autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Wetsanding and Rotary Buffer Pictures from Autogeek's Detailing Boot Camp Classes

Quote Originally Posted by Hoytman View Post
    2. Would you recommend those solo-cut pads/M105 combo for factory paint in this horrible condition... http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...ailblazer.html .

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post

This post is from months ago? Have you buffed out the paint yet?

IF not, then "yes" the M105/Wool Pad/Rotary Buffer approach would make quick work of removing the damaged paint and restoring clarity to the clear coat.

Just to note though, you could tackle this multiple ways... but the rotary buffer route would be the fastest as far as the correction step goes.

No, I haven't started the "Trashed Trailblazer" yet. I've been listening to you...and felt that I needed a good camera before starting the project so I could take good before and after photo's of my work. I posted on my link about the specifics of the camera I bought.

Well, I've used the w4000 pads/M67 combo on a boat with success. It was not the first time using a similar tool, as I've been around industrial grinders for a long time, but it was my first time using a rotary and wool set-up on a detailing project like my dad's boat. A 25' Baha Cruiser that I buffed out and it looked great. I really didn't have any trouble either, just kept it moving, and I kept the rpm's low. Using a tape line to tell where I was at and to make it clear to my dad the improvement being made.

Now I'm wondering that if I attempt to use the rotary on this trailblazer, on black paint, for the first time that maybe I should get the solo-cut wool pads to use. I'm not afraid to attempt using the wool, but at the same time I want to be cautious with how I approach this. Any tips are appreciated.Perhaps even going another route on this first black detail. I have a G110V2, some Meg's 6.5" pads (all 3) and a bunch of various B&S 5" foam pads, which may be a good route as well. I will be using a lot of tape either route I choose.

I could swear those look like egg cartons, but perhaps I need glasses. LOL! They're visible in a few of the other photo's as well, on the same cart. Is someone playing a prank on you, maybe?

Bill

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Wetsanding and Rotary Buffer Pictures from Autogeek's Detailing Boot Camp Classes

I could swear those look like egg cartons, but perhaps I need glasses. LOL! They're visible in a few of the other photo's as well, on the same cart. Is someone playing a prank on you, maybe?...
    Aren't those water bottles? (those hard workers sure need them!)

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by RMM View Post
    Aren't those water bottles? (those hard workers sure need them!)

Yes, those are extra water bottles.

During our classes I try to get a variety of soda pop, both regular and sugar free, plus a fun flavor like Orange or Grape plus water bottles.

Something for everyone... did the same thing for years for my classes at Meguiar's in Irvine, California...

Post Thanks / Like

I must really need to make an appointment with the eye doctor huh? LOL! Those "egg cartons" weren't even sitting on that cart as I thought they were. I feel about as tall as Gimini Crickey lol.

Here's a better picture next to the cooler that I missed that should have told me what they were. I couldn't figure out why Mike had "eggs" in his class. Geez...LOL!

Bill

Mike Phillips

I couldn't figure out why Mike had "eggs" in his class. Geez...LOL!

Hmmm.... we could try to "duplicate" an Egg Imprint and then try to remove the defects or fill them in with touch up paint. I have an article on that...

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips

Imprint Chips - Chips in the paint caused by a thrown egg

When an egg is thrown at a car's painted panel, the force of the shell impacting and breaking up against the paint leaves a very specific type of chip pattern I call Imprint Chips.

Imprint Chips

Fixing Imprint Chips is very difficult because there are usually lots of them in varying sizes including very tiny chipped areas.

We'll just need someone to volunteer their car so the students can throw eggs at it...

Mike Phillips

The above pictures were taken on Sunday but on Saturday we cover a very wide range of topics and the class is completey hands-on...

Lots of hands-on time both days... here' we're taping off plastic trim before machine polishing glass because as everyone found out it can be a little messy...

Claying with Glass Clay from the Diamondite® Glasswork System Kit for Machine Application

Jeff claying glass, Jeff is primarily a Motorcycle Detailing and his clients include Billy Joel and Ricky Martin

Stephan claying the driver's side windshield. Stephan works mostly on classic car and muscle cars.

Here I'm using a rotary buffer backing plate with the numbers of a clock face on it to help teach how to use the The 10 @ 10 technique for picking up a bead of product with a rotary buffer when machine polishing glass using a rotary buffer.

Jeff using the Flex PE14 to machine polish glass...

Sean machine polishing glass...

Steve machine polishing glass...

Donovan machine polishing glass...

Our Detailing Book Camp classes are fast-paced and very busy all day, both days...

Tony machine polishing glass...

Don machine polishing glass...

Tyler machine polishing glass...

Nick providing a little hands-on training with Tim...

More to come...

Mike Phillips

Besides how to wetsand, cut and buff paint we also go over a number of other popular topics like machine polishing glass...

Lots of hands-on time both days... here' we're taping off plastic trim before machine polishing glass because as everyone found out it can be a little messy...

Claying with Glass Clay from the Diamondite® Glasswork System Kit for Machine Application

Jeff claying glass, Jeff is primarily a Motorcycle Detailing and his clients include Billy Joel and Ricky Martin

Stephan claying the driver's side windshield. Stephan works mostly on classic car and muscle cars.

Here I'm using a rotary buffer backing plate with the numbers of a clock face on it to help teach how to use the The 10 @ 10 technique for picking up a bead of product with a rotary buffer when machine polishing glass using a rotary buffer.

Jeff using the Flex PE14 to machine polish glass...

Sean machine polishing glass...

Steve machine polishing glass...

Donovan machine polishing glass...

Our Detailing Book Camp classes are fast-paced and very busy all day, both days...

Tony machine polishing glass...

Don machine polishing glass...

Tyler machine polishing glass...

Nick providing a little hands-on training with Tim...

Mike Phillips

And headlight restoration by hand or machine and here's where the Griot's Garage 3" Mini Polisher really comes in handy...

Next up is headlight polishing, for this we used the Meguiar's Heavy Duty Headlight Correction System with a twist, I demonstrated the Meguiar's backing pad for the 3" Sanding Discs but then shared how they also fit on the Griot's Garage 3" Mini Polisher and how working by machine takes all the work out of the project.

Wetting the face of the #1000 Unigrit Sanding Disc with plain water...

Hand sanding... (elbow grease)

Machine sanding (no elbow grease)

Everyone pretty much just wanted to work by machine... here's Jeff machine sanding a headlight lens...

Here's Stephan misting some water onto the face of the sanding disc...

Stephan machine sanding a headlight lens

Don machine sanding...

Products used...

3" Griot's Garage Mini Orbital Polisher
    Be sure to get the 3" Foam Interface Pad if you're planning on using the 3" Griot's Garage Mini Polisher for sanding headlights for dampsanding paint.

Meguiars Unigrit 3 Inch Foam Interface Pad

Meguiars Heavy Duty Two Step Headlight Restoration Kit - G3000

I also demonstrated the Flitz ScuffPads

The Flitz Mini ScuffPad is made of resin-coated non-woven abrasives in cut fiber strands. The flexible, durable sanding pads are perfect for contoured surfaces. Use the pads wet or dry.

The Flitz Mini ScuffPad is the equivalent to 1500 grit sandpaper. On scratched headlight lenses, plastics, wood, composite, and metal, the Mini ScuffPad sands down the scratched surface to create a more uniform surface. When you begin polishing, the entire surface is being leveled at the same rate. The results are uniform and smooth.

Flitz Mini ScuffPads 6 Pack, 1500 Grit

Mike Phillips

After machine polishing the glass, machine polishing the headlights and cleaning and dressing the engine compartment it was time to wash the car and i the process remove any of the polishing residues left behind from the above 3 steps...

First we used the Autogeek Foam Gun with the Detailers Xtreme Foam Formula Auto Shampoo

Here's Tony foaming the rental car...

Here's Tyler having fun making foam!

Using the Daytona Speedmaster Wheel Brush to get behind the spokes...

Tyler checking out the Daytona Speedmaster Wheel Brush...

Steve using a Wheel Woolie...

Tony has removed the Autogeek Foam Gun off the spray nozzle to rinse off the car...

Everybody stands back to avoid being sprayed...

After washing and rinsing we sprayed Iron-X over all the body panels and wheels, then re-washed and rinsed to remove any iron particles loosened and dissolved by the Iron-X.

Products

Detailer's Xtreme Foam Formula Auto Shampoo

Autogeek Half Gallon Foam Gun

CarPro Iron X Iron Remover 500 ml.

Chemical Guys Citrus Wash & Gloss 16 oz.

Grit Guard® Dual Bucket Washing System - RED

Sheepskin Wash Mitt

Supreme Micro-Chenille Wash Mitt

Daytona Speed Master Wheel Brush Special

Daytona Speed Master Wheel Brush

Wheel Woollies 3-Piece Kit

Montana Original Boar’s Hair Car Wash Brush PLUS & Telescopic Handle

Mike Phillips

After the car is washed and dry, time to go over interior detailing including dry extraction, machine brushing, Tornadors and extractors...

Of course you can use a hand brush but you can also machine brush using DA Polishers and also the Cyclo Polisher...

After machine brushing to loosen dirt, we then did dry extraction using a Shop-Vac, here's Stephan removing loose dirt out of the weave of the fabric before we introduce any liquid cleaners.

Here's Tyler joining in the fun...

Here's Jon using the Tornador Black Car Cleaning Gun to clean vinyl

Here's Mackay using the Tornador Black Car Cleaning Gun...

After we brushed and vacuumed the upholstery to remove all loose dirt then we sprayed the fabric down with the Detailer's Carpet & Upholstery Cleaner.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12