be, everywhere else is still reflective, but discolored.

I posted a follow-up to my first reply to your thread here,

Help on an 1993 astro s18b - Marine 31 Forum

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast