autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Lawn Care (Sod)

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Lawn Care (Sod)

Quote Originally Posted by NoleFan View Post
    I just saw the Milorganite, looks like good stuff. I may go that route and just work on my watering.

I like the tuna can idea. I may be watering too frequently and not long enough, as I have it set for roughly 15 minutes each zone every morning.
    junk also,I've bought every kind of grass product there is.Just hire a pro such as true green totally different stronger long lasting product.The guys around town who claim there grass experts use inferior products.

Post Thanks / Like

If you are going to go the DIY route, I've had better results using Lesco.

I've had better results using a separate weed killer that you spray instead of getting a weed & feed type product. Even then, it won't compare with the potency of commercial grade products that are not available at large home improvement stores.

You may be able to get some good products at a local shop that specializes in garden supplies. I was able to find a local small lawn care shop that had a real good weed killer but was rather expensive but it worked great.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by eaglefan View Post
    Go to a local nursery that sells sod. To early to put anything down now. Ask them what to put down and when. Ive used Scotts twice in the last 20 years and every time I get more weeds then before I started. For me and the 2 yards I have had with centipede, Ferti-lome has been top notch.
    As for bugs and mole crickets, Tel-star is what you want, golf courses use the same stuff but renamed for commercial use. My experience anyway
    exactly,and in town grass pros other than a reputable company use some water down grass products that promote weeds.

Post Thanks / Like

Water deep, but not frequently. This will promote better and deeper root growth. It's not even hot outside so watering more than once a week is probably a bit much.

Post Thanks / Like

Going to switch to once a week watering. What should I shoot for .5" to 1"?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NoleFan View Post
    Going to switch to once a week watering. What should I shoot for .5" to 1"?
    Here's some good info on Centipede grass. They recommend about 0.5" of water every 3 to 5 days.

HGIC 1215 Centipedegrass Maintenance Calendar : Extension : Clemson University : South Carolina

Here's some good advice from 70fastback:

Quote Originally Posted by 70fastback View Post
    I think you are watering way too often, and would try every other day for 45 minutes. The grass will tell you if it needs more water. Watch for the the grass blade to fold up.
    I was watering my lawn too much. Now I wait for the blades to start folding up or when I start seeing spots that look a little dry and then I water.

Post Thanks / Like

1" of water per week unless you have sandy soil, then .5" every 3 days.

Post Thanks / Like

Problem with the spray stuff, being do it yourself or a company, what happens if it rains after application? Apply to send a soil sample to UF, they will tell you what to put down.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by eaglefan View Post
    Problem with the spray stuff, being do it yourself or a company, what happens if it rains after application? Apply to send a soil sample to UF, they will tell you what to put down.
    When I was spraying it myself, I would watch the weather forecast and spray when the temperature was right and when no rain was expected for a few days.

The stuff that TruGreen uses is normally waterproof within a few hours so it doesn't matter if it rains after that.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer77 View Post
    Hey I am not an expert by any means, and up here in Michigan I got Kentucky Blue grass. So different type of grass and climate. However I take great pride in my lawn. Like Pdqgp said, I would use starter fertilizer to promote root growth. Stay away from Weed and Feed for now. What you want is Phosphorus, the middle number of the 0-0-0. If I were you I would use the starter fert. now, try to plan in out to not put down anything in the summer, too hot especially in the south. Then maybe try to attack some of the weed growth in the fall, or next spring. A good plush dense lawn will crowd the weeds out.
    Totally agree with your call on the middle number. I remember what each number is with this - up, down and all around. First number (up) - leaf blade growth. Second number (down) - root growth. Third number (all around) - spread. While a licensed agronomist might be OCD enough to argue with my method, it's close enough and works for me.

I have a neighbor who got tired of his sod looking bad several years after he installed it. He was literally able to peel the sod back off the lawn because there was little root growth.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast