autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Mustang/Takata Air Bag Recall

Has anyone gotten the recall repair for the Takata air bags? My Mustang is listed as one of the recalls, however the part/s are on backorder and there is no timetable due to the amount of vehicles affected. I believe at least 3 million so far. I believe Toyota is advising owners not to use the vehicle until fixed. Anyone else here affected? Curious if you've gotten it fixed.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Mustang/Takata Air Bag Recall

Friend of mine had his new to him but used 2015 recalled and long story had the dealer buy it back and sell him a 2016 that was either fixed or used a different one. He's in heaven outside the issues with the engineering of the rear window on his 2016 convertible. In the shop again for that now!
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pdqgp View Post
    Friend of mine had his new to him but used 2015 recalled and long story had the dealer buy it back and sell him a 2016 that was either fixed or used a different one. He's in heaven outside the issues with the engineering of the rear window on his 2016 convertible. In the shop again for that now!
    Nice that he was able to take it back and get a newer one!

I'm surprised nobody else here is dealing with it.

Post Thanks / Like

There are two recalls on the mustang,
    1.) Dec 2014 - 14B09
    2.) May 2015 - 15S21

The 14B09 part is an interim part that Ford released to replace the inflator. Then they recalled that with the 15S21, which at present has no time to delivery.

I also have a Honda Fit which is also has the same takata airbag recall. In this case, Honda is taking it a bit more seriously and has offered/ issued loaner/rentals (through Enterprise on 30 day consecutive contracts) to some of it's 6 million customers affected. At present I have one of the rentals courtesy of Honda.

To my knowledge, and my local dealerships knowledge, Ford has not offered this, and the service manager I spoke to was shocked Honda was offering long term rentals.

If your mustang, like mine, is purely a garage queen and not a daily driver, risk is somewhat mitigated... If it's your DD, risk inherently increases, especially in regions affected by heat & humidity (as was found to be the RCA). I would take it fairly seriously. The stories of the victims who survived are devastating.

There has been lots of talk on Mustang / Honda forums about depreciated values of cars.
    Dealerships and used car dealers have been instructed NOT to sell vehicles under this recall. Honda has even offered a trade-in depreciation incentive for those that want to trade their vehicles for new Honda's.
    If you were looking to sell or trade your Mustang, now would be a bad time. After the parts are replaced I don't see the recall as a depreciation factor if proof is provided that it's been remediated.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah I've read about the humidity playing a part in it as well. The first 2 years the car was with me in Wisconsin where it was terrible with humidity, sinc 2014 I've been in Arizona where it's not as bad. I'm thinking I'm going to push pretty hard for a loaner/rental. As you mentioned some of the stories I've read about are pretty scary and sad.

What's truly sad is the manufacturer knew of the defect and had after hours meetings with their production team to figure out a fix, and ordered the records to be destroyed. Its going to get very ugly.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by paul_g View Post
    After the parts are replaced I don't see the recall as a depreciation factor if proof is provided that it's been remediated.
    Maybe there are multiple issues, but I read that the problem, which I originally understood to be a corrosion issue (hence the humidity concern) is not a corrosion issue at all, it's that the propellant slug absorbs moisture and expands and pops the spot weld holding it in place. It then flies out (the steel retainer) when it fires.

The fix is to put a dessicant disc in with the propellant...the problem is the dessicant has a limited absorbtion capability, and therefore, the new gas generator assembly has a limited (I think it was 5 or 6 year) life.

The long term solution is to change to a different propellant, but I don't think they have that solution yet. I'm sure it's all they can do to keep up with the demand for the interim parts---imagine trying to manufacture 10 or more years worth of replacement parts in a year.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by StangFan25 View Post
    Has anyone gotten the recall repair for the Takata air bags? My Mustang is listed as one of the recalls, however the part/s are on backorder and there is no timetable due to the amount of vehicles affected. I believe at least 3 million so far. I believe Toyota is advising owners not to use the vehicle until fixed. Anyone else here affected? Curious if you've gotten it fixed.
    I talked to my dealer at Ford and they have no solution...yet. It looks like it's going to be a while as Takata really messed up. They supplied airbags to quite a few popular brand cars.

As what my dealer said and from reading on the problem...your airbag will work, however, there may be some metal shards that could do damage to you. Now this applies to some models and I do not know if it is in mine...who knows. But from what I was told by the dealer is to drive your ride like the recall never existed.

When the replacement product is in we will be notified. IMO I wouldn't worry too much about this. That is me. As for not driving your car I think it's the car manufacturers way of covering there asses in case something does go wrong.

I am thinking it will be at least 6 months to a year before anything is resolved for us Mustang guys....so what I am doing is drive my normal way and not sweating about this issue.

BTW, your Mustang Rocks!!
    CJ
    2013 Mustang GT w/Track Pack 6-Speed Manual
    Save the Manual!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kamakaz1961 View Post
    "SNIPPED" ......
    BTW, your Mustang Rocks!!
    Thank you, sir! I wanted a black one like yours, but wasn't available. Had buyers remorse for a while, but I'm super happy with it now.