autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

The Force Awakens: Spoilers Allowed! Don't read if you haven't seen the movie!

OK.

A separate thread for people who want to discuss the movie in more detail.

If you haven't seen the film and don't want the plot ruined, hit the back button now!!!

(Sent via my mobile device)

Perfection is attained by slow degrees; it requires the hand of time. (Voltaire)
    2013 TESLA MODEL S | Gyeon Syncro | Gyeon Cancoat

Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Force Awakens: Spoilers Allowed! Don't read if you haven't seen the movie!

All right.

I thought this was a great movie. Certainly the best in 32 years.

Some thoughts:

1. Solo. Not surprised he met his demise. I felt the anxiety leading up to his death because I had heard rumors he might die. Makes sense. Ford never felt Solo was an intelligent character. But, was glad to see he confronted "Ben" and wanted to own up to his lack of parenting and demonstrate that he still loved Ben. The face caress before the fall was a nice touch.

2. Rey. She's definitely Skywalker's love child. That explains her ability to wield the force without any training whatsoever. Maybe her midichlorian levels (hahahhahahahah) are through the roof.

3. 3PO has a red arm just to have a red arm and make people wonder why he has a red arm.

4. Snoke. Not Plagueis. How could he be... Unless he brought himself back to life after his apprentice killed him.

5. Why in the Galaxy has the most powerful Jedi been sitting on a rock while the first order has been growing and taking over planet by planet? How could his ego be so fragile as to retreat half way across the Galaxy because Ben became Ren? Answers. I want them!

Perfection is attained by slow degrees; it requires the hand of time. (Voltaire)

Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Force Awakens: Spoilers Allowed! Don't read if you haven't seen the movie!

1. Wasn't surprised either. It needed to happen and it's not going to be one of these "deaths" that people come back from. It was too poignant and absolutely nessesary to progress the development of Ren.

2. Rey very well could be a Skywalker, but that's not the reason she can wield the Force. She was one of the Padawans being train by Luke. Those visions she had when she touched the lightsaber, those were her visions. She saw those things actually happen. After the Knights of Ren and Kylo himself destroyed everything (or perhaps right before), Luke sends her off to Jakku to keep her safe.

3. Agreed. There isn't anything to it.

4. Agreed. I don't think they are going to do much referencing of anything from Episodes 1-3 if they don't have to and that would be a big, voluntary one if it was true.

5. I don't buy the whole, "Luke ran off because he failed," thing yet. There's definitely more going on that we don't know about.
    2005 Honda S2000 | 2008 Acura MDX | 2015 Honda Fit EX

Post Thanks / Like

A couple of criticisms.

1. The wiping out of the entire New Republic on Hosnian Prime and its moons was severely unemotional for me. All those people killed and I just didn't care. Compare that with the Death Star wiping out Alderaan which was deeply emotional and you'll see what I'm talking about.

2. Maz was a great character, but I was distracted by her being completely CG. Give me more traditional effects with her. Something more tactile and real.

3. Same criticism about Snoke.

4. I was good with Finn wielding a lightsaber, but he was a little too efficient with it considering he's not Force-sensitive. I would have liked to see his technique a little more rough.

Post Thanks / Like

I loved it. It is at least tied, if not surpassing Empire. Now for my thougts:
    (1) Saw Solo dying a mile away. Ford was done with role and they needed to kill him off, but they needed to do so in a meaningful way given his status.
    (2) Rey is definitely Luke's kid. So, one has to wonder if they're going to introduce a Mara Jade like character (maybe Kylo killed her). Kylo's story seems to be a re-worked Jace Solo storyline. Or, Luke's Lightsaber is now a force relic and if so, it will amplify the force abilities of the wielder (but then again, that's EU so may not be true).
    (3) IMO, the odds on favorite is that Snoke is Darth Plagueis and here's why:
    (a) The rule of two- sure there are always going to be secret apprentices but not secret masters.
    (b) Darth P "unlocked the secret of immortality". He was probably too weak to strike Darth Sideous down, so he let him proceed with his plan/ Sith think in the long term i.e. the whole Clone War was just an excuse to have a clone army that could carry out Order 66.
    (c) Darth P doesn't have to be Munn. Remember, all the EU is non-cannon. Its just like JJ Abrams to throw a twist in a familiar plot i.e. the white guy being Khan.
    (4) Luke may want to draw Darth P out and going into hiding will do that.
    (5) Regarding Fin and the lightsaber, I think the New Order Troopers are trained to fight against lightsabers i.e. the trooper with the baton.
    (6) I didn't have as big a reaction to the destruction on Hosnian Prime, but I think that's true for two reasons: (1) we didn't the actors reaction..remember the sheer horror/terror on Leia's face? that will invoke an emotional response from the viewer (2) We're older now.

Post Thanks / Like

My only problem with all of these theories (Darth Plagueis, Rey is Luke's kin, etc...) is they are so incredibly popular, visible, and obvious right now that it makes me think they can't be true. At least not all of it. Again, I'm hoping For some good surprises in the next movies.

That baton the stormtrooper had was a part of their riot gear used to manage bystanders during confrontations. He also had a riot shield.

Post Thanks / Like

If Rey actually saw those visions, then how does she not otherwise recall anything? Trance? Why doesn't anyone know she was being trained... Like Leia? Was this a secret training?

Post Thanks / Like

I think the lack of emotion surrounding the death of the planets is simple enough to explain. In ANH, all we hear about is getting to Alderaan. Gotta get to Alderaan. That's where the good people are. That's the mission. Then, boom. Ben Kenobi's reaction fuels the sadness. And when in the movies have we ever seen a planet destroyed? At this point, we've seen the planets destroyed for 35 years. Not as shocking. Only way to make that shocking now would have been to have a critical character on it or show more gruesome details.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kevincwelch View Post
    If Rey actually saw those visions, then how does she not otherwise recall anything? Trance? Why doesn't anyone know she was being trained... Like Leia? Was this a secret training?

If she's Luke's daughter, then I wouldn't be surprised if he took a lot of care and time making sure she stayed hidden and unknown from everyone, including Leia. So yeah. Trance, secret training, etc... I think all of those things are viable.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kevincwelch View Post
    I think the lack of emotion surrounding the death of the planets is simple enough to explain. In ANH, all we hear about is getting to Alderaan. Gotta get to Alderaan. That's where the good people are. That's the mission. Then, boom. Ben Kenobi's reaction fuels the sadness. And when in the movies have we ever seen a planet destroyed? At this point, we've seen the planets destroyed for 35 years. Not as shocking. Only way to make that shocking now would have been to have a critical character on it or show more gruesome details.
    Agreed. That's exactly why it wasn't effective for me.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast