autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567
    Mike Phillips

Re: 1959 Chevrolet El Camino - Extreme Makeover - Modeled by Christina

Quote Originally Posted by jwork View Post

As a friend of Al's I know he is excited about how his car turned out. Al, I need to get down there and see it for myself,

Congratulations buddy it is beautiful.
    It did come out very beautiful... too bad Al sold it to a gentleman in Australia... it's long gone and to replace it Al bought a brand new Camaro. We did an extreme makeover to it already too...

Beauty Shots from the 2012 Camaro Live Broadcast

Short Before Video
    Here's the before video I took after the Camaro arrived...

Brand New Camaro completely filled with swirls and scratches

The complete recorded live broadcast video

Before Shots

I didn't get a lot or very good camera shots to show the before condition but here's a few....

This shot is just to frame up the below shot which I cropped out of this shot. The thing to remember is the entire finish, both horizontal panels and vertical panels were completely trashed with scratches.

This is the passenger side front corner of the hood...

Dull, hazy, filled with swirls and scratches and the clearcoat was no where near clear.

And this is off a BRAND NEW CAR?
    If you watched the Live Broadcast, you saw me clay most, not all but most of JUST the hood. Keep in mind this Camaro has only 2000 miles on it since purchased new. Look at all the brown crud that came off the hood using Blackfire Detailing Clay.

Where has this car been since rolling out of the assembly plant?
    Anyone want to guess what the brown stuff is?

And here's the beauty shots...

This is Ivan, the Autogeek company logo character...

Quote Originally Posted by Waxing Nostalgic View Post

Great job! Beautiful truck!

On behalf of the team that did the amazing transformation to this rare and now beautiful 1959 El Camino I say thank you...

My Thursday night classes attracts a high caliber of local car enthusiasts that conduct themselves professionally both online and offline...

Quote Originally Posted by sparklingwater View Post

Wow i don't know what is prettier the car or tina....(obviously the car lol j/k)

Good work on the car. Everything looks clear and nice. I was actually impressed with how shiny the emblems and letters were? Did you buff those as well?
    Some emblems we removed as that's the best way to buff the paint out around them and behind them, the rest we just did our best.

Quote Originally Posted by sparklingwater View Post

Did Tina actually inspect the whole car for swirls ? Thanks again!
    No, that's all just for fun. The point being is that there are no swirls after we're done.

Mike Phillips

***Bump***

Lots of new members have never had a chance to see this makeover and might not know how to find the thread.

Sad to say this car is now living in Australia...

Post Thanks / Like

Mike, so what is the brown stuff that just came off of this brand new car? Is it anything different besides the usual contamination?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    Where has this car been since rolling out of the assembly plant?
    Anyone want to guess what the brown stuff is?

Ryan

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by rouxster View Post

Mike, so what is the brown stuff that just came off of this brand new car?

Is it anything different besides the usual contamination?

This isn't the exact or specific answer for the "substance" that made up the contaminants but here's the best I can do....

The brown stuf that we removed off the paint was whatever was in the AIR over the car where it was parked.

Make sense?

That's what it always comes down to? What's in the air where you park your car.

There was yellow paint in the air where this old Chevy was parked...

A $4.00 Plastic Drop Cloth could have prevented this...

When I felt the paint on this truck with my bare hand and using the baggie test, I could tell right away it needed some help...

Here's some freshly kneaded clay ready to go.

I'm ONLY going to clay the first half of the driver's side of the hood.

Here's what I pulled off...

On a white microfiber towel for or contrast eh...

And it's on the paint, the glass, the wood, everywhere. I recently bought a 2 mil drop cloth at Lowe's and I remember it costing me around $4.00

Post Thanks / Like

Wow...thanks. I'm about to clay my wife's car for the first time 8 years (Yikes!) and continue on with my new GG polisher\Wolfgang swirl remover combo. I'm sure her clay will come out black...lol

On a more personal note, After seeing your pictures of the Elcamino, I feel much better about being an AG customer. I'm also an amputee (BK) from being stupid in college about 20 years ago. You put a lot of hard work into your business and it goes to show that you don't let your situation hold you back like I have seen (and I'm sure you have seen also) so many times.

Keep up the hard work and because of your great company, I will try to also...lol
    Ryan

Mike Phillips

Wow...thanks. I'm about to clay my wife's car for the first time 8 years (Yikes!) and continue on with my new GG polisherWolfgang swirl remover combo. I'm sure her clay will come out black...lol
    I'm confident you're going to be successful....

On a more personal note, After seeing your pictures of the Elcamino, I feel much better about being an AG customer.

I'm also an amputee (BK) from being stupid in college about 20 years ago.

You put a lot of hard work into your business and it goes to show that you don't let your situation hold you back like I have seen (and I'm sure you have seen also) so many times.

Keep up the hard work and because of your great company, I will try to also...lol

Thank you for the kind words.

I lost my leg in 1986 and have never let it slow me down...

For anyone reading this thread that might not know how I lost my leg, I did it in a boating accident with my own boat, a 1970 Sanger Flat Bottom Drag Boat that I owned for 20 years, about 14 of those years after it ran over me...

It wasn't the boats fault and I have a very strong passion for fast V-drive, big block Chevy Drag Boats... so I kept it...

This is one of the few shots I have of me racing the boat on Dexter Reservoir, in Eugene, Oregon... the fastest time I ever clocked was 111 miles per hour in 12 seconds in the 1/4 mile. The guy I bought the boat from ran 120+ in 9 seconds on the water... that's FAST!

I hope that none of you reading this ever loses any body part and if you read enough of my posts I always encourage everyone to work safe, including wearing Safety Glasses when using a power tool because you certainly don't want to lose an eye.

Pictures & Comments from September 19th Detailing 102 Class

It's important to wear safety glasses anytime you're operating power tools...

(My little sister is blind, so I know a little bit about not being able to see)

And again, thank you for the recognition for hard work, it's not always easy but I never give up...

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567