autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456
    In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: When Did This Get So Complicated?

Two camps here:

1) Abundance of products=Spoilt for choice.
    2) Overlapping of products=Unnecessary confusion.

To seperate people from their money or win over customers from the competition, MARKETING HYPE became the norm= "We offer the shiniest shine" vs. "We offer the glossiest gloss" and the forum world was seperated into camps of fanboys arguing over identical products seperated only by bottle and label differences.

Post Thanks / Like

I love the word "glossifiers". That can sum up the confusion.

Post Thanks / Like

I think we're going through some exciting times. And I think we have you guys to thank for it. By "you guys", I mean the detailers who do this for a living, the dedicated weekend warriors who spend a lot of their spare time and money supporting their love affairs with their rides, and the folks at Autogeek, Autopia, and the other detail oriented businesses who make all of this possible. The advances have been coming so fast that if one is away for awhile you have to take a crash course to get back up to speed. I guess I'm a geek for real, because it's a big part of my life.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    Was that sarcasm? How do they make it easy when they have 7 products that do the same thing and they all pretty much have the same description?

Back to why I started this thread, I saw a post tonight with someone asking if a particular polish (that was suggested to solve his problem) would work with his 5.5" LC flat pads...and I thought, "does that mean he thinks he might need a different size pad to use that polish?" I mean sure, there were a lot of different pads way back when, and a lot of colors, but how many distinct lines of pads does LC have now? Flat, CCS, Hydro-Tech, Hybrid, HD, Thin-Pro, and that's not even getting into the wool and MF. And in some cases 3 or 4 diameters of each.

I have to say I started on forums at MOL, and it was pretty simple, there wasn't that much to choose from, you got your G100, you got your 3 flavors of foam pad (in one diameter) and you got your 3 or 4 80-series polishes, and that was it. Then someone at MOL mentioned Autopia...and then the world got a little bigger. And now it's just crazy.

Edit: I forgot the waffle pads. Since I mentioned Autopia, way back when we used to preach "process > product", which has kind of been lost and also why perhaps it's more confusing than it was. Maybe I'm wrong.
    Brilliant marketing. McDonalds learned that marketshare is more important than not cannibalizing its territory. That's why you might see two or three McDonalds clustered close together in some neighborhoods, seemingly stealing each others' customers. Marketing studies show that this strategy works because it reinforces the brand, it offers choice in the brand and in the end all locations benefit from the adjacent locations. CG's marketing of similar products that do similar things is very clever. CG is not targeting the hardcore pro. They are going after the SoCal enthusiast crowd, in the photography sector they call this pro-sumer.

In other words, McDonald's is not interested in the fine-wine-drinking organic-fed-beef aficionado. They are interested in the neighborhood family who is looking for burgers and fries.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Route246 View Post
    CG is not targeting the hardcore pro. They are going after the SoCal enthusiast crowd
    I disagree with you on that^
    I think they're targeting the masses who want to be cool like the people in SoCal... That's why you see them put "Los Angeles" in your face at the beginning of all their vids as a stamp of approval = Be like us and you'll be cool.

I'm from LA, but that has nothing to do with my comment there.^

Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn't worry about it, I'm a newcomer and I've figured it out just fine, it's not rocket science. It is expensive though

Post Thanks / Like

I'm a noob but I think it's nuts how companies don't label thier products like the meguires pro compounds do, showing the scale of aggressiveness.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Route246 View Post
    CG is not targeting the hardcore
    pro. They are going after the
    SoCal enthusiast crowd...
    The below SoCal enthusiasts?

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.