autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

When Did This Get So Complicated?

I'm sitting here tonight looking at the newb threads, and realizing that although we have so many great products today, which make detailing so much easier than a dozen years ago (which is when I came to the forum world), it's gotta be so much more complicated for a newb, because there are SO many products now.

I mean, a dozen years ago, if you wanted to machine polish, you most likely weren't going to go with a rotary, so there was one machine: the original PC. There weren't any CCS pads, foamed wool, microfiber, there were flat pads, and there were less colors than today, and there was pretty much one diameter...I mean nobody even talked about pad diameter. Most people used Meg's 80-series polishes, there was 3M, and a few people used Menzerna (but there were much fewer choices, just PG, IP, and FPII...oh, and FMJ )

Anyway, it's not like there weren't a lot of choices back then, there were just so many fewer, it seemed like there were less brands..I dunno, maybe because we didn't have the PBMG superstores then. I can just see how newbs today get utterly confused, it was confusing enough back in the day...

Post Thanks / Like

Re: When Did This Get So Complicated?

Post Thanks / Like

Just think about what's coming also ....

Scott

Post Thanks / Like

I couldn't agree with you more so very true Sectec Astronomy

Post Thanks / Like

As confusing as it may be for a new comer, they have the benefit of this awesome community. Many that came before did not have this and had to learn by trial and error.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    I'm sitting here tonight looking at the newb threads, and realizing that although we have so many great products today, which make detailing so much easier than a dozen years ago (which is when I came to the forum world), it's gotta be so much more complicated for a newb, because there are SO many products now.

I mean, a dozen years ago, if you wanted to machine polish, you most likely weren't going to go with a rotary, so there was one machine: the original PC. There weren't any CCS pads, foamed wool, microfiber, there were flat pads, and there were less colors than today, and there was pretty much one diameter...I mean nobody even talked about pad diameter. Most people used Meg's 80-series polishes, there was 3M, and a few people used Menzerna (but there were much fewer choices, just PG, IP, and FPII...oh, and FMJ )

Anyway, it's not like there weren't a lot of choices back then, there were just so many fewer, it seemed like there were less brands..I dunno, maybe because we didn't have the PBMG superstores then. I can just see how newbs today get utterly confused, it was confusing enough back in the day...
    And the haters hated on Zaino because of alllllll the steps it took....like prepping the paint naked for z2p. Like seriously, thats child play now.

Post Thanks / Like

Even since 09 when I first started lurking, it's grown a lot.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JeffM View Post
    And the haters hated on Zaino because of alllllll the steps it took....like prepping the paint naked for z2p. Like seriously, thats child play now.
    LOL, that is so funny! Yeah, all that Zaino stuff, and to a lesser degree, the Klasse regimen, are simple compared to when you get into coatings and flash time and high spots.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree, we have polish that are sealants,glaze that are actually polishes, wax that are really sealants, different mf towels etc. Now throw in Menzerna changing labels and names of their line, DP gone and all the hype/hidden marketing of the new line, ongoing Optimum name changes of their coatings and the overwhelming amount of different pad sizes and colors. Even for an avid reader of this forum, if your away for say a month you really have to "catch up". I guess the best advice I can give a newb is to read here and ask for help. Help in the form of how and why and to avoid the "what's the best....", or "I spent a pretty penny on my ....". I have to say as a forum almost everyone is willing to help or at least chime in a suggestion

Post Thanks / Like

I also think that CG has hit a grand slam with their marketing, although redundant to most of us. You need to clean floor mats? They have Floor Mat cleaner! They make it easy for a newb

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.