autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Lawn Care (Sod)

Post Thanks / Like

Question Lawn Care (Sod)

Not sure if anyone here is in the landscaping/mowing business or stayed in a Holiday Inn Express last night and can inform me a little.

We built a house recently and the centipede sod was laid down in December, so naturally it has been dormant for the most part after being laid down and is just now starting to come to life. The rest of the neighborhood with established grass is of course is filling in nicely.

I have been watering the sod every night/morning since it has gotten warmer, and have toyed with the idea of putting down a Weed and Feed product.

I really don’t want to run the chance of harming the sod that is just now starting to grow, so should I just put down a fertilizer? In the grand scheme of things the weeds aren’t bad, and I can just tackle them hard once the sod is established.

The Weed and Feed I was looking at was Hi-Yield Weed and Feed – 15-0-10. This one was actually referred by a co-worker that has used it on his centipede lawn with good results. It is a little tamed down from the Scotts I was looking at at Lowes, and I have read a few reviews of the Scotts burning centipede grasses, which I don’t want to risk.

So what are your thoughts? In my situation, should I Weed and Feed or just Fertilize? And what product do you recommend either way?

Thanks!

PS: I am in South GA if that helps anything.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Lawn Care (Sod)

Fresh sod is finicky, to err on the side of caution I would use just the fertilizer until the sod is well established. Also, when you mow it, raise the deck on your mower, too low will burn the sod

Post Thanks / Like

I would hit it with some starter fertilizer now and spot treat any weeds. This will help insure good root development and growth. Next go-round in 4-6 weeks hit it with regular fertilizer. Enjoy the new grass!
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like a plan!

A couple of bags of this for the sod? Scotts 5000-sq ft Turf Builder Southern All Season Lawn Fertilizer

Have roughly 8100 square feet of sod in the front yard.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NoleFan View Post
    Not sure if anyone here is in the landscaping/mowing business or stayed in a Holiday Inn Express last night and can inform me a little.

We built a house recently and the centipede sod was laid down in December, so naturally it has been dormant for the most part after being laid down and is just now starting to come to life. The rest of the neighborhood with established grass is of course is filling in nicely.

I have been watering the sod every night/morning since it has gotten warmer, and have toyed with the idea of putting down a Weed and Feed product.

I really don’t want to run the chance of harming the sod that is just now starting to grow, so should I just put down a fertilizer? In the grand scheme of things the weeds aren’t bad, and I can just tackle them hard once the sod is established.

The Weed and Feed I was looking at was Hi-Yield Weed and Feed – 15-0-10. This one was actually referred by a co-worker that has used it on his centipede lawn with good results. It is a little tamed down from the Scotts I was looking at at Lowes, and I have read a few reviews of the Scotts burning centipede grasses, which I don’t want to risk.

So what are your thoughts? In my situation, should I Weed and Feed or just Fertilize? And what product do you recommend either way?

Thanks!

PS: I am in South GA if that helps anything.
    Im a grass nut,probably more ocd then cars sometimes.although I don't have centipede grass I have floratam and watering at night causes fungus.I tried the whole Home Depot route on weed killers and fertilizers with zero results and expensive.I would call true green for instant gratification on the appropriate treatment and less expensive as if you were to do it.cant go wrong at 50.00 every 3 months and that includes your shrubs as well.I had 2 pros come out to tell me it was fungus,and wanted 200 dollars.came home true green has a special for 29.95 to come evaluate grass and treat it.They put down a product called potash then 2 weeks later liquid nitrogen.Grass is so much better and you will see results quickly,and if there is a promblem you can text your route serviceman anytime with prompt return call from them.I suggest calling them Home Depot employees no nothing about your grass promblem.

Post Thanks / Like

Will look into TruGreen, but I know their treatments for my in-laws yard is a lot more than $50 every 3 months. I have the timer set to start the stages in the irrigation at 5am. When should I be watering to avoid fungus?

Post Thanks / Like

Hey I am not an expert by any means, and up here in Michigan I got Kentucky Blue grass. So different type of grass and climate. However I take great pride in my lawn. Like Pdqgp said, I would use starter fertilizer to promote root growth. Stay away from Weed and Feed for now. What you want is Phosphorus, the middle number of the 0-0-0. If I were you I would use the starter fert. now, try to plan in out to not put down anything in the summer, too hot especially in the south. Then maybe try to attack some of the weed growth in the fall, or next spring. A good plush dense lawn will crowd the weeds out.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GSKR View Post
    Im a grass nut,probably more ocd then cars sometimes.although I don't have centipede grass I have floratam and watering at night causes fungus.I tried the whole Home Depot route on weed killers and fertilizers with zero results and expensive.I would call true green for instant gratification on the appropriate treatment and less expensive as if you were to do it.cant go wrong at 50.00 every 3 months and that includes your shrubs as well.I had 2 pros come out to tell me it was fungus,and wanted 200 dollars.came home true green has a special for 29.95 to come evaluate grass and treat it.They put down a product called potash then 2 weeks later liquid nitrogen.Grass is so much better and you will see results quickly,and if there is a promblem you can text your route serviceman anytime with prompt return call from them.I suggest calling them Home Depot employees no nothing about your grass promblem.
    I used to have my own lawn maintenance business many years ago and I also like to keep my lawn looking good.

I don't know too much about Centipede because we mostly have St. Augustine grass here in South FL. There are different varities of St. Augustine, and Floratam is very popular down here.

I too have tried products from HD with varied results. We just recently started using the services of TruGreen, they have products that are more effective than what you can get at home improvement centers, pro grade products, and they know their stuff.

I would also recommend TruGreen. They will work with your budget.

Post Thanks / Like

Go to a local nursery that sells sod. To early to put anything down now. Ask them what to put down and when. Ive used Scotts twice in the last 20 years and every time I get more weeds then before I started. For me and the 2 yards I have had with centipede, Ferti-lome has been top notch.
    As for bugs and mole crickets, Tel-star is what you want, golf courses use the same stuff but renamed for commercial use. My experience anyway

Post Thanks / Like

I should have known these OCD car cleaning geeks would know their lush green lawn stuff

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast