autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: can I afford life

Let me give you some much need advice,I've been detailing for 23 years I currently reside in south fla.Im 44 now still detailing everyday ,this is for everyone go to school 50 k is nothing now wife is sick have a nine year old to raise .you have to look down the road things are gonna be twice as much 10 years now . I wanted to make a career change 2 years ago now I can't that ship has sailed.If you want to do detailing that's fine at least get a degree partime so when you get the detail vibe out of your system you will have something to fall back on.To make 50 k detailing you are gonna work ur but off then you have deductions on top of that . Don't be trapped into this profession I see this all the time yes we make our own destiny in life.but if I can knock some sense into u I will.

Post Thanks / Like

Passion can always be turned into profit but, the cost of education can take most of your profit yet, never lead you to passion.
    Shaun Shines Automotive Detailing, VIRGINIA BEACH, VA. http://www.facebook.com/ShaunShinesDetailing

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah dude, I'm forty and am detailing as a last resort because I was too lazy to go to school. Trust me detailing is twice as hard when you get older when your body starts to hurt. You can make ok money but it's not glamorous work for most of us. You should bust your ass in school and land a cush job that can provide you with all the nice things a lot of us can't have. That's what I wish I did looking back on my life.

Post Thanks / Like

Hello everyone. Almost a month since the last post here and I'd like to thank everyone again.

As an update I've applied to NIU and currently in the process of applying to UIC SIU and north central college in Naperville and butler university in indiana. I've also contacted some coaches in some colleges to possibly get recruited into a school that has my major that I want to study while doing sports for them to help pay for costs. I've looked into financial aid a little bit but the FAFSA applications don't begin until Jan 1st. After applying to more places I'll start doing those essay scholarships and hopefully they'll add up and help me out.

I've talked to my brother a bit who currently goes to ECC and wants to go into accounting about the financial aid process. He didn't know too much > (he wants to be an accountant omg) but he told me that when he applied for FAFSA that they didn't offer enough money to make a difference because our parents make a certain amount of money that falls into a bracket. He said they make around 250-300k a year? They are pushing us to pay for university ourself. My brothers very smart, he got a 33 on his act? Went to UIUC but left because it was too expensive and now goes to ECC.

My parents are always working and I'm busy with school sports and work and I've tried researching how financial aid works but If anyone could give me some insight on how it works I'd greatly appreciate it.

Post Thanks / Like

Go back to your High School Counselor

They are very tuned in to Financial Aid

Post Thanks / Like

FAFSA does have a financial "need" component. This need is calculated by taking average costs of yearly tuition against your available assets. Your parents income are counted as your available assets if you still live at home or get over half of your support from your parents. A rather complicated formula exists for the amount of support your parents actually provide, the easiest way to look at it is to take away everything the pay for. If they pay for your car insurance you would lose your car, if they pay for your car but not your insurance you would lose your car, if you pay rent to live at home but the amount of rent is not equal to the amount of rent in your area-you are not paying rent, you are paying for a bed and would be on the street. Once done list what you actually have without your parents "assets" if you have no food, no house, no car, no clothes - you will be counted based on your parents income. However, if you are one of the very few who actually are supporting themselves you can challenge the accounting and possibly gain FAFSA on your income.

In addition look for scholorships that are not financial based.

You can also redesign your plan. Go to a community college to get your Associates degree. Community College is typically lower cost. Articulate your 2 year into a 4 year College or University. Your chance of acceptance as a junior is higher.

Yet another way to redesign the plan is to go part time but continue courses over summer breaks. This can make a 4 year degree take 5-6 years but allows you to work while attending school.

Best of luck.

Post Thanks / Like

Life here on Earth is expensive, but it does
    include a free trip around the Sun every year.

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting... One of my best friends was in the same place as you about 10 years back. He left his nest and his parents didn't give him a dime. He worked very hard (full-time job and school) and eventually got his Doctorate and became a Kinesiologist and he now treats famous athletes daily.

It did cost him 4-6 years of his life, but now he's set for the rest of it. While I went to a 2-year private college and make the same as he does off just off of investments (My grand father taught me differently).

It's hard to compare as University in Canada because it's subsidized here and costs 1/20th of what American University do (a lot of Americans come to Montreal to study at Mc Gill for that reason). Mc Gill is also one of the top Universities in North America at the fraction of the price (ranks 24th in the world).

If cost is the issue thing of possibly studying abroad. You won't have friends to distract you at first and you'll get to experience a different culture.

Good luck!

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456