autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 6 of 23 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Roll Call! Who drives a MANUAL transmission?

Exclusively manual 2-seaters for 15 years, other than a company lease.

- 5 MR2s
    - RX-7
    - S2000
    - 2 300ZXs
    - 350Z
    - Miata
    - MX-5

Slowly but surely working my way down a long list of [reasonable] cars I'd like to own in my lifetime.

Sequential paddle-shift gearboxes make for better lap times, but there's nothing that connects you like working the clutch (and gear lever, and throttle) yourself.

Post Thanks / Like

Daily Driven 6MT 335i BMW here.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Daily driver VW Passat Diesel 5MT, i love manual transmision
    My all cars were manuals, Opel Corsa, Alfa Romeo 156, Opel Calira, Opel Astra, Renualt 19, Lancia Lybra, Renault Espace.

Post Thanks / Like

2016 Subaru WRX 6mt
    2016 Subaru Forester XT

Post Thanks / Like

I can drive manual and had owned one for years. I have moved on to high tech autos and the performance is incredible but I do miss the connection. (except in traffic) I think ever "MAN" and women should know how to drive one but sadly, they are becoming a rare breed.

Post Thanks / Like

Manual in the toy car, but Auto in my daily driver pick up truck. I love rowing my own gears when I am awake and alert and driving for the fun and love of it, but when I am commuting and half a sleep at 4:30 am going into work I am so happy to have a automatic and D for dummy.

Post Thanks / Like

I will admit that i am intrigued by the F1 style of shifting...paddle shift your way up and down and let a computer rev match for me. I'll be damned if i can ever get the old fashioned heel/toe technique down. I know, i know...sacrilege...but if there's a better, faster way to shift i'm in. Ya know for those "spirited" challenges towards 911's and M3's! I'm still drawn towards progressive technology.

Having siad that, i can't ever see myself in an electric car. Sorry and no disrespect to any of the Tesla folks. If i did it would probably be a Tesla.

A manual Tesla!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Puckman View Post
    I will admit that i am intrigued by the F1 style of shifting...paddle shift your way up and down and let a computer rev match for me. I'll be damned if i can ever get the old fashioned heel/toe technique down. I know, i know...sacrilege...but if there's a better, faster way to shift i'm in. Ya know for those "spirited" challenges towards 911's and M3's! I'm still drawn towards progressive technology.
    I hear you. I have taken an e92 M3 (DCT, Competition package, M Performance exhaust etc) out for a drive down the autobahn and their is no denying the performance of the transmission. Got on the Autobahn, buried my foot into the carpet, and banged off gears as it approached redline. All without ever lifting off the throttle.

After that stint, and the throttle blip on downshift I don't think I would ever buy a standard trans in a BMW.

On a side note, have you seen the announcement that the M4 GTS is coming stateside?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike@DedicatedPerfection View Post
    I hear you. I have taken an e92 M3 (DCT, Competition package, M Performance exhaust etc) out for a drive down the autobahn and their is no denying the performance of the transmission. Got on the Autobahn, buried my foot into the carpet, and banged off gears as it approached redline. All without ever lifting off the throttle.

After that stint, and the throttle blip on downshift I don't think I would ever buy a standard trans in a BMW.

On a side note, have you seen the announcement that the M4 GTS is coming stateside?
    I hear you Mike and completely agree. I would venture to say most posters have never driven the DCT in the M4 or a PDK tranny from Porsche in the sport plus mode. It truly IS a manual transmission with two pedals - in all respects requires the same driver input(s) and complete attention making it a much more involved experience than up straight automatic. The other advantage the PDK has is when there's bumper to bumper you can put into "stupid" mode and just chug along with the rest of traffic. My point is simply these transmissions give you options that the three pedal version obviously cannot. YMMV and drive whatever pleases you - but don't criticize something until you've actually try it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by addysdaddy View Post
    I hear you Mike and completely agree. I would venture to say most posters have never driven the DCT in the M4 or a PDK tranny from Porsche in the sport plus mode. It truly IS a manual transmission with two pedals - in all respects requires the same driver input(s) and complete attention making it a much more involved experience than up straight automatic. The other advantage the PDK has is when there's bumper to bumper you can put into "stupid" mode and just chug along with the rest of traffic. My point is simply these transmissions give you options that the three pedal version obviously cannot. YMMV and drive whatever pleases you - but don't criticize something until you've actually try it.
    I work for VW, Audi, Porsche, and BMW dealers so I've driven DSG, S tronic, PDK, and BMW's DCT. I'd still take the manual.

Page 6 of 23 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast