autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Lawn Care (Sod)

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Lawn Care (Sod)

Quote Originally Posted by NoleFan View Post
    Will look into TruGreen, but I know their treatments for my in-laws yard is a lot more than $50 every 3 months. I have the timer set to start the stages in the irrigation at 5am. When should I be watering to avoid fungus?
    With St. Augustine, it may be the same with Centipede, your lawn is more susceptible to fungus if the grass stays wet overnight.

I have my sprinkler system set to start right before sunrise, like around 6am and all the zones finish around 9am.

If you water later in the day, you'll get more evaporation.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FrankS View Post
    I used to have my own lawn maintenance business many years ago and I also like to keep my lawn looking good.

I don't know too much about Centipede because we mostly have St. Augustine grass here in South FL. There are different varities of St. Augustine, and Floratam is very popular down here.

I too have tried products from HD with varied results. We just recently started using the services of TruGreen, they have products that are more effective than what you can get at home improvement centers, pro grade products, and they know their stuff.

I would also recommend TruGreen. They will work with your budget.
    just simply can't go wrong,Home Depot products are dummy down products for the consumer very weak with little or no results at all.I even tried other pro guys with very little success,but that 29 dollar deal made me call and glad I did.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer77 View Post
    Hey I am not an expert by any means, and up here in Michigan I got Kentucky Blue grass. So different type of grass and climate. However I take great pride in my lawn. Like Pdqgp said, I would use starter fertilizer to promote root growth. Stay away from Weed and Feed for now. What you want is Phosphorus, the middle number of the 0-0-0. If I were you I would use the starter fert. now, try to plan in out to not put down anything in the summer, too hot especially in the south. Then maybe try to attack some of the weed growth in the fall, or next spring. A good plush dense lawn will crowd the weeds out.
    kentucky blue grass is beautiful my brother has it in ny.

Post Thanks / Like

Even in mass if you water at night you will get that orange fungus in the lawn. I think it just has to dry out a little and grow out.

Post Thanks / Like

Personally I would stay away from anything except for organic fertilizer. You also stand much less chance of damaging your lawn, as you alluded to in the OP. Do a search for places near you that would sell it. You can also think of Beneficial Nematodes for you lawn if you have bug problems like fleas, ants and June bugs.

Post Thanks / Like

Not sure if anyone here is in the landscaping/mowing business or stayed in a Holiday Inn Express last night and can inform me a little.

We built a house recently and the centipede sod was laid down in December, so naturally it has been dormant for the most part after being laid down and is just now starting to come to life. The rest of the neighborhood with established grass is of course is filling in nicely.

I have been watering the sod every night/morning since it has gotten warmer, and have toyed with the idea of putting down a Weed and Feed product.

I really don’t want to run the chance of harming the sod that is just now starting to grow, so should I just put down a fertilizer? In the grand scheme of things the weeds aren’t bad, and I can just tackle them hard once the sod is established.

The Weed and Feed I was looking at was Hi-Yield Weed and Feed – 15-0-10. This one was actually referred by a co-worker that has used it on his centipede lawn with good results. It is a little tamed down from the Scotts I was looking at at Lowes, and I have read a few reviews of the Scotts burning centipede grasses, which I don’t want to risk.

So what are your thoughts? In my situation, should I Weed and Feed or just Fertilize? And what product do you recommend either way?

Thanks!

PS: I am in South GA if that helps anything.
    If the sod was cut and installed in Dec, then certainly it was dormant. But the builder has to install a landscape, right?....Try to pick up a corner of a piece of sod and see if any roots are growing from the bottom? Do this around the yard in several places. Sod farms do a great job of fertilizing their turf. If it was just installed three months ago, then definitely no fertilizer now!!! Right now it just needs sun, water, and time. Try to be patient!!

FrankS is correct with watering; early in am and not at night. Just as a general rule, we did 45-60 min per zone of turf watering. Not that long on plants. So many variables...irrigation design, type of heads, etc. I think you are watering way too often, and would try every other day for 45 minutes. The grass will tell you if it needs more water. Watch for the the grass blade to fold up.

Scott's had a problem with their fertilizer formulation and destroyed many lawns in the last year or so. A co-worker got a check from them for $7000 to replace his lawn. I would guess the stuff on the shelves is OK now.

I did lawn maintenance for 6 years; two of them as a foreman.
    We sprayed weeds and applied fertilizer. Personally, I would stay away from companies that apply chemicals. Save yourself some money, and do it yourself. I had training from a horticulturalist from the University of Florida, and training from a Certified Pesticide Operator to get my "spray card" to apply chemicals. I am in the panhandle of Florida, aka: LA - Lower Alabama...climate the same as south GA. Check out the link below.

ENH8/LH009: Centipedegrass for Florida Lawns

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like you are watering too often. Twice a week should be fine, but make sure you are getting 1/2 inch or coverage in each area (tuna cans are good for making this measurement). You want to create a deep root structure to help it stay healthy in times of reduced rain. Also make sure you are cutting it at the correct height.
    Also, try some supplements instead of more fertilizer. Iron and Milorganite will help green up the grass and boost the growth. I also use some tonics I got from the Garden Rebel.
    I used these tips on my Palmetto St. Augustine lawn 12 years ago, and it is still looking great. My neighbor waters his lawn often, and only for short period, and cuts it too short. He resods every year!

Post Thanks / Like

OMG - this is totally another OCD topic! I've gravitated toward Lesco products (not the mixture sold at HD), rather, I would pick up by Lesco from John Deere Landscapes, now known as SiteOne.

I agree with 70fastback's comments on watering. I have a different issue with the large number of zones I have and the number of days per week that I am allowed to water (home association rules).

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like a plan!

A couple of bags of this for the sod? Scotts 5000-sq ft Turf Builder Southern All Season Lawn Fertilizer

Have roughly 8100 square feet of sod in the front yard.
    Stuff is crap,at least try lesco if you don't want to hire a professional.

Post Thanks / Like

I just saw the Milorganite, looks like good stuff. I may go that route and just work on my watering.

I like the tuna can idea. I may be watering too frequently and not long enough, as I have it set for roughly 15 minutes each zone every morning.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast