autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Dirty Gasoline

SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

Dirty Gasoline

Top Tier Detergent Gasoline
    TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline is the premier standard for gasoline performance. Seven of the world's top automakers, BMW, General Motors, Fiat Chrysler Automobiles, Honda, Toyota, Volkswagen, Mercedes-Benz and Audi recognize that the current EPA minimum detergent requirements do not go far enough to ensure optimal engine performance.
    Since the minimum additive performance standards were first established by EPA in 1995, most gasoline marketers have actually reduced the concentration level of detergent additive in their gasoline by up to 50%. As a result, the ability of a vehicle to maintain stringent Tier 2 emission standards have been hampered, leading to engine deposits which can have a big impact on in-use emissions and driver satisfaction.
    These automakers have raised the bar. TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline help drivers avoid lower quality gasoline which can leave deposits on critical engine parts, which reduces engine performance. That's something both drivers and automakers want to avoid.

I've known about this for a long time now & only use 'Top Tier' gasoline. Be sure to see the 'Retailers' tab, as to who qualifies, to make the claim 'top tier'. The newest to the list was, surprise Exxon/Mobil. The brand was absent for quite along time.

See: Top Tier Gasoline

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Dirty Gasoline

What is the efficacy-rating of TOP TIER Detergent
    Gasolines...as in/for: not leaving deposits on critical
    engine parts...for any of the aforementioned OEM's
    DI engines?

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

It would be very good.

Top Tier came about quite a few years back, as it seems the car companies, were replacing engines 'under warranty' due to, lessening of detergents in gasoline, which caused sludge-ed up motors. If your auto is one of the seven, mentioned (pioneers of top tier), you will likely find a reference in your owners manual, regarding usage of top tier gas.

My Audi has a caution in the owners manual about they only recommend top tier.

Should I make a warranty claim, for a fouled engine, which needs to be replaced "under warranty", my claim could be denied, if it were determined that I used OTHER THAN RECOMMENDED.

So with the advent of top tier, fewer engines (than before top tier) are becoming sludged up, to the point requiring replacement. So the efficacy is quite good.

What's a DI engine?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ricorocks View Post
    What's a DI engine?
    That would be Direct Injection.

SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Setec!

Bob - perhaps this will better answer you question:

Top Tier Gasoline

Gasoline is pretty much gasoline, you could get a Shell Oil tanker truck, getting gasoline from from the same refinery, that other competitors, fill there big trucks. It's at the delivery tanker truck, where the detergents are added.

Post Thanks / Like

It would be very good.

So the efficacy is quite good.
    Am I to understand that you have the audacity
    to actually believe this is an acceptable answer...

When you don't even know what this is?:
    What's a DI engine?
    Boy am I still glad that AGO doesn't
    charge Entertainment Tax!!

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

Them chemicals help remove deposits in the combustion chamber. DI advantage is more power, better efficiency etc since the fuel is directly injected into the combustion chamber, but since the fuel no longer flows past the intake valves there will be carbon build up which will inhibit air flow unless removed.

It does not matter which gas or additive you use with the duration of the camshaft the valves will be opened and cause the build up of carbon over time. It's the nature of the beast of DI. The power and torque loss of the build up is substantial over time if not cleaned. Huge problems on Audi's, Mini's, BWM's, Mercedes, VW...

I remember reading an article to combat this problem Lexus built engines that had port fuel injection during the start up and first few minutes of run time and then the computer switched over to DI. The theory was that the port injection would allow the fuel (and additives) to flow over the valves in the beginning and help reduce deposits and promote cleaning. I have no clue if it ever went into production or solved their problem.

WTH do I know anyways. I run carbs and a distributor still!

Don't believe all of the marketing hype! I laugh when I see a gasoline "marketing" commercial.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FUNX650 View Post
    Am I to understand that you have the audacity
    to actually believe this is an acceptable answer...

When you don't even know what this is?:

Boy am I still glad that AGO doesn't
    charge Entertainment Tax!!

Bob

That gas stuff is all hogwash any way. I run regular all the time in my GC because it's DI and it lets' me. When I ran 93 octane I saw very little performance gains. I ran regular in my Xterra for 12 years and whether it was "top tier" or not, it served me well and never left me stranded in in 12 years.
    2013 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track Edition
    2015 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2016 Pearl White Nissan Altima SR
    2019 Nissan Rogue SL

SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

The program is quite effective at what it does, reducing damage. This is why the program has been around for a long time & still endorsed by automobile mfg's.

Typical your bombastic posting, does not benefit anyone, should you want information beyond supplied, I suggest you use google.

Post Thanks / Like

The program is quite effective at what it does, reducing damage. This is why the program has been around for a long time & still endorsed by automobile mfg's.

Typical your bombastic posting, does not benefit anyone, should you want information beyond supplied, I suggest you use google.
    Yesterday it was oil, today it's gasoline, let's get back to detailing something LOL.

Peace all.
    2013 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track Edition
    2015 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2016 Pearl White Nissan Altima SR
    2019 Nissan Rogue SL

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast