autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 17 of 23 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314151617181920212223 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Roll Call! Who drives a MANUAL transmission?

Roll Call! Who drives a MANUAL transmission?-100-jpg

Roll Call! Who drives a MANUAL transmission?-101-jpg

I recently bought this used ol bucket. Manual transmission of course because the only other option was "Tiptronic" which is their slushbox (torque converter) automatic. I've always owned manual up until the last few years when my last few cars had Dual Clutch Automatic setups. Dual clutch is so damn quick, i actually kinda miss it!

Post Thanks / Like

I know how to drive a standard, but my DD only comes in automatic.

I have added kits to change the shift points and increase the crispnees of the shifts.

I sure don't feel like a pasenger, especialy when I hit the "go pedal" (things speed up real quick).

If my DD came with a manual, I doubt I would switch/choose.
    Crispy 2001 Pontiac Grand Prix DD, always clean (except today) Hobby Detailer

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by anonymoususer View Post
    Roll Call! Who drives a MANUAL transmission?-100-jpg

Roll Call! Who drives a MANUAL transmission?-101-jpg

I recently bought this used ol bucket.
    We should all be so lucky and burdened with similar ole buckets! What a truly amazing car. Congrats, and drive it every chance you get!

I've always owned manual up until the last few years when my last few cars had Dual Clutch Automatic setups. Dual clutch is so damn quick, i actually kinda miss it!
    I'm glad you put this out there. I've been driving for 27 years and NEVER owned a car with an automatic. In the past I wouldn't even look at a car, regardless of how good it was, if it wasn't equipped with three pedals. I'm fanatic enough to even own a couple of t-shirts with manual transmission references.

Then came two recent test drives...

1) Audi S3. The only transmission available in the US is the Audi 6-speed dual clutch. I was seriously impressed. Overall the car is really nice and very fun to drive. Snapping off shifts up or down was a breeze with the paddles. There was no driving experience/fun lost by losing the third pedal.

2) BMW 340i M Sport with Track Package. This car was equipped with the ZF 8-speed automatic found in cars all over the place, but with BMW's unique shift programming. My tester was one of the dealership's service loaners and already broken in. I know the salesman well and we took the car for a...ummm...spirited test drive on empty rural farm roads nearby. Wow. The ZF shifted up just as fast as the Audi DCT, and seemed to down shift even faster. Working the paddles seemed very natural and I was able to work the gears with the paddles instinctively. I found myself laughing out loud. I've never laughed while driving a car with an automatic before...

Considering the demise of the enthusiast auto market in the US, I've realized in order to drive some of the few remaining fun cars out there I might have to compromise on my transmission choices. Fortunately, a few automakers out there have set up their cars with transmissions which give up nothing in performance, and most likely improve it. I have to admit I enjoyed being able to keep both hands on the steering wheel allowing me to focus more on my driving line and less on shifty and disrupting the weight balance of the car.

Phew...I've said it...I'm glad to have that off my chest.

I'm sure I'll be struck by lightening as soon as I step outside.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Post Thanks / Like

My older sister taught me how to drive a manual transmission when I was 15. She had a Fiat Spyder (I think it was a 1972) that I bugged her about until she broke down and showed me how to drive. It was "tons of fun" driving with the top down, and it was definitely a car you could get the girls with. I prefer driving a manual transmission over a automatic now, it's fun.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
    We should all be so lucky and burdened with similar ole buckets! What a truly amazing car. Congrats, and drive it every chance you get!

I'm glad you put this out there. I've been driving for 27 years and NEVER owned a car with an automatic. In the past I wouldn't even look at a car, regardless of how good it was, if it wasn't equipped with three pedals. I'm fanatic enough to even own a couple of t-shirts with manual transmission references.

Then came two recent test drives...

1) Audi S3. The only transmission available in the US is the Audi 6-speed dual clutch. I was seriously impressed. Overall the car is really nice and very fun to drive. Snapping off shifts up or down was a breeze with the paddles. There was no driving experience/fun lost by losing the third pedal.

2) BMW 340i M Sport with Track Package. This car was equipped with the ZF 8-speed automatic found in cars all over the place, but with BMW's unique shift programming. My tester was one of the dealership's service loaners and already broken in. I know the salesman well and we took the car for a...ummm...spirited test drive on empty rural farm roads nearby. Wow. The ZF shifted up just as fast as the Audi DCT, and seemed to down shift even faster. Working the paddles seemed very natural and I was able to work the gears with the paddles instinctively. I found myself laughing out loud. I've never laughed while driving a car with an automatic before...

Considering the demise of the enthusiast auto market in the US, I've realized in order to drive some of the few remaining fun cars out there I might have to compromise on my transmission choices. Fortunately, a few automakers out there have set up their cars with transmissions which give up nothing in performance, and most likely improve it. I have to admit I enjoyed being able to keep both hands on the steering wheel allowing me to focus more on my driving line and less on shifty and disrupting the weight balance of the car.

Phew...I've said it...I'm glad to have that off my chest.

I'm sure I'll be struck by lightening as soon as I step outside.
    Yeah it's surprising how well some performance oriented automatics drive now, specifically BMW and Audi. BMW M-DCT and Porsche PDK are on a whole other level on top of that too.

If you're considering the Audi S3, you should really give the 2017 Audi A4 a try. I have never ever ever ever considered Audi. BMW was always my go to for sedans. But on our test drive of the 2017 Audi A4, we knew we had to have it. Its really hard to describe, but its almost as smooth and quiet as a Mercedes S class, but feels sporty and responsive like a 335i. I think it's as close to the perfect balance for a sedan. You really should try one before committing to a S3. It also uses the same engine as the Volkswagen Golf R, so there will be a ton of mods for it too if you're into modding like me. And it uses a dual clutch though i don't remember how many forward gears.

Post Thanks / Like

My personal point of view is, "If you're not shifting manually, you're not driving." My pleasure ride is a BMW E92 M3 with a proper six-speed manual transmission (three pedals) and a naturally-aspirated 4.0 liter V-8 engine (414 hp). No one else drives my car and I could not think of teaching anyone to drive a manual transmission in that vehicle. My wife drives our daily driver, a new BMW F22 228i coupe with an eight-speed Steptronic tansmission and a 2.0 liter inline four cylinder twin turbo engine. She is a focused, defensive driver with excellent car control skills who never takes both hands off of the steering wheel. Neither of us tolerates distracted driving, especially texting. I believe that driving would be more fun and safer if auto manufacturers stopped building vehicles that "drive" themselves. There are too many "nuts' behind the wheel.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by anonymoususer View Post
    If you're considering the Audi S3, you should really give the 2017 Audi A4 a try. I have never ever ever ever considered Audi. BMW was always my go to for sedans. But on our test drive of the 2017 Audi A4, we knew we had to have it. Its really hard to describe, but its almost as smooth and quiet as a Mercedes S class, but feels sporty and responsive like a 335i. I think it's as close to the perfect balance for a sedan. You really should try one before committing to a S3. It also uses the same engine as the Volkswagen Golf R, so there will be a ton of mods for it too if you're into modding like me. And it uses a dual clutch though i don't remember how many forward gears.
    I may look at the B9 S4 whenever Audi USA decides to finally offer it here. At this point, I'm leaning towards a 440 Gran Coupe. I like the S3 and previous B 8.5 S4's I've driven, but at this point I'm really smitten by the RWD and balance of the BMW. It just felt lighter on it's feet and more toss-able.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Post Thanks / Like

Half of my Blipshift shirts have something to do with the 3 pedal shuffle ============
    2022 Elantra N Cyber Gray
    Some say..."He likes Swedish fish because they're made with caranuba wax"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by alfortuna View Post
    My personal point of view is, "If you're not shifting manually, you're not driving." My pleasure ride is a BMW E92 M3 with a proper six-speed manual transmission (three pedals) and a naturally-aspirated 4.0 liter V-8 engine (414 hp). No one else drives my car and I could not think of teaching anyone to drive a manual transmission in that vehicle. My wife drives our daily driver, a new BMW F22 228i coupe with an eight-speed Steptronic tansmission and a 2.0 liter inline four cylinder twin turbo engine. She is a focused, defensive driver with excellent car control skills who never takes both hands off of the steering wheel. Neither of us tolerates distracted driving, especially texting. I believe that driving would be more fun and safer if auto manufacturers stopped building vehicles that "drive" themselves. There are too many "nuts' behind the wheel.
    I've owned two BMW M3's, one with SMG II (E46), and the other with M-DCT (E90). Prior to these two cars, every other car of mine (15+) were ALL manual. Other than a couple very minor gripes on the dual clutch, i can say, unequivocally beyond any doubt it's superior to the old manual by every measurable statistic. After going back to manual on my 911 Turbo i noticed its 1) slower off the line. A DCT with launch control is far quicker. Compare my 997.1 Turbo manual versus a 997.2 Turbo PDK and it's drastic. 2) It's quicker in every other way too, 3) immaculate downshifts everytime, even to redline, and it's intoxicating (yes i know very well how to heal toe but it's more precise than even some of the most experienced race car drivers), 4) if i'm out for drinks, my girl can drive it with no problem, and the icing on the cake is 5) it get better gas mileage.

However, i do get the point that a manual is more *engaging* to drive. That's why i say "measurable statistic" in the third sentence.

It boils down to personal preference. But what i'm just trying to say is, if you don't have significant experience with a dual clutch, don't knock it or automatically disapprove without a full day of track time or several weeks of driving.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
    I may look at the B9 S4 whenever Audi USA decides to finally offer it here. At this point, I'm leaning towards a 440 Gran Coupe. I like the S3 and previous B 8.5 S4's I've driven, but at this point I'm really smitten by the RWD and balance of the BMW. It just felt lighter on it's feet and more toss-able.
    S4 will be a sick ride im sure! Maybe also consider a CPO F8x M3/M4?

Page 17 of 23 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314151617181920212223 LastLast