autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

how to prevent scratched door from rusting

So, I was going down a very narrow spiral ramp and somehow managed to scratch the paint of a large part of my rear left door, some of the fender and the door handle (see pics). I went to several workshops and they all recommended knocking and re-spraying the entire door and fender. This will cost me dearly. Just to hold me over until I decide what to do, is there any action I can take now to slow the rusting? Will applying a layer of glaze/sealant/wax to the area be a good idea, or will that react with the metal and accelerate rusting?

https://goo.gl/photos/U7XC1tPEpezU7pJ36

Post Thanks / Like

Re: how to prevent scratched door from rusting

There is no way around it, you have to get these panels repainted. In the meantime what I would is this:

1. Clean the area as best you can using grease and wax remover.
    2. Clean again using a magic eraser.
    3. Plasti-dip the areas.

Plasti-dip is the best option because it will give you the same protection as paint but can be removed easily when you go have the panels repainted.

You could apply a wax or sealant like you mentioned but on bare metal I don't know what kind of durability you could expect. There products create a seriously thin layer and I would not count on them as the only protection for the metal panel.

An other option would be to buy a can of clean coat and apply that to the scratched area.

But if I were you, since there is no way around it, I would simply go have it repainted ASAP and save the time and money doing the temporary fix.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: how to prevent scratched door from rusting

Ouch!

I don't think think a wax or sealant will harm it but it won't really protect it either.

If you have a polish or compound, use that with a micro fiber or a pad it you have it to first remove the paint transfer and to see what is left of the paint in those areas.

Clean up the polishing oils with an IPA mix. Then I would get a bottle of touch up paint and start filling it in one very light coat at a time until it is above level of the factory paint.

If you are definatly planing on getting it profesionaly painted, you can stop there and it will be protected, but it probably won't look great or perfect.

You could try wet sanding if you want a cleaner look and if you want to experiment with sanding paint.

I would start with 1500 grit with a stiff block to knock down the high spots of the touch up paint and get it closer to the level of the paint, then switch to 2000 grit once you get close. Work slowly and check your work often. Then compound, polish, and protect.

I thought about the spray on clear bra type, or if plasti dip has a clear coat that would be a quick way to protect it until you decide to get it repainted