autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
    In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

To my AGO friends, With a heavy heart... prayers needed.

Hi all,

Wondered whether I should put this up or not, but being as many of you all are like family... I thought I might share some bad news.

Not been around this week, we've had a family emergency of late.

CarMomma's dad had had a car wreck last week. That first one was minor, he swung wide left when making a right turn and sideswiped a van in his Nissan Sentra. Damage wasn't that bad, but the mirror, door, and front fender all needed replacing. Scratches down the drivers side, but looked like they'd buff out.

Then 6 days later (Tuesday) he had another one, pulled out in front, (or into the side, we're unsure at this point) of a Porsche Cayenne when making a right turn from a stop sign.

This time it took the entire front bumper completely off his Nissan, and finished off what was left of the front fender!

The Cayenne swerved to avoid him and went into oncoming traffic, clipping a Nissan Altima. But by the grace of God nobody was hurt! Considering the speed of the Porsche, her dad was but a split second from being t-boned, and likely killed.

Oddly enough, his Sentra was still drivable, even without ANY front bumper assembly and only one headlight hanging loosely!

Thing is... after we got him, and his car home we knew he wasn't himself. He's never been an unsafe driver, or a fast driver. But with 2 accidents inside a week, something HAD to be going on.

He seemed disoriented that day after getting home, but not hurt. So after talking with them (him and her mom) we both left, and CarMomma went back to work. Not long after she got a frantic call from her mom that her dad had fallen in the bedroom and couldn't get up. Being as she only works a mile from their house she broke all land speed records and was there in record time! Sure enough, he was in the floor and said he couldn't even roll over to even start to get up. So they (her and her mom) helped him and got him into the hallway, sitting at the top of the steps. (only 5 steps)

He managed to get downstairs to the kitchen and seemed to be getting back to normal, so went to go back upstairs to watch TV. Halfway up, he fell forward, hitting the bathroom doorframe and going face down into the bathroom floor. THIS WAS BAD! Blood, scrapes, and severely disoriented. Only solution at that point was 911.

Long story short... after 2 days of testing, CT scans, MRI's, X-Rays, we now know her dad has a brain tumor. (Well they found that in the first CT Tuesday.) But being as brain tumors don't tend to just 'pop' up on their own... the doctors have been trying to figure out where/what caused it, (IE why it showed up). That's where the days of tests come into play. Late Wednesday we were told they found "masses" in his left lung. Oh boy... Deja Vu. Yesterday (Thursday) they confirmed, Stage 4 in the lung, plus a 3~4cm "grape sized" brain tumor.

At least we now know what caused the wrecks. Not concerned about those though, the car can be fixed. Nobody else was hurt, or at least they SAID they weren't at the time. Today however I found out that the passenger in the Porsche, and the driver in the car it BARELY brushed are claiming they were injured. BOTH HOWEVER refused any treatment at the scene, and both drove away from the accident. I'm letting the insurance company deal with them, don't have time for that.

Life is on hold this week, and next week, and the week after around here. FINALLY spoke with radiology/oncology today (been waiting since Wednesday MORNING). First appointment for radiation is Monday, (measurements, mapping, etc.) followed by 10 days of radiation in his brain.

For now... they are not even CONSIDERING the lung masses. One is <2cm, the other we are told is "BIG". No measurements... just "BIG".

Not so sure how often I'll be around the forum in the upcoming days, as I'm handling the auto claim, as well as splitting half days with CarMomma at the hospital. PLUS... now we've (me and CarMomma) got to prepare his home for when he ends up able to go back there. All the usual stuff, safety seats, grab rails, bed rails, stair chairs, even 24/7 care providers as her mom isn't able to care for her dad by herself (early onset dementia). She's able to cook and take care of herself, and even the house, (for now) just not drive, or do things that take short term memory.

On one hand I'm lost here. On the other... been down this road (with both my parents) albeit neither had the brain tumor, just the cancer.

I do know that miracles happen, my mom was one! They gave her .8% chance of making it more than 30 days when she was first diagnosed with Stage 4 that was in her right lung and several lymph nodes. She went into remission for a while, and it was 4 years 5 months before she lost that battle to the dragon. My dad otoh it came quick, and went quick. The difference though was that he lived with us, I was with him daily. He didn't suffer though like mom did.

Always said I wish I could talk with him again. Just stupid conversations, stuff that you'd never talk about. Started some of those today with CarMomma's dad, "Papa Fred". We talked about stuff that I never knew. Talked about all the cars he's ever owned. Talked about how she wondered off and got lost in the woods when they lived down in Jesup when she was 3, and he found her little foot print in the sand, then another foot print, then another, and finally found her tangled up in blackberry bushes, crying and crying. (It'd been over an hour.)

He's never been one to talk much. But we're talking now.
    Heck... we talked about stuff that I certainly can't talk about in an open forum!
    Pretty cool stuff if you ask me, and any other time guys... it'd fall under TMI (if ya' know what I mean). But for now... I'm just glad that we can share his life. I'm looking forward to our conversations in the upcoming weeks, and hopefully months.

I see a project in the future, should be a fun one. He has a 29 A Model 'Tudor' that is a nut and bolt restoration. He did it... must have been going on 30 years ago. Always knew one day we'd end up with that car. Single stage black lacquer on that puppy. When the time comes... I'll be taking my time on that one. Funny how you forget the process of when he did the restoration for all these years, then now... I can remember the steering box, all torn apart, every gear, every bushing, spread out everywhere. The transmission apart into pieces all over the workbench thinking he'll never get this back together.
    Picking up the shell of the body and walking it over the frame to pull it off (then put it back on). I even remember the four of us... hand painting the blue parts of the inset of the brackets in the bumpers. Boy was I young then!

Anyhow.... I... we... would surely appreciate your thoughts and prayers for "Nana and Papa Fred".
    I'll be popping in here and there, but do want to thank you all, my friends, for sending positive energy, grace, peace and strength to walk this path, and fight the dragon once again our way.

Take care everyone,

Tony

Post Thanks / Like

Re: To my AGO friends, With a heavy heart... prayers needed.

Sorry to here that Tony. Prayers sent brother.
    2012 Dodge Challenger RT Classic Bright Silver
    2018 Ford F150 Xlt Sport 4X4 Magnetic Grey

Post Thanks / Like

Prayers coming your way Tony.
    Mike Honcho

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cardaddy View Post
    Hi all,

Wondered whether I should put this up or not, but being as many of you all are like family... I thought I might share some bad news.

Not been around this week, we've had a family emergency of late.

CarMomma's dad had had a car wreck last week. That first one was minor, he swung wide left when making a right turn and sideswiped a van in his Nissan Sentra. Damage wasn't that bad, but the mirror, door, and front fender all needed replacing. Scratches down the drivers side, but looked like they'd buff out.

Then 6 days later (Tuesday) he had another one, pulled out in front, (or into the side, we're unsure at this point) of a Porsche Cayenne when making a right turn from a stop sign.

This time it took the entire front bumper completely off his Nissan, and finished off what was left of the front fender!

The Cayenne swerved to avoid him and went into oncoming traffic, clipping a Nissan Altima. But by the grace of God nobody was hurt! Considering the speed of the Porsche, her dad was but a split second from being t-boned, and likely killed.

Oddly enough, his Sentra was still drivable, even without ANY front bumper assembly and only one headlight hanging loosely!

Thing is... after we got him, and his car home we knew he wasn't himself. He's never been an unsafe driver, or a fast driver. But with 2 accidents inside a week, something HAD to be going on.

He seemed disoriented that day after getting home, but not hurt. So after talking with them (him and her mom) we both left, and CarMomma went back to work. Not long after she got a frantic call from her mom that her dad had fallen in the bedroom and couldn't get up. Being as she only works a mile from their house she broke all land speed records and was there in record time! Sure enough, he was in the floor and said he couldn't even roll over to even start to get up. So they (her and her mom) helped him and got him into the hallway, sitting at the top of the steps. (only 5 steps)

He managed to get downstairs to the kitchen and seemed to be getting back to normal, so went to go back upstairs to watch TV. Halfway up, he fell forward, hitting the bathroom doorframe and going face down into the bathroom floor. THIS WAS BAD! Blood, scrapes, and severely disoriented. Only solution at that point was 911.

Long story short... after 2 days of testing, CT scans, MRI's, X-Rays, we now know her dad has a brain tumor. (Well they found that in the first CT Tuesday.) But being as brain tumors don't tend to just 'pop' up on their own... the doctors have been trying to figure out where/what caused it, (IE why it showed up). That's where the days of tests come into play. Late Wednesday we were told they found "masses" in his left lung. Oh boy... Deja Vu. Yesterday (Thursday) they confirmed, Stage 4 in the lung, plus a 3~4cm "grape sized" brain tumor.

At least we now know what caused the wrecks. Not concerned about those though, the car can be fixed. Nobody else was hurt, or at least they SAID they weren't at the time. Today however I found out that the passenger in the Porsche, and the driver in the car it BARELY brushed are claiming they were injured. BOTH HOWEVER refused any treatment at the scene, and both drove away from the accident. I'm letting the insurance company deal with them, don't have time for that.

Life is on hold this week, and next week, and the week after around here. FINALLY spoke with radiology/oncology today (been waiting since Wednesday MORNING). First appointment for radiation is Monday, (measurements, mapping, etc.) followed by 10 days of radiation in his brain.

For now... they are not even CONSIDERING the lung masses. One is <2cm, the other we are told is "BIG". No measurements... just "BIG".

Not so sure how often I'll be around the forum in the upcoming days, as I'm handling the auto claim, as well as splitting half days with CarMomma at the hospital. PLUS... now we've (me and CarMomma) got to prepare his home for when he ends up able to go back there. All the usual stuff, safety seats, grab rails, bed rails, stair chairs, even 24/7 care providers as her mom isn't able to care for her dad by herself (early onset dementia). She's able to cook and take care of herself, and even the house, (for now) just not drive, or do things that take short term memory.

On one hand I'm lost here. On the other... been down this road (with both my parents) albeit neither had the brain tumor, just the cancer.

I do know that miracles happen, my mom was one! They gave her .8% chance of making it more than 30 days when she was first diagnosed with Stage 4 that was in her right lung and several lymph nodes. She went into remission for a while, and it was 4 years 5 months before she lost that battle to the dragon. My dad otoh it came quick, and went quick. The difference though was that he lived with us, I was with him daily. He didn't suffer though like mom did.

Always said I wish I could talk with him again. Just stupid conversations, stuff that you'd never talk about. Started some of those today with CarMomma's dad, "Papa Fred". We talked about stuff that I never knew. Talked about all the cars he's ever owned. Talked about how she wondered off and got lost in the woods when they lived down in Jesup when she was 3, and he found her little foot print in the sand, then another foot print, then another, and finally found her tangled up in blackberry bushes, crying and crying. (It'd been over an hour.)

He's never been one to talk much. But we're talking now.
    Heck... we talked about stuff that I certainly can't talk about in an open forum!
    Pretty cool stuff if you ask me, and any other time guys... it'd fall under TMI (if ya' know what I mean). But for now... I'm just glad that we can share his life. I'm looking forward to our conversations in the upcoming weeks, and hopefully months.

I see a project in the future, should be a fun one. He has a 29 A Model 'Tudor' that is a nut and bolt restoration. He did it... must have been going on 30 years ago. Always knew one day we'd end up with that car. Single stage black lacquer on that puppy. When the time comes... I'll be taking my time on that one. Funny how you forget the process of when he did the restoration for all these years, then now... I can remember the steering box, all torn apart, every gear, every bushing, spread out everywhere. The transmission apart into pieces all over the workbench thinking he'll never get this back together.
    Picking up the shell of the body and walking it over the frame to pull it off (then put it back on). I even remember the four of us... hand painting the blue parts of the inset of the brackets in the bumpers. Boy was I young then!

Anyhow.... I... we... would surely appreciate your thoughts and prayers for "Nana and Papa Fred".
    I'll be popping in here and there, but do want to thank you all, my friends, for sending positive energy, grace, peace and strength to walk this path, and fight the dragon once again our way.

Take care everyone,

Tony
    I will keep him in my prayers,I know how you feel,I'm living with it everyday my wife is sick stage 4 and it eats me alive to watch her go thru this.unfortunatly she was riddled with so many tumors and lympnodes damage she will have to be on chemo forever.one thing I have to say is docs will tell you your projected expiration date do listen to that ,they gave my wife 6 months it's been 3 years so far.all you can do is make his life comfortable God bless.

Post Thanks / Like

Typo error, I meant to say don't listen to the doctor telling you how much more to live.

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry to hear also,many prayers to u and your family.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GSKR View Post
    Typo error, I meant to say don't listen to the doctor telling you how much more to live.
    Thoughts and prayers for both; Tony for your father in-law and your wife Jeff (GSKR).

Post Thanks / Like

Your autogeek community will be thinking of you all in your time of need. We are all hoping for the best.

Post Thanks / Like

My thoughts and prayers will be with you guys. It is a wonderful thing to talk about all that stuff with Papa Fred...and a wonderful thing for him too!

Post Thanks / Like

The power of prayer is strong when the right things are prayed for. That being said, I'm asking that God provide comfort to you, your wife, you're father and mother in law and all others affected by this. The disease will never define the man he is

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast